Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about for the next FW update, allow us to do Amp Model trade-ins.
For example: I would trade all JVM models including the Satriani ones for a JCM 2K DSL (even if only the Crunch & Lead1 modes-with tone switch disengaged).
The Brit Silver Lexerst for the real deal....or even the newer 20 watt Studio model- but has to have both channels including the Lead Master Volume knob- you could even leave out the pull boost.

I was recently listening to Black Country Communion and apparently Bonamassa used the clean channel of a JCM 2000 with a tube screamer. I thought the tone was great. I don’t think we’d get the clean channel though, a bunch of multi channel amps in the AF3 are missing them.

Yup. He also used them live on the one very brief US Tour they did. I was lucky enough
catch a show and be right up front. Righteous!

I had to dial back Depth to almost nothing, and Bass back quite a bit on my high gain Atomica preset. This isn’t so much a complaint, as I always expect to have to tweak some things when a big update drops. But yeah, it was very boomy. I can hear the “crunch > fizz” thing for sure. I don’t doubt that it’s more accurate but it was a little off-putting on my super detuned stuff, which I previously had very well tamed. I still don’t love it but I’ll come back to it tomorrow with fresh ears.

EDIT: I found the problem. The update reset the low cut in the preamp section of the amp block all the way back to 10 hz.

Last edited:
What specific version of Axe-Edit? People often say "latest" but aren't actually on the latest...

Alternately try another USB cable and another port.
Axe-Edit 1.12.10. It all worked with the current USB cable (grand new) before I upgraded the firmware a few minutes ago. Fractal Bot works. It upgraded the firmware.

Axe-Edit 1.12.10. It all worked with the current USB cable (grand new) before I upgraded the firmware a few minutes ago. Fractal Bot works. It upgraded the firmware.
Also make sure you are running the latest Fractal usb drivers if you are on Windows. My Axe Edit just quit connecting out of the blue
about a month ago and updating those drivers fixed it right up.

Good LORD MAN, the JCM 800's are absolutely BRILLIANT in v21!!! Upon updating I was immediately transported back to "the day", I finally just now put my axe down after 4 straight hours of JCM 800 goodness!!! My presets were damn good in 20.04, but they are absolutely incredible now! I haven't even tried another amp yet, just played my JCM 800 preset all damned DAY!! My fucking FACE HURTS from grinning. The string response, the tightened low end, the heightened clarity all just jumped to life the moment I fired up my presets.

Wiping a tear of joy from my cheek, I have to say you absolutely drove the last nail in the coffin with this release for anyone who still says, iike I did for so many years, that "modeling just can't compete with the real thing". I really don't miss my stack at all now save for the memories, and the rest of my Marshall museum I fear just became a Marshall graveyard overnight. A beautiful, toneful, expensive graveyard. I don't see any need to fire them up except for a nostalgia's sake, because the AxeFx III Turbo is now complete, for me, it's reached perfection and I just can't imagine how current features improve, but I suppose that's been said many times by many folks with many previous firmware releases, so I'm excited for the future of this product too.

Now to go rediscover 300 additional amps of distinction I have at my fingertips via the magic of Cygnus-2. DAMN I'm so happy!!!

(Special mention to @York Audio for the Marshall 412 T75 pack!!! YA MRSH 412 T75 Mix 13 is SO GODDAMNED PERFECT in my setup it really brings my JCM800 setup to life!!! That whole pack is incredible, if you're a Marshall fan from the 80's/90's, you won't be sorry you picked this pack up, it IS the cabs you remember!! No other 4x12 T75 cabinet pack has come close to what York put out in this pack!)

Thanks Cliff, and crew! My cup overfloweth!!!

We've done the high gain chugga chugga comparison, so let's try something a little different. I absolutely love the sound of my tele through a cranked Matchless DC-30. There's a complex overdrive and musical glassy edge to that amp that sounds pretty and powerful at the same time. My Matchless 2x12 ESD cab is in my storage unit at the moment, so I used a Fractal LB-2 load box for the amp. Both the amp and model are using the LB-2 US speaker impedance curve and going through the same IR.

Here's my '93 Sampson era Matchless C-30 head A/B'ed with the Matchbox D-30 model. It's just an amp and a cab, so no additional drives, compressors, or EQs were used.

Man! Fantastic tone as always! What IR did you use, and what guitar?

I had a similar experience to @York Audio years ago when I was gigging with a DSL50. Ended up with a JVM as a backline amp for a fly date and it was a very different animal. one can never have too many Marshalls though, right?
Cool thing with the Axe III is you no longer need the other Marshalls as backups!!

All kidding aside, Marshalls have been responsible for more than a few distinct, legendary tones. There's a reason why many successful 'boutique' amps and builders use Marshall circuits; they simply sound great.

I had to dial back Depth to almost nothing, and Bass back quite a bit on my high gain Atomica preset. This isn’t so much a complaint, as I always expect to have to tweak some things when a big update drops. But yeah, it was very boomy. I can hear the “crunch > fizz” thing for sure. I don’t doubt that it’s more accurate but it was a little off-putting on my super detuned stuff, which I previously had very well tamed. I still don’t love it but I’ll come back to it tomorrow with fresh ears.
Change your IR :D

Man.. That Plate Suppr. Diodes ... I play mainly with headphones and this is the most valuable thing you have released since 2019 in my opinion. It is a one-click removal of most annoying frequencies.. Pure gold!
hmm, I don’t hear this effect in many amps I tried. Does this work on marshall-style circuits only ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom