Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as my memory is concerned, Herbie 3 doesn't sound off compared to what I remember of my Herbert.
Ok, it was years ago.
But Dizzy 3 lacks of gain compared to the VH4 I had.

Not a problem for me but as someone who's worked in software development and validation of safety critical systems, I was just interested that's all.
I worked on code used in wafer-fabs, and then later by airlines, among other places, so I can relate.

I see it as being tied to the size of the organization, along with the confidence of the developer in his code. When developing in a team with 50 people with thousands of customers, we’d be very formal about the naming and steps and followed the process because a mistake could cost millions of dollars very quickly. When it was a team of one and I was the only direct customer, eh, beta lasted an hour and the release-candidate announcement was telling the guy in the next cubicle.

Cliff is a scary good developer, and has a very rapid cycle, and is aware of the risks, so I jump on the betas and see if anything is weird and report it right away. I would prefer to see a little more rigorous adherence to the guidelines, but that’s just my years of doing development talking. In the end, it’s his company and I trust his abilities, because he’s proven to have a great track record.

I worked on code used in wafer-fabs, and then later by airlines, among other places, so I can relate.

I see it as being tied to the size of the organization, along with the confidence of the developer in his code. When developing in a team with 50 people with thousands of customers, we’d be very formal about the naming and steps and followed the process because a mistake could cost millions of dollars very quickly. When it was a team of one and I was the only direct customer, eh, beta lasted an hour and the release-candidate announcement was telling the guy in the next cubicle.

Cliff is a scary good developer, and has a very rapid cycle, and is aware of the risks, so I jump on the betas and see if anything is weird and report it right away. I would prefer to see a little more rigorous adherence to the guidelines, but that’s just my years of doing development talking. In the end, it’s his company and I trust his abilities, because he’s proven to have a great track record.
"fail fast" has its place.

Installed Beta 7 today before rehearsal and my few presets (Plexis, Fender Vibroverb) sounded better then ever

Anybody else use Energy Ball and find it more harsh and thin after 21 B7?
I updated to the new beta today. Spent a little time refining my Rectos and 5153 presets which I messed with during the beta 2 'glitch' and all are sounding glorious now. Since then I've spent a few hours playing with the Energyball but I am new to this model. I have a tone I almost like but I can't lose a slightly nasal quality. Perhaps the highs are a little brittle too. Like I said, I am new to this model and have never been in the same room as an Engl amp (that I'm aware of). What has me wondering though is that I find the firmware has gotten to the point where I can dial in a tone I love now in a few minutes without any deeper parameters, even as a relative newcomer. I feel Fractal have gotten so good. I wouldn't even bother taking Axe Edit to a gig, knowing I could make any on the fly slight adjustments on the hardware quickly and easily. Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain and Reverb/Delay Mix levels- what more do I need?

Thanks once more Cliff. Also, sorry for my post you removed last night, it was just intended as a lighthearted jest and not revelling in others confrontations/drama. I am a lunch break lurker at "that' other forum and it always pains me that when people do the different modeller vs amp comparisons the rate of your progress means the AxeFx firmware in the spotlight is almost always out of date and that people with no/current experience of Fractal are not hearing what we are so fortunate to be invested in. Again, get a digital tip jar. These constant updates are making me feel like I'm taking too much!

P.S. I wouldn't know a Diezel if it ran off with my girlfriend and have still to load up any of the models. The Soldano is next on my deep dive list if I can pry myself away from the Rectos.

I can't think of a single metal record that was recorded with just Diezel amps, and not mixing one with something else. If you ask me that says, the amps just like cliff said are on the dark/fuzzier side of the spectrum. Thats how I have ALWAYS heard Diezel amps. Never bonded with the models before personally.

For shats and gaggles I made a preset using both the Herbie Ch 3 and Uber; they definitely weren't easy to find what I'd consider the sweet spot and while I did find some tones I dug, you really gotta lay into them and put the amp in it's place, like backhand it until it goes and cleans it's room.

I opened SD3 and tossed in some MIDI's, played along to them and then flipped the amps around and double tracked it. I put a bass down under it then just bounced it, I didn't really spend any time mixing aside from adjusting levels. There's definitely some sick sounds to be found in those amps!

They're panned hard L/R, if I remember right, the Herbie is using 2 IR's and the Uber is using 1, I think I did boost both amps to tighten 'em up. I'd share the preset but I'm using York IR's on it. I did change the SIC's on them, most likely to one of the Rectos. So even though they're panned that way, when I flipped them around you end up with each amp on both sides.

Last edited:
I can't think of a single metal record that was recorded with just Diezel amps, and not mixing one with something else. If you ask me that says, the amps just like cliff said are on the dark/fuzzier side of the spectrum. Thats how I have ALWAYS heard Diezel amps. Never bonded with the models before personally.
I agree they are darker low mids
The feel is just odd it tight but still kinds boomy and super dry but heavily compressed

I had just tried a VH4 recently at local shop and the SLO beside it just trampled it for clarity harmonics
About the only thing Deizel won in was girth and that sub low rumble

For shats and gaggles I made a preset using both the Herbie Ch 3 and Uber; they definitely weren't easy to find what I'd consider the sweet spot and while I did find some tones I dug, you really gotta lay into them and put the amp in it's place, like backhand it until it goes and cleans it's room.

I opened SD3 and tossed in some MIDI's, played along to them and then flipped the amps around and double tracked it. I put a bass down under it then just bounced it, I didn't really spend any time mixing aside from adjusting levels. There's definitely some sick sounds to be found in those amps!

That sounds great in the mix
Would love to hear the isolated guitar with just Uber

I might have found a bug. Not sure if it is this firmware or the edit software. I have a stereo input 3 for playing along with backing tracks. In the IO setup, The Audio Input 3 Modes are not functioning properly. Left Only mutes, Right only is stereo, etc. Anyone else have this issue? Axe-Fc III mkii Turbo running Beta 7, macbook pro Ventura Edit 1.12.09.

Attachments

• 101B Fiora.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
i noticed that dizzy V4 silver 3 sounded really off. going to blue it sounds like it should but the silver sounds wrong

There's a mistake in the presence network on that model. I entered a wrong capacitor value. It's been fixed for the next release.

Cliff could you please double check the Dizzy Silverface too? I know you said this one hasn't had any updates yet, but it doesn't seem to be sounding as good as it used to, and quite a few of us are noticing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom