Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.02 Public Beta (Beta 2)

Usually a pause means something additionally cool is coming.
…or that someone is on vacation, traveling, or is sick, or they’re working on tracking down and fixing a particularly evasive bug.

Sometimes a pause means something interesting is coming, sometimes there is no pause and Cliff simply drops it in our laps because that particular thing was finished on the heels of something else.

No.

The reset only applies to the block in the grid inside the modeler. The library exists on your computer disk.
I guess what I'm saying/asking is if I "reset" an amp in the unit to new firmware then transfer the saved amp model block with all tweaks back into the preset does all those tweaks transfer to the "updated" amp? This might be simplistic attempt at my thought process, but, Cliff just re-capped and put new tubes in my amp, I just want to put all my settings back in one mass swoop...wrong thinking?
Am I really missing out if I never reset amps?

I guess what I'm saying/asking is if I "reset" an amp in the unit to new firmware
I'm not sure you understand what resetting does (this is a must-read) and how Edit works with the modeler.

The block and its containing preset are always in the unit, the Edit application only displays it in a GUI, similar to a terminal attached to a mainframe displaying a page.

then transfer the saved amp model block with all tweaks back into the preset does all those tweaks transfer to the "updated" amp?

The amp block is already in a preset. Every change you make in Edit or from the front-panel immediately affects the block in the preset, but it's only in temporary memory. You could then Save the preset to write it from temporary to permanent memory if you want the change(s) to remain when you switch presets.

Updating an Amp block in a preset only applies to that particular block in that preset unless that block is defined as a Global Block, then it'll apply to all instances of that global block across all presets. If you use the same Amp block in multiple presets, then it might be good to go through all those presets and point them at one global instance of that block. You might be able to use the Parameter Batch Set feature in Edit to help do that.

Am I really missing out if I never reset amps?
You only find out by trying. There are only two times I think it matters:
  • If you have a preset that was created prior to the last time Cliff made a change and specifically said a reset was needed.
  • If you made a bunch of changes and didn't like the sound and want to get back to the known/default state.
In the second case I HIGHLY recommend exporting the preset or backing it up or copying it to a different slot and working on that copy or, immediately before beginning your editing, click the Snapshot Tool so you establish a baseline then click it each time you reach a state you want to keep.

Again, read the "resetting" link above. It covers the situation well.

I wait exactly 5 seconds after turning the Axe off.....moving around my desk to see the clock with a second hand, watch the second hand and wait for the it to hit one of the hour markers, watch it for 5 seconds, go back to the desk, sit down and turn on the Axe III.

I wonder if I'm the only one whos heart sinks for the half second between flipping the power switch and the lights turning on. 😅
I loaded firmware earlier today and was greeted with the white screen on boot up :(

Power cycle - white screen again.

Emergency Boot mode and reloaded the firmware again. Then power cycle to the glorious Turbo splash screen!

Edit:

I should note that this was on my FM9... But I suspect the feeling is the same regardless ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom