Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00_beta7.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Added features to the IR Capture Utility. The manual will be updated with the relevant information.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Changed tone stack tapers for Class-A 30W TB to vintage specs.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in USA JP IIC+ models when Presence Shift is off.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value and wrong feedback network connection in Energyball model.

Fixed missing resistor in Euro Uber tone stack.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Awesome guys

Bug: I'm certain the Dizzy Silver VH2 and VH3 are named the wrong way round again.
just a bit confused really... what is it with those Diezels being constantly questioned and probably the models most called out as "off"? going way back to early II days if not even Ultra days and for every "off" call they are "verified" as "identical" to the real reference amp (eventhough they seem to have changed quite a bit over time). have the reference amps changed (different versions as shown above) ? is it the one builder that makes amps that can just not be correctly recreated by FAS? these Diezel discussions seem to pop up with almost every major FW change. maybe Cliff should just ditch the models and be done with it ;) ...

just a bit confused really... what is it with those Diezels being constantly questioned and probably the models most called out as "off"? going way back to early II days if not even Ultra days and for every "off" call they are "verified" as "identical" to the real reference amp (eventhough they seem to have changed quite a bit over time). have the reference amps changed (different versions as shown above) ? is it the one builder that makes amps that can just not be correctly recreated by FAS? these Diezel discussions seem to pop up with almost every major FW change. maybe Cliff should just ditch the models and be done with it ;) ...

Could it be that the reference amp needs new tubes or servicing? I would think Cliff would hear that and know the source amp is not right.

IMO it's more that Diezel's signature tone is hard to pin down and seems to mean something different to everyone. On top of that, the Herbert is a fizz firehose and difficult to tame and also weighs 9 trillion pounds. VH4 ch 3 is one of the most versatile channels ever made, but the Hagen is the best overall amp they have. It's more akin to the Bogner Ecstacy but with the Diezel grunt. Yes it does metal as does the Ecstacy.

was thinking the same. Questionimg my old brain, just went back several years into post history to find the exact same exchanges: "dizzy sounds off", "dizzy silver 2,3 seem reversed"... lol!

Man, rippin!!!! The mix sounds great! Can I ask, what did you do for this demo?? What drum software did you use and how did you mix all of this? Any 2 bus processing? I would love to see you do a video on this!
Slate SSD5 for the drums, Submission Audio eurobass for bass, double tracked guitars and I slapped Izotope Ozone on the master bus and let it auto generate a mastering chain. I'm due to do a video on how I do quick demo tracks.

just a bit confused really... what is it with those Diezels being constantly questioned and probably the models most called out as "off"? going way back to early II days if not even Ultra days and for every "off" call they are "verified" as "identical" to the real reference amp (eventhough they seem to have changed quite a bit over time). have the reference amps changed (different versions as shown above) ? is it the one builder that makes amps that can just not be correctly recreated by FAS? these Diezel discussions seem to pop up with almost every major FW change. maybe Cliff should just ditch the models and be done with it 😉
VW Gate - as a result they got rid of all diesel engines in NA (well almost)… now they target the amps…

was thinking the same. Questionimg my old brain, just went back several years into post history to find the exact same exchanges: "dizzy sounds off", "dizzy silver 2,3 seem reversed"... lol!
right !?! it's almost like they're cursed with a seemingly never ending tale of (accused) swapped channels, previous verified models suddenly sounding very different and closer to newer versions that didn't exist a few years back... it's slowly turning into an almost entertaining soap :)

Herbie ch3 and VH4 silver 3 sound really bad like a fuzz pedal DI.
freeBase, 5/2012: "As a rock producer/engineer based in LA, I can attest to the massive use of VH4 Ch 3 on more modern rock sessions over the last 5 years than most other amps, definitely more than Ch 4."

Something doesn't seem to fit here...

Also, IF Cliff has both(?) the Blue and Silver amps, only differing a little ("Blue darker than Silver"), seems it would be hard to get it wrong, so to speak, esp. since he figured out their secrets during Quantum firmware. Meaning, we should trust the models, or try and find out if that channel is known for quickly destroying tubes and the like... I suspect owners will probably deny that, so we have an enigma on our hands...? :D

I have no opinion on this one myself, I'm just remembering cool notes from back in the day...

clarky, 6/2013: "There's something about the real VH4. Someone called it 'pixie dust' and I reckon that's about right. Ch3 sounds like a crunchy amp, but feels like a hi-gain amp – it's nuts… and awesome."

Last edited:
Something doesn't seem to fit here...

Also, IF Cliff has both the Blue and Silver amps(?), only differing a little ("Blue darker than Silver"), seems it would be hard to get it wrong, so to speak, esp. since he figured out their secrets during Quantum firmware. Meaning, we should trust the models, or try and find out if that channel is known for quickly destroying tubes and the like... I suspect owners will probably deny that, so we have an enigma on our hands...? :D
Sometimes amps get messed up in betas, and now that I had a few minutes with these models in beta 7, they're definitely off in comparison to fw20.00 . Herbie more than VH3 silver.

It's not like it's something personal when shit doesn't sound or feel right, which is obviously subjective but when enough people make note in a beta thread, it's probably worth a second look.

Question: When you reset the 1959 SLP jumped (or Treble) the bright cap resets to 4700. Is that correct? I thought it used to be at 4999. Which is correct?
Technically speaking, Marshall used whatever they had laying around as bright caps back in the day, plus the sonic differences between 4700pf and 5000pf bright caps are extremely marginal to say the least, so, they're both historically correct LOL!

In addition, they were mostly 10% tolerance caps, so either marking could measure the same or different.

That said, use your ears and set to suit.

Last edited:
If there's not something wrong with Herbie ChH3 then there's something that changed in a way that's conflicting with settings that some of us have (although, I've been trying to work with a reset channel, and it still sounds stuttery and fuzzy, almost like it's being run through a fuzz, hard limiter, and gate). And it's not speaker drive; I already reverted that.

I’m so glad I still have my Diezel VHX after trying this beta, so I can quickly compare with fractal. Vhx can do all diezel sounds btw. I’m also long time user of herberts and vh4’s and can say that this fw has definitely made diezels sounding like a broken pedal. If you love real diezel sound, this beta is not for you. As has been said here already - use different amp if you don’t like it or roll back to last official fw release.

Last edited:
Could it be that the reference amp needs new tubes or servicing? I would think Cliff would hear that and know the source amp is not right.
I've been trying to locate the source but I read that Cliff has every amp thoroughly checked for 'as new' or optimal operating condition. The article, post or blog stated that he has amps repaired or overhauled if there is anything that is not up to the amps factory standards or tolerances.

Maybe those who find the amp models different than the physical amp should have their reference amps checked. With the level of perfection that FAS strives for and how meticulous Cliff seems to be, it doesn't really make sense that he's the one to question.

I've been trying to locate the source but I read that Cliff has every amp thoroughly checked for 'as new' or optimal operating condition. The article, post or blog stated that he has amps repaired or overhauled if there is anything that is not up to the amps factory standards or tolerances.

Maybe those who find the amp models different than the physical amp should have their reference amps checked. With the level of perfection that FAS strives for and how meticulous Cliff seems to be, it doesn't really make sense that he's the one to question.
We're literally in the most recent FW update/beta thread out of a series of numerous update/beta threads that include numerous instances of amps having things adjusted and readjusted to perfect and correct issues that existed in previous iterations of the amp models.

Why are there always people that feel compelled to take up arms every time someone merely suggests that it seems there might be something that needs to be looked into, or even that there might be some info that us end users haven't been given yet that will account for undesirable results we're getting after something's been changed? Like... just let the beta testing process carry out and it'll all get sorted out one way or another; that's what public betas are for.

Should we do a pool to see how many folks would love to keep herbie/vh4 models as they were in the last official fw ? if the numbers will be decent, maybe Cliff would consider making those as FAS models or something like in a veins of recto thordendal. What do you guys think ? hit the like if you agree and I will create a separate thread for that.

I'd personally just like some further confirmation of accuracy or indication as to why at least some of us are getting results that seem weird. So, if anyone needs it for testing purposes, here's my preset (it uses user cabs, so those are gone, but any decent Mesa os cab should work. I use York's)

Attachments

• HERBERT.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom