Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

One minor comment...I've had software upgrade issues many versions ago, but that seems to have disappeared. No issues recently. Also, Fractal maintains a very nice library of patches, plus there are tons of pros using it.

Well the discussion at Kemper forums went south in a hurry. A few guys there did not like the fact that I chose the way I chose, brought out the accusations and insults, then a mod closed the thread. Pretty sad. There are a few users over there that are really class acts and really sought to help. A few others...not so much. Ironically, those same guys complained about trolls on the Fractal forums and then proceeded to destroy the thread over there with their own attacks and arguing and nonsense. Because I didn't choose the KPA, they claimed I just baited folks over there. Someone more level-headed pointed out that, even assuming I was doing that, what would it accomplish? It just doesn't make sense. And then they jumped all over him too. LOL. Wow.

Well the discussion at Kemper forums went south in a hurry. A few guys there did not like the fact that I chose the way I chose, brought out the accusations and insults, then a mod closed the thread. Pretty sad. There are a few users over there that are really class acts and really sought to help. A few others...not so much. Ironically, those same guys complained about trolls on the Fractal forums and then proceeded to destroy the thread over there with their own attacks and arguing and nonsense. Because I didn't choose the KPA, they claimed I just baited folks over there. Someone more level-headed pointed out that, even assuming I was doing that, what would it accomplish? It just doesn't make sense. And then they jumped all over him too. LOL. Wow.

I'll be honest, you have made an incredibly large impression on both forums! :D It's really funny how easily these things can get out of hand so quickly. It should never have to get to this level just because one person is looking for some advice on a product. You would think we were all discussing the future of global warming!

I'll be honest, you have made an incredibly large impression on both forums! :D It's really funny how easily these things can get out of hand so quickly. It should never have to get to this level just because one person is looking for some advice on a product. You would think we were all discussing the future of global warming!

Agreed, but I do get it. People get very emotionally invested in whatever products/platforms/whatever they have chosen, and whenever they feel anyone is criticizing it, they get very defensive. What's puzzling to me is that even when others don't actually criticize it (my "review" of both units was glowing), they still get upset and somehow convince themselves that you hated it and criticized every aspect of it. It's like they want someone to hate their chosen product just so they have a reason to argue and to justify what they chose. And at that point you have to ask, "Who are you trying to convince?"

It is kind of sad how it gets out of hand.

Even if you would have started the discussion not on the manufacturer specific forums, e.g. TGP, it probably would have devolved as well :(

I obviously have no idea how Ax8 + KPA would work, but when I tried to use the Axe II & KPA together the results were TERRIBLE. Definitely far less than the sum of their parts in that case. I'm not sure which unit was to blame, neither or both really. Fighting levels to prevent clipping was either next to impossible or forced me to run my PA a lot harder than I would've liked - and still only have about the same 'umph' as a 20w head through a 2x12 cab, max.

What did you run into what ?

I ran the KPA in the fx loop of the Axe, allowing me to have lots of routing options for pre/post amp fx, and also mix the KPA amp model with the Axe modeling. No real issues with gain staging in the slightest, and it was actually a lot easier than using a 4CM with a real head.

I think it would be harder to do it the other way around, as the Axe is so much more flexible with routings and fx. Not to say the KPA was bad at FX, but I don't think it would make any sense to use the KPA for its FX, while the Axe, even if you don't use it for amp modeling, still really can be a fantastic FX processor

I said I was not going to post my "findings" from our get together and I'm going to stick with that.

I'll say this. Mbrown3 is a class act and is honestly looking for the best solution to meet his needs. We had a lot of fun playing both units and I really enjoyed the opportunity to give the Kemper a spin. His comments and observations as he played both units revealed that he has a very good ear and knows what he's looking for tonally.

Too bad he lives way on the opposite side of Columbus or I could see us becoming good friends and hanging out playing guitars quite a bit. I have nothing to gain regardless what he ultimately chooses to use and wish him the best in his gear quest. Anyone suspecting that his motives are anything other than looking for the best solution to meet his needs has never met the man and is making huge assumptions.

Agreed, but I do get it. People get very emotionally invested in whatever products/platforms/whatever they have chosen, and whenever they feel anyone is criticizing it, they get very defensive. What's puzzling to me is that even when others don't actually criticize it (my "review" of both units was glowing), they still get upset and somehow convince themselves that you hated it and criticized every aspect of it. It's like they want someone to hate their chosen product just so they have a reason to argue and to justify what they chose. And at that point you have to ask, "Who are you trying to convince?"
Maybe the real reason why you get slaughtered, is because you didn't join the fanboy choir singing "the Kemper is so much better, it's like the real amp, and the Axe is a lifeless modeller sounding 2D" ? :mrgreen

What's important is that you were able to test both processors in good conditions and make the choice that suits you. And you, and only you, should care about what you chose to use. Incidentally, your findings mirrors my first impressions of the KPA, back in 2013. My impressions evolved since, as the Axe has got better, but whatever, both platforms are equally apt... at producing good sounds in competent hands, and terrible sounds in bad hands :mrgreen
Btw I quite liked the Tills Recto 2 profile you mention too, it definitely one of the best clean KPA profiles. I was going to tonematch it, then I played my own main clean preset... and didn't bother doing it, lol. When you'll have your own Axe, don't underestimate the importance of user IRs for cleans too !

You already have it, "Fremen Vibrato Lux clean (100).syx" Don't forget that it is tailored for my specific guitar... And if I tonematched the recto clean profile, I would have use the USA Clean model instead. I may do it anyway next time the KPA is in my hands.
I will upload my full v18 banks not too far from now anyway

Just read the corresponding threads on the other forum... jeez ! I thought we fractalites were the bad guys ? :mrgreen
Which remind me a joke from my favorite French humorist, the late Pierre Desproges : "The enemy is dumb, they think that we are the enemy, but they are"

Last edited:

I took my second glance of the KPA forum just to compare how the discussion went over there compared to here. My first look was when the Kemper was first introduced and I tested one of the initial release units. There are overly zealous people on all product related forums. The FAS community is often criticized for this even though its usually just a handful causing the ruckus. That's the internet for you. I happen to think this forum is tremendous and its users are some of the most informative and helpful of any I have been a part of.

Looking at the thread over on the KPA forum it seems that you received some very level headed advice and opinions. And then of course you had to weed through the few that felt the need to belittle you and add little or nothing to the actual topic at hand. Sadly, on all forums they can be the most vocal and it can be very frustrating at the very least. That LightSpeeder guy has some real issues from what I read. I was confused as to wether I should laugh at his responses or genuinely be sad for him. Wow.... just wow! :roll

If you end up purchasing the Axe-Fx II or the AX8 I have no doubt you will be happy with your decision. I am glad you got the chance to try out both the KPA and Axe and wish you nothing but the best in going forward.

And huge kudos to ethomas1013 for giving you the opportunity to compare and showing you how the vast majority of the FAS community roll.

I said I was not going to post my "findings" from our get together and I'm going to stick with that.

I'll say this. Mbrown3 is a class act and is honestly looking for the best solution to meet his needs. We had a lot of fun playing both units and I really enjoyed the opportunity to give the Kemper a spin. His comments and observations as he played both units revealed that he has a very good ear and knows what he's looking for tonally.

Too bad he lives way on the opposite side of Columbus or I could see us becoming good friends and hanging out playing guitars quite a bit. I have nothing to gain regardless what he ultimately chooses to use and wish him the best in his gear quest. Anyone suspecting that his motives are anything other than looking for the best solution to meet his needs has never met the man and is making huge assumptions.

Thanks ethomas. Completely agree, and thanks again for being so generous with your time and for coming down my way. We'll have to do it again despite being on opposite sides of the city.

Maybe the real reason why you get slaughtered, is because you didn't join the fanboy choir singing "the Kemper is so much better, it's like the real amp, and the Axe is a lifeless modeller sounding 2D" ? :mrgreen

True enough, though I got some of the same treatment over here early on by folks that assumed I was a shill for Kemper because initially I was leaning toward the KPA.

What's important is that you were able to test both processors in good conditions and make the choice that suits you. And you, and only you, should care about what you chose to use. Incidentally, your findings mirrors my first impressions of the KPA, back in 2013. My impressions evolved since, as the Axe has got better, but whatever, both platforms are equally apt... at producing good sounds in competent hands, and terrible sounds in bad hands :mrgreen
Btw I quite liked the Tills Recto 2 profile you mention too, it definitely one of the best clean KPA profiles. I was going to tonematch it, then I played my own main clean preset... and didn't bother doing it, lol. When you'll have your own Axe, don't underestimate the importance of user IRs for cleans too !

Yeah that was easily my favorite profile on the KPA. Clean with shimmering highs, but got a tiny bit edgy when you really pushed it, and it responded really well to dynamics.

So the million dollar question in my mind is would it be better to A) say that neither units sounded good, and he's going back to a tube amp, thus uniting the forums in anger, or B) saying that he loves both units so much that its impossible to choose and he's buying both, thus uniting the forums in anger over one not being more "right"

Looking at the thread over on the KPA forum it seems that you received some very level headed advice and opinions. And then of course you had to weed through the few that felt the need to belittle you and add little or nothing to the actual topic at hand. Sadly, on all forums they can be the most vocal and it can be very frustrating at the very least. That LightSpeeder guy has some real issues from what I read. I was confused as to wether I should laugh at his responses or genuinely be sad for him. Wow.... just wow! :roll

Yeah Lightspeeder and Inrutheout are the two main ones over there, though there are a couple more. Most of the people were mature and level-headed. It's the nature of the interwebz.

And huge kudos to ethomas1013 for giving you the opportunity to compare and showing you how the vast majority of the FAS community roll.

Totally. Really nice guy and he was willing to come to me (well, we met at my church, but on my side of the city). I'm grateful.

I took my second glance of the KPA forum just to compare how the discussion went over there compared to here. My first look was when the Kemper was first introduced and I tested one of the initial release units. There are overly zealous people on all product related forums. The FAS community is often criticized for this even though its usually just a handful causing the ruckus. That's the internet for you. I happen to think this forum is tremendous and its users are some of the most informative and helpful of any I have been a part of.

QFT. I think it is easy to lose perspective when you are passionate about something. Religion, politics, guitar gear they're all tough topics to get a group of people to stay objective on. ;) The irony is, no matter how out of hand these discussions get, no one thinks that THEY are the d*ck. Even if they are. LOL. :D

Hopefully, he is not too put off by us. ;) And, yes, ethomas is clearly classy and helpful, a credit to the community for helping someone out IRL and staying objective.

I always try to be objective. It's my nature.

Ultimately it's a tool used for the larger purpose of making music. Choose the tools that work for you. Mbrown3's #1 guitar is a make that I don't particularly care for. My #1 is a Tele which is not his favorite type of guitar. So what? Too many people on forums waste time arguing about the tools instead of discussing how to use their tools to get better results and to make music. From my experience, the ones that argue the loudest are usually the least talented.

I always try to be objective. It's my nature.

Ultimately it's a tool used for the larger purpose of making music. Choose the tools that work for you. Mbrown3's #1 guitar is a make that I don't particularly care for. My #1 is a Tele which is not his favorite type of guitar. So what? Too many people on forums waste time arguing about the tools instead of discussing how to use their tools to get better results and to make music. From my experience, the ones that argue the loudest are usually the least talented.

Maybe not as talented at playing guitar, but they have a good knack for arguing.......

Axe (or a KPA) is a pretty big purchase if your not serious about music, but some people simply enjoy having gear, and also the resulting online "community" that comes with ownership of certain products, be they hardware effects pedals etc.

I know a buddy who really isn't too into playing guitar, but dude loves fuzz pedals, kind of collects them, belongs to some forums which are made up of other like minded people.

The most nonsensical thing you can do on the internet is assume that everyone else is sensible.

Back
Top Bottom