Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Released

Must be a NorCal Bay Area thing with the FW15 update. Seems you and I are the only ones who haven't quite figured it out. My HBE and 5153 sounded harsh and just "not the same", even after messing with the patches for a few hours. I ultimately reverted back to 14.2 and loaded my back-up. Man I'm glad I did a full back-up prior to updating to fw15. And guess what...sounds awesome, just like it did before the update. If you manage to figure out the new firmware, pass a few tips my way :)

Add me to the list! On my unit all of the high gain amps now produce a lot looser, grainier more fuzz-like distortion and it's near impossible to produce a tight and punchy metal distortion. I finally got something passable with the 5153 model, a drive pedal and a LOT of deep parameter diving, but the older version wasn't this tweak-intensive. This is coming from 13.02, after complete parameter reset and making a totally new preset from scratch.

But hey look at the bright side! Just select Recto 2 modern and turn the master up and you're in stoner rock heaven! Chug out that Kyuss and QOTSA!

EDIT: On further analysis I think the changes in the spectrum are the most blatant. Most of the High-gain amps (rectos, dizzys, 6160s and whatnot) have lost energy in the presence area at 4kHz and also some high end sheen at 7-8kHz. This means that the presence needs to be almost cranked to compensate (would go to 11 with the rectos if I could :D) In contrast the bass response has increased tremendously and now f.ex. the rectos need to have the bass AND depth at firm zero WITH the cut switch AND a low-cutting drive or EQ in front to remain somewhat balanced. The other problem, the "quality" of the distortion can be somewhat remedied by lowering the XFormer Match parameter. I guess there are other parameters, but I haven't experimented with them enough.

Last edited:
I was on 15b. Backed up and loaded 15.
Changed my tones considerably. Mostly the Brit Super and Doubleverb, they were much less driven. And my levels for all my patches were all over the place. Mainly quieter.
Messed with it for a bit resetting blocks and readjusting. Tried the new UR's Cali, Lerxt, and Recto cabs in place of my beloved 4x12 cali.
I think one of these might just do it.
But gigs this weekend with no time to dial everything back in. Roll back was easy enough.
I'll give it another shot next week when updated Axedit shows up.
This is the first time in a long long while my patches didn't transfer well to new firmware.
I know Cliff said 15b to 15 shouldn't change much, but mine did.

Mine change quite a bit as well. One of my favourites, the 1987x is quite a bit less driven between 15b and 15 release, but I’m moving forward :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sebastos08

Cliff, can you lighting me?

i've many presets with the AMP bloc speaker page (for example) tweaked coming from fw 14.03 and fw15b.

if i change the amp block and reload the first one amp, the parameters like the speakers page are updated to default of course.

my question is: if i copy my old (last fw version) amp block with A.E before changing the amp, and reload the AMp block and re-paste the clipboard on, did i keep all the news "hidden' features developed on the new fw15?

or did the paste amp function recover all the paramaters of the last fw?

bump

Bump

I think Sebastos was talking about difference between the Axe showing features against AE (not already showing ) ... So if we reset the amp after copying the block , pasting replace with previous settings but letting the block with the new fw way of working ...
I'm sorry if i'm a bit complicated but I don't know the correct terms for that and english isn't my native language

Aniway thanks , every contribution is greatly appreciated

Just tried Version 15 the first time, done updating amp block. Amazing work of FAS at all!! One question to the EVH 5153 Red model, does the Drive taper and amount of drive change again after 15b?? Depth changed to new default 4.5 I've seen

Hey

I notice you find FAS MORDERN did not work very well in FW15 ,what chances did you notice for that amp in FW15? I use that amp almost all time whit TM presets ,would be nice to know what different there will be. These new firmware updates are very hard to me if there is new tone quality updates ,because I have about 200 TM presets for my unit. And its very very big challenge for me ,to do all presets again.

So far I'm finding dialing patches more difficult. A little mushiness and things seem a bit harsher. Also, while I understand the reason behind the sat switch dropping volume, it also makes it VERY hard to A/B the effects... at least more-so than before. I'd appreciate a button that allowed me to maintain volume. Fletcher-Munson is a bitch.

Oddly, FAS MODERN is not working well so far with 15. Same with the HBE... two of my favorite amps. The Herbert on the other hand was an easy transition and still sounds killer.... maybe better.

Not trying to sound like a whiny baby, sorry. I'm sure things will come into focus soon enough. Maybe I'll try reloading the FW and see if that's the issue.

Just tried Version 15 the first time, done updating amp block. Amazing work of FAS at all!! One question to the EVH 5153 Red model, does the Drive taper and amount of drive change again after 15b?? Depth changed to new default 4.5 I've seen

The 5153 Red sounds awesome!! So does Recto and Engl Savage too. Those are the amps, i've played with so far.

This has probably been asked before, but are new stock preset banks released yet?

EDIT: Derp, found my answer in the OP! :D

Hey

Sad to hear you that FW15 did screw your presets ,that is always the other side of the coin to updating firmwares. You can get new amazing effects and features ,but you have to accept new reforms. That is always hard part to decide do I want keep all new effects amps features etc... and bargain whit old tone ,or do I want sounds exactly same like before to new firmware whitout all new features.

Must be a NorCal Bay Area thing with the FW15 update. Seems you and I are the only ones who haven't quite figured it out. My HBE and 5153 sounded harsh and just "not the same", even after messing with the patches for a few hours. I ultimately reverted back to 14.2 and loaded my back-up. Man I'm glad I did a full back-up prior to updating to fw15. And guess what...sounds awesome, just like it did before the update. If you manage to figure out the new firmware, pass a few tips my way :)

Last edited:
The 5153 Red sounds awesome!! So does Recto and Engl Savage too. Those are the amps, i've played with so far.

I didn't said it sounds not awesome! I mainly use the 5153 model, just asked in the point of change from the Drive parameter after 15b

There's is a slight change to me, perhaps more Drive with the same value like in the beta again?!

Just spent three hours messing with FW15. The new UR cab mixes are awesome (what the hell is a Lerxst mix?). The new Cali 4x12 M160 IR is just killer with Mesa amps. Some of the new amp default level settings are HOT. Had to turn a lot of my presets down.

We have a ridiculous amount of awesome at our disposal now. My presets have never sounded so inspiring.

What next? What possibly next??

Back
Top Bottom