Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fizz is a high-end issue that's been around for over 4 decades. An early example (c. 1982) would be Scorpions No One Like You.

Okay, but what's your point? I was responding to the claim that fizz is essential for cutting through a mix and that it's what well-mixed guitars sound like. There may be examples of well-mixed guitars with fizz, but there are plenty of examples without it, hence the list.
More than happy to be corrected by someone who knows better. I know I don’t like fizz, which I define as a kind of radio static sound, so I tried to dial it out and then struggled in the mix. I should find that quote from Cliff regard fizz, I may have misread/misunderstood, but I took it to mean it was counterproductive to obsess over your isolated tone if what you really need is to cut through. Perhaps I’m making a false conflation of ‘fizz’ with general high-end content (perhaps “sizzle 😂)

Last edited:
Fizz is a high-end issue that's been around for over 4 decades.

That may be the case. But until this thread, I’d never — in over four decades as a musician and electric guitarist — never, ever heard the word “fizz” applied to amplified, overdriven electric guitar tone. So, I can be forgiven for still believing (even after all the debate in this thread) that this falls mostly into the “internet flame wars” category. I would remember having read at least one of my guitar influences mention it along the way. I would remember encountering other mix engineers pointing it out as a discrete problem/issue.

“Fizz” may be a real thing — a component of amplified overdriven guitar tone — but it has never been as important as it is here among we geeky guitarists in this one isolated thread.

FWIW, I regard the legit case of Diesel owners, who know their amps, expressing concern regarding authentic Diesel tone vs. a Fractal facsimile as a separate issue. Their concern was a practical “A really doesn’t sound like B” issue. It wasn’t a debate about the existence/importance/non-importance of anything.

FWIW, I regard the legit case of Diesel owners, who know their amps, expressing concern regarding authentic Diesel tone vs. a Fractal facsimile as a separate issue. Their concern was a practical “A really doesn’t sound like B” issue.
IDK, Diezel VH4 was my go-to from about 2005-2015, and I'd say the Fractal model is pretty close to how I remember it... maybe I missed it, what's the complaint?

We all have our opinions, likes and dislikes and tone preferences. I know many prefer the fizz and feel it's needed to cut through the mix. For me, fizz is like playing through a terribly configured cheap solid state amp.
I dial out most of it and prefer a more fluid tone, especially high gain. I've never had issues with cutting through the mix.

Okay, but what's your point? I was responding to the claim that fizz is essential for cutting through a mix and that it's what well-mixed guitars sound like. There may be examples of well-mixed guitars with fizz, but there are plenty of examples without it, hence the list.
My point was responding to @316ms. Otherwise, making comments on a forum, cos why not?

I disagree that fizz was a concern before the advent of massive gain and track pants. Rectifiers and Uberschalls o mai

CC: "The whole impetus for V10 was actually due to the Rectos. I hooked up my Dual Recto one day and was A/B'ing to the Axe-Fx. The real amp had this fizz and sizzle on the notes whereas the Axe-Fx did not. If you play a single note you can hear a crackling noise on the decay, almost like frying bacon or something. The Ax-Fx was more smooth fuzz on the decay. I sat there wondering why the Axe-Fx lacked this sizzle..."

Americans love bacon, the smell of bacon, the sound of sizzling bacon, and getting burned eating bacon that hasn't cooled yet.

Okay, but what does that have to do with my post?
I guess you must have had something to do with a post about fizz you think I attributed to you? I don't even remember you in context, I just made a forum post cos I felt like it.

Who even cares? Guitarists are a tough crowd.

I guess you must have had something to do with a post about fizz you think I attributed to you?
You specifically referenced Boston and Barracuda in this post, and I'm the only one who's mentioned them in this thread prior to that, thus you were obviously referencing that post with regard to fizz.

That may be the case. But until this thread, I’d never — in over four decades as a musician and electric guitarist — never, ever heard the word “fizz” applied to amplified, overdriven electric guitar tone.
References to 'fizz' can be found on myriad forums(as well as YouTube), and guys like Andrew Scheps, Ross Hogarth, and Johnny K have mentioned it.

So, I can be forgiven for still believing (even after all the debate in this thread) that this falls mostly into the “internet flame wars” category.
No idea what flame war you're referring to, but there's no dearth of references to it on the internet.

“Fizz” may be a real thing — a component of amplified overdriven guitar tone — but it has never been as important as it is here among we geeky guitarists in this one isolated thread.
There are plenty of other threads about it on this and other forums. Have you tried a Google search?

Last edited:
IMO More than a feeling is not only fizzy
How are you defining fizz? It's called 'fizz' because, in isolation, it sounds fizzy (like carbonation or hiss). The guitars in More Than A Feeling don't exhibit that. In terms of distortion, the top-end of the song is pretty darn smooth. Further, you can visibly see fizz using a spectrum analyzer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom