Axe-fx II 3.0 Clip 03 - PigWeed - DjentMO

Thanks for listening fellas... the guitar is an Ibanez SZ320 with a BareKnuckle Painkiller in the Bridge.. also, added a link for wave download for better quality.

I am not a a big fan of Bare Knuckle Pickups. They make your guitar track sound like a proccessed track. I bought Nailbomb few months back to replace Dimarzio Crunch Lab, but was never impressed, it lacked the character. Beside for Djenty stuff, I would stay away from Bare knucle Pickups. Just my opinion.

I tried to use this patch at practice yesterday and it had no low end... no mids... all high end... crazy how something sounds decent for recording but crap for live use. Funny thing is my other clips are the exact same patches I'm using live and they sound fantastic...

What pickup would you recommend?

I guess it depends upon your preference.

I have tried a lot of pickups......I prefer Dimarzio Crunch Lab. Especially, my Music Man JPX 7 (7 String) sounds insane with that pickup! If your guitar has a Mahogany body, try Crunch Lab.

Yep, after a second listen it sure sounds double tracked.

But, that brings up a question (sorry for the minor thread hijack)... has anyone been able to use the Enhancer block to truly get a good double tracked sound? I've gotten somewhat close, but still not there.

Enhancer block with give some stereo width to your track, but can never replace a TRUE double tracked guitar sound (Esp for metal rhythm tracks). Enhancer are good for playing live when you dont have two guitarists in your band.

I would rather prefer this then an enhancer block:
> Split my signal into two path, pan one right and one left (75-100%)
> Use a different amp/cab combination for the second path.
> Add a delay before the amp,
> Mix only wet signal, level 100%
> Only 1 feedback,
> And add a modifier to your "Delay time" parameter to modulate between 7 ms to 18 ms (depends upon your preference).
> Also if you could modulate the volume of this path by 2-5%, that would be even better

This will give you a better dual guitar sound when playing live.

Double tracked... I'm not a big fan of quad tracking... makes it a bit too muddy.

The Enhancer block works great for live use... for recording it's not as convincing as double tracking...

With regards to the Petrucci pickups... I was doing some research for a new pickup and heard Misha playing the new Petrucci pickup and it was not tight at all... very loose and muddy... then I heard a couple of samples of the older Petrucci pickups and it was more of the same.

I am not a a big fan of Bare Knuckle Pickups. They make your guitar track sound like a proccessed track. I bought Nailbomb few months back to replace Dimarzio Crunch Lab, but was never impressed, it lacked the character. Beside for Djenty stuff, I would stay away from Bare knucle Pickups. Just my opinion.
Seems like you chose the wrong BKP pickup for your needs. What other BKP's have you tried, to make this bold statement?

Double tracked... I'm not a big fan of quad tracking... makes it a bit too muddy.

With regards to the Petrucci pickups... I was doing some research for a new pickup and heard Misha playing the new Petrucci pickup and it was not tight at all... very loose and muddy... .

Like I said, it is not just the Pickup, but rather a combination of Pickup and Guitar wood.........and ofcourse amp/cab...etc.

Enhancer block with give some stereo width to your track, but can never replace a TRUE double tracked guitar sound (Esp for metal rhythm tracks). Enhancer are good for playing live when you dont have two guitarists in your band.

I would rather prefer this then an enhancer block:
> Split my signal into two path, pan one right and one left (75-100%)
> Use a different amp/cab combination for the second path.
> Add a delay before the amp,
> Mix only wet signal, level 100%
> Only 1 feedback,
> And add a modifier to your "Delay time" parameter to modulate between 7 ms to 18 ms (depends upon your preference).
> Also if you could modulate the volume of this path by 2-5%, that would be even better

This will give you a better dual guitar sound when playing live.

Thanks for the tips, Izzy... I'll give that a try!

Back
Top Bottom