Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

Thx Cliff - The process of what you do is freaking amazing - and that's considering we know little about it.

Thanks x10000000

Finally got a chance to check this out today. It is hard for me to say if it it sounds amazing, because, of course it sounded amazing before. :) I am a high gain guy, so I was mostly just checking out some high gain amps. My first impression is that it sounds and feels much more percussive. It just has a faster more percussive attack to it. Reminds me of the feeling I felt when I went from a HD500 to the Axe FX Standard.

I agree with others that say they hear more differences between amp models. I will go further and say I can feel the differences more as well. I feel more of the tubby thump in the low end a Mesa Mark/Triaxis has, the quick thud the HBE or D60 has, or the big bloom boom a Recto has. I can tell more differences in this with 18.

Another odd thing is that I notice less difference between amp/cab and studio monitors. Almost all my presets feed both at the same time so I can chose what I feel like playing from day to day. I was always messing with the settings because it would sound good with one and not the other. The sounds were more consistent today. The sound IS different since the IRs are different than my cab, but the main amp texture was the same. I didn't have to over-correct any weird spikes in the frequencies like I had to do before. That overly-smooth "filtered sound" is disappearing more and more with each update.

So, I'm not going to say that I think it is night and day, but I definitely think it is better. Another step in the evolution of improvement. I definitely had a lot of fun just playing today. No Axe-Edit, no tweaking lots of knobs. Just flipping amp models, setting the gain, turning the OD808 on and off, and playing.

I have a Mark III AXE-FX II. I did the beta and the first 15 presets ALL had Rotary on!!!!!!!! ????????????????? I went back to 17 for now...

Possible Bug With 18 Beta:

In one of my presets with 5 scenes, I have a global block tied to my pitch block which was set for intelligent harmonizing for scene 3. The global block, as I recall, was set so I could change keys in case I tune down a 1/2 step, whole step, or whatever, and I could save time. It's been a while since I set it up, but I'm pretty sure that's what I used it for.

Anyway, after I updated to 18 beta (which I LOVE), my pitch block has seemed to have reset to a default setting where no signal comes out, it's now set to "detune" instead of intelligent harmonizer, zero mix, zero output, zero level left & right, etc. No big deal because I can quickly re-create the setting of the harmonizer, just wanted to report this.

Oh, and to repeat, I LOVE this firmware update. That 5153 red sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!

Thanks FAS!!!!!

With FW18 I can now hear much better the differences between amps. I'm now discovering amps I never looked at twice before. Try the Cameron 2. Holy crap.

Yes. That's what happens. It has been said at least 20 times now.

Try my modified bank a that turns it all off and replaces your presets 1-128. Backup your system first.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/02/b...ta-of-firmware-18-modified-by-axefxtutorials/

I also suggest reading and following my site via Facebook or Twitter to know the latest, like the Rotary information.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/02/firmware-18-public-beta-released/

I've been reading this forum for ages now and never posted but just had to say this time

Chris, you have the patience of a saint. Well done sir.

I have a Mark III AXE-FX II. I did the beta and the first 15 presets ALL had Rotary on!!!!!!!! ????????????????? I went back to 17 for now...

1 - Its a beta..
2- you can turn the rotary off and restore the patches
3- you can just d/l the bank A folder Chris posted in which he already went and did this for everyone
4 -this has already been mentioned about 50 times

really? gain is lost? how much of it do you need? not noticing it here at all

I don't need any more gain than I was using with fw17.04 gain is set around the 2 o'clock mark no drive pedal. Don't get me wrong overall the sound of it is a load better, tighter and more focused but it just seems less forgiving. Just gonna have a tweak of it after the weekend.

The Deluxe Tweed has changed dramatically, and I'm not sure for the better. It sounds thinner and like a very gated fuzz now, I had a better Neil Young tone before 18. I've played a couple of 5E3 clones, and 17 was closer than 18 imo.

Jan

Yes. That's what happens. It has been said at least 20 times now.

Try my modified bank a that turns it all off and replaces your presets 1-128. Backup your system first.

Bank A Factory Presets for Public Beta of Firmware 18 - Modified by AxeFxTutorials | Axe-Fx Tutorials

I also suggest reading and following my site via Facebook or Twitter to know the latest, like the Rotary information.

Firmware 18 Public Beta Released!!! | Axe-Fx Tutorials

Thanks for doing this! I want to update my banks but when I download the file it opens up as a syx.txt file on my MAC and when I rename it it to .syx Fractal Bot dow not recognize it. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for doing this! I want to update my banks but when I download the file it opens up as a syx.txt file on my MAC and when I rename it it to .syx Fractal Bot dow not recognize it. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Nevermind, I think we have to use Axe-Edit for this.

The Deluxe Tweed has changed dramatically, and I'm not sure for the better. It sounds thinner and like a very gated fuzz now, I had a better Neil Young tone before 18. I've played a couple of 5E3 clones, and 17 was closer than 18 imo.

Jan

Did you reset the block and dial it in fresh? That's one of the models that really blew me away after it was G3'ed because it got better Mr. Young tone!

That being said, I still find the best Neil Young tones come out of a jacked up 65 Bassguy Normal model in the Axe-Fx II.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom