Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

I'm sure if he likes the Axe better the shipping cost will become a non-issue.

a6UfQ.jpg

Thanks, that's a good idea. But the shipping cost isn't so much of an issue on its own...it's more of an annoyance when compared to the Kemper (which, of course, is the unit I'm also considering). It's one more factor...not the most important, or even important. But it's a factor that goes into the mix with everything else.

I'm in the Columbus area, so if there IS anyone local, I'd be glad to invade your home and check out your gear. :)

Damn, make up your mind already! :lol;)

AFX2, FW18 Bete, Matrix GT1000F Power amp, Zilla 2x12 cab (1 x Creamback, 1 x V30).

Camera is only a point and click - so the mic does compress at the higher gain/volumes. This is only ticking the volumes I can get though really .....

Love that edge of break up. Well done!

AFX2, FW18 Bete, Matrix GT1000F Power amp, Zilla 2x12 cab (1 x Creamback, 1 x V30).

Camera is only a point and click - so the mic does compress at the higher gain/volumes. This is only ticking the volumes I can get though really .....

Cool! Pretty nice tones. It's always hard to tell how something sounds (and especially, feels) via online video or audio clips (despite folks referring questions to all of the clips)...so many different factors affect the reality; how they are compressed when uploaded, what digital format they're in, what speakers are on the playback PC/device, etc. But hearing how the volume knob affects things is cool...not something I've seen in a ton of the other videos.

Its all too easy to get wrapped up in the gear, and often forget that its just a relatively small part of the overall equation.

I owned both (at the same time) and even when calling up the best Gilmour patches I had available, I still couldn't muster the same overall feel and phrasing that David Gilmour posses.

I could obsess and obsess over all the little tech details of each rig, but at the end of the day, DG is going to sound more like DG through either of them that I will, so does it really matter all that much ?

Absolutely - and why I dont post many clips. It gives a rough "this is the kind of thing you can expect" snapshot - but nothing more. It does show the attack with FW18 though, and the dynamics re pick attack and vol roll off if the one thing I think you CAN demonstrate, as the actual tone and feel is not relevant at that point. Its also something thats very rarely demonstrated (with any equipment TBH), and why I did this.

Absolutely - and why I dont post many clips. It gives a rough "this is the kind of thing you can expect" snapshot - but nothing more. It does show the attack with FW18 though, and the dynamics re pick attack and vol roll off if the one thing I think you CAN demonstrate, as the actual tone and feel is not relevant at that point. Its also something thats very rarely demonstrated (with any equipment TBH), and why I did this.

That's awesome...and very much appreciated. Thanks!

For what it's worth. I had a session two weeks ago with a Kemper-enthusiast producer. He asked if I wanted to use his profiles... I told him I'd like to try a take with my Axe first. He put me in red, I took my first pass, and he grabbed his phone and said "Siri, make a note to sell the Kemper." After hearing my tones and seeing me recall and tweak patches on the fly, he realized that he bought the wrong unit.

Also, I have the great fortune to know and work with some amazing guitar techs who's resumes span a very impressive roster of artists (I'll spare the name-dropping). The short of it is that of the four high-end techs, three had other gigs with fellow Fractal artists, and only one guy had a Kemper artist..which he wasn't very pleased with. All that to say, from what I've personally seen, more pros end up with Fractals. It might cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be dismissive of your experience, but there are guys on the Kemper forum who have had similar experiences with studios going from Fractal to Kemper, and a long list of artists, producers, etc, that use them. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that one can almost always cite experiences that affirm their choice. And all are valid when you take into account that every person (/studio/band/etc) and what they are looking for is different. That's one of the reasons I'm soliciting input. Obviously nothing will substitute my ability to play each device and figure out what will work better for me. But often times what appeals to us greatly right off the bat will end up showing cracks over time. I'll probably think they both sound great right off the bat. The thing I have to decide is which one will be the better long-term choice for me. So as much as some folks think this discussion is pointless, it's been very helpful as I try to clarify what the biggest hurdles/benefits of each will be for my needs/uses.

The word "long-term choice" is in world of digital and processor-based equipment very relative anyway, don´t you think? But the AXE concept is far more "open" even though, no matter what you buy, there´s going to be a Kemper II and an AXE FX III somewhere in the future...i believe that if both parties have reached the peakpoint of the best algorithms and FW and programming then it´s the processor-power that determines the quality, and i believe that FAS is in advance...
I have to lead this AXE and Kemper Discussions all the time and it reminds me of the discussions vegetarians contra carnivore :)

The word "long-term choice" is in world of digital and processor-based equipment very relative anyway, don´t you think? But the AXE concept is far more "open" even though, no matter what you buy, there´s going to be a Kemper II and an AXE FX III somewhere in the future...i believe that if both parties have reached the peakpoint of the best algorithms and FW and programming then it´s the processor-power that determines the quality, and i believe that FAS is in advance...
I have to lead this AXE and Kemper Discussions all the time and it reminds me of the discussions vegetarians contra carnivore :)

Yeah, good thoughts. I don't mean long-term as in "for the rest of my life", I mean it more in the sense of "am I going to get frustrated with this a year from now for x, y, or z reason." But overall I agree with you.

Cool! Pretty nice tones. It's always hard to tell how something sounds (and especially, feels) via online video or audio clips (despite folks referring questions to all of the clips)...so many different factors affect the reality; how they are compressed when uploaded, what digital format they're in, what speakers are on the playback PC/device, etc. But hearing how the volume knob affects things is cool...not something I've seen in a ton of the other videos.
have to say that mbrown3 makes some valid points all along the way here (I've nothing to say on the shipping issue) and I for one appreciate his scepticism. 6 weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a new XL. I've only got around to testing it today (long past my 2-week return option, so no turning back now) and after 8 hours straight EQing, testing & tweaking, I've still a way to go before I could say it's for me. I'm a/b'ing against a boogie / Palmer PDI-03 rig that I've been using for years straight to FOH, and even with a 31-band external GEQ I can't quite match the Palmer for tone or dynamics yet. It's very close but at this point the AFX certainly has a degree of that '2D' thing going on that I've read about - compared with the complex organic 3D tone that we hear from good tube amps (and which to a degree, the Palmer still manages to represent). For sure it's an impressive unit overall though, and I'd imagine it's a game-changer for any recording artist where these subtleties can easily go unnoticed; it's definitely way ahead of anything I've tried by Line 6, which it should be, given the price. Is it realistic enough to match a good tube amp direct to FOH on a live country / classic rock gig yet? I dunno, I hope the Salesforce Metallica gig video isn't a conclusive indicator but then again, I've heard the best of guitar amplification misrepresented in a live context for one reason or another... Anyway mine is still on the FW17.03 that it shipped with, hopefully FW18 /G3 will pull out some more magic... In fairness it has to be said, the FX are spectacular! I'm also hoping that these 3D subtleties I'm missing are largely inaudible in a live band situation, here's hoping... it'll be a few weeks before I get a chance to test it through a big PA with the band though... I'll keep ye posted...

Edit: Updated my AxeFx to FW18 beta7, major improvement on FW17.03 for me. Plugged axe-fx into old Dynacord PM1000 desk - rolled approx 6db off bass (80hz?) boosted mid by approx 3db (?hz), left hi flat - into 4x Electrovoice ZX5 speakers. Was able to match my real Boogie -> Palmer PDI-03 direct tone within 10 mins! Playability / feel is spot on too. I couldn't get this in 8-hours with FW17.03 and a 31-band GEQ!! I can confidently decommission my Boogie rack rig for gigs now :) only fair that I update for those reading this in future.

Last edited:
Anyway mine is still on the FW17.03 that it shipped with, hopefully FW18 /G3 will pull out some magic... In fairness it has to be said, the FX are spectacular! I'm also hoping that these subtleties may be inaudible in a live situation, it'll be a few weeks before I get a chance to test it through a big PA with the band... I'll keep ye posted...

You may want to try pushing it to 18...a dyed-in-the-wool Kemper guy said he recently tried one with 18 and said it's great compared to the last time he tried the Axe. I'm not sure what the last FW was that he tried, but it might make a difference.

Not to be dismissive of your experience, but there are guys on the Kemper forum who have had similar experiences with studios going from Fractal to Kemper, and a long list of artists, producers, etc, that use them. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that one can almost always cite experiences that affirm their choice. And all are valid when you take into account that every person (/studio/band/etc) and what they are looking for is different. That's one of the reasons I'm soliciting input. Obviously nothing will substitute my ability to play each device and figure out what will work better for me. But often times what appeals to us greatly right off the bat will end up showing cracks over time. I'll probably think they both sound great right off the bat. The thing I have to decide is which one will be the better long-term choice for me. So as much as some folks think this discussion is pointless, it's been very helpful as I try to clarify what the biggest hurdles/benefits of each will be for my needs/uses.

You seem to be at odds with yourself and just thinking around in circles mate.

You say you want other users experiences, but then dismiss them with a "well I bet on the KPA forum they'll say the opposite" and that it really comes down to what you think. Both quite accurate and true statements of course.

To what end though ? If no one else is you, no one else can tell you what the hurdles/benefits are ? Heck, its difficult to predict our own long-term needs much less anyone elses.

How much is really known after all these pages of this thread ? That Axe owners prefer the Axe and that for every Axe owner there is a KPA owner who thinks the opposite.

If this is such an important and agonizing purchase, with long term ramifications for you, I don't see how you can't afford to not try them both firsthand ?

I bought the Axe first, was happy with it but always wondered if the KPA maybe was better ? So I bought one and found I preferred the Axe. It cost me less money than 1 night out at the bar, and gave me the priceless benefit of knowing that I had the "right" unit for MY needs.

Buy them, try them, keep the one that you prefer.

Don't think of it as the cost of shipping, or wasted money, think of it as the cost for knowing 100%, through direct experience, you got the right unit for YOUR needs.

FW 18 is still in Beta. It sounds great but is not a final release so...

Think the final release is going to somehow sound awful while the beta sounds gosh darn, best tones I've ever gotten from my Axe amazing ?

Are the release notes going to say the changes from the beta to the final version was a "suck" parameter was added, and all amps now have "blanket over speakers" modeling implemented ?

There's no right or wrong answer.
I started playing Yamaha guitars, moved to Ibanez and tried Gibson, Fender and many other " These are what you need " names but Ibanez always did it for me in playability / tonality.
Are they the best guitars around ? No - but for my own personal use I've never found anything that suited my style of tone and playing better and it's the same with amps / fx / processors etc..
It's all down to preference.
No-one can tell you what you like but you.
Wishing you all the best in getting the tones you're after.

All I'm saying is there are too many posts about the shipping. Those costs are fixed. It's up to the OP to decide if he's wiling to pay them.

The other points are more worthy of discussion .

Was my response not clearly sarcastic? We are in violent agreement.

Back
Top Bottom