Axe FX II and PT 9...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
I plan to use my II as my interface with PT 9. Is there any II users here that have forsaken their 002's or 003's to use the II as their main interface? I use drum software for my drums, bass (for now is MIDI), if I ever record vocals or acoustic guitar I can bring out my 002. I just want to take my 002 out of my rig to make it lighter. If anyone does use their II like this how do you monitor? Do you just use the II's headphone out? Can PT use the II's Output 2 as a bus send like as in a headphone mix?

Lots of ?'s, I know, but I'm curious and eager to know. I figure I should find this out before I get my II so I can know how I want to set things up in PT.

I'm running PT10 with an Axe 2 as the interface temporarily. The Axe 2 just came in this week, so I'm exploring it's possibilities, and will probably be going back to the 003 with SPDIF connection to the Axe 2. I'm considering purchasing a second set of monitors so that I can hit the power and play, without fooling with the recording setup. If you are a solo artist and don't record regularly, I haven't seen any reason not to run the Axe 2 as an interface. You can program drums, let the Axe 2 handle guitars and bass, and I've seen mention of people running vocals through it. Perhaps there's some method of attaching a single preamp to the Axe 2 interface for vocals? It's something to look into.

I guess it could be possible to use a preamp w/AES or SPDIF outs into the II and record Vox or acoustic like that. My main concern is monitoring. I wonder if I should buy a headphone amp. I've read that people are disappointed with the II's headphone output. I will also be playing live with my II so a headphone amp will allow me to use IEM's or cans to monitor myself. I keep a Rane SM-82 8 channel line mixer in my rig so I can accept independent aux feeds from the mixer for monitoring. I think the headphone could benefit my recording needs as well whaddaya think?

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

My experience: Upgrade to PT 10 before you get the Axe II. You'll save yourself so much time trying to figure out where the latency and delay compensation is coming from in PT 9 when recording and monitoring. And that's even if you're running off a suped up mac. There's an issue with low latency monitoring and using 3rd party interfaces in PT 9 which they finally fixed and nailed in PT 10. Personally, I would dump the 002/003 altogether (I don't even use mine anymore) and get a solid audio interface (Apogee Ensemble or Metric Halo - if you have to go firewire to comp) that can do it all / if you have the cash. You don't need all this extra gear (mixers, pre's, etc) on top of it if you have a solid interface that can do it all. PT10 works flawlessly now with other units and the monitoring is done through Apogee's Maestro or Metric's Mio.

Trust me, there's no need to add extra gear in the chain from Axe to a new Interface, especially with the new 3.0+ update. It just doesn't need it and you're adding layers to the conversion. Minimize your setup. The Axe II will love you for it. You'll see.

Hey Shotgunn! Remember me? We swapped Mesa power amps when you 1st got your Axe! Interestingly, I just posted a pile of questions the other day (see post about 12 down) on how to hook up the Axe 2 with both my PT HD rig and my laptop which has PT 10 on it. My monitoring is done through my Lynx Auroras & HD rig so not an issue unless using 10 standalone (IE Remote) on laptop. My Axe 2 arrived yesterday so I'm digging into all this stuff tonight. In my studio, I'll be able to connect the Axe via AES to PTHD (as GVSB15 suggests above) using my Lynxes. But, remote, I want to figure out how to use the Axe on it's own so I will be exploring these same issues. I also agree that it is well worth the $ to upgrade to PT 10. I'm still on 8 on my HD rig but that's a different deal.

Nobody answered my OP on how to use Axe 2 w/ 2 computers & MFC so I guess I'll just give it a go and see. But, I also want to be able to do what you are discussing. I'll let you know.

Ha!! Yeah dude. I just posted a response to one of your threads asking if you remembered me. Lol!

Sent from my iPod.

Shotgunn / Others: If you're gonna stick with PT 9 this is what a lot guys are using to get around the 3rd party interface monitoring issue which was fixed in PT 10.

http://www.tritonedigital.com/index...category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=20

Thanx dude! I'll be sure to use that. I just installed 9 yesterday. I am really hoping to not need to upgrade to 10 as I really cannot afford it. Thanx for the tip.

Sent from my iPod.

I'm using protools 9 and tried using AXEFX2 with USB and it works terrible and I just went back to my old setup. So much latency it was impossible to use the USB out.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use my MacBook Pro's internal soundcard with PT 9? I would like to edit MIDI parts while on break at work without bringing my 002 or II. Is this possible?

Does anyone know if it is possible to use my MacBook Pro's internal soundcard with PT 9? I would like to edit MIDI parts while on break at work without bringing my 002 or II. Is this possible?
I can do this on PT10, but I need to keep the iLok plugged in at all times. I'm not sure how PT9 works, because I almost immediately upgraded to PT10. I got lucky and upgrade from LE8 to 9 during October, so got a free upgrade from Avid Audio.

I can do this on PT10, but I need to keep the iLok plugged in at all times. I'm not sure how PT9 works, because I almost immediately upgraded to PT10. I got lucky and upgrade from LE8 to 9 during October, so got a free upgrade from Avid Audio.

I loaded / registered PT9 a couple of weeks ago, did Avid send you an email about the free update to PT10 or did you just go to the Avid site?

Thanks,
Richard

Only people who purchase PT 9 between 10-1-2011 and 10-20-2011 were eligible for the free upgrade to 10... BUMMER!!!! Now I have to stick with 9 or pay $299!!! Total SUCKTITUDE!!!

I hope PT 9 doesn't get me fired! Now I can sit at work and mix and edit and tweak. I've been here for 40 minutes and haven't done a thing yet. I better be careful. For the record I was just kidding about that in case some people happen to read this. I'm hard at work.

Sent from my iPod.

I loaded / registered PT9 a couple of weeks ago, did Avid send you an email about the free update to PT10 or did you just go to the Avid site?

Thanks,
Richard

I received an email. I wasn't aware PT10 was in development before upgrading, but they only offered free upgrades to people who purchased PT9 in October 2011.

Back
Top Bottom