Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean low cut available in amp's ideal page, it's really still needed
Thanks a different thing though isn’t it? My understanding has always been that this is modelling high pass filters in the amp design.

I agree with others, for most sounds my high and low cut in the cab are gone/opened up drastically.

High gain I still like some but everything else gone.

Sounds much more amp like to me. Warts and all

Thanks a different thing though isn’t it? My understanding has always been that this is modelling high pass filters in the amp design.

I agree with others, for most sounds my high and low cut in the cab are gone/opened up drastically.

High gain I still like some but everything else gone.

Sounds much more amp like to me. Warts and all
Sure i talk about higain ;)
I don't care about anything else you know ^^

Sure i talk about higain ;)
I don't care about anything else you know ^^
Well I checked it out. Must say that unless it's a live mix. I wouldn't touch a mile of it.

It way more tight and clear than we used too. Too much low cutting and it becomes super sterlie and less knarly and wild as the amp.
BTW, I had a weird artifact that randomly pops and won't solve till it restarts. How can I send input about it?

In my understanding, it's about the preamp's lows, the lows that can stuff the preamps input and make it overdrive in a not wanted way which has always been a problem for old amp designs that don't filter these lows out, old marshalls and alike. The amps that can use a little treble booster to clean up the lows some. Notice how the bass knob in the preamp section changed in such amps. It's a hughe change.

Metal amps have low cuts built in anyway as part of their design and you never wanted to use a treble booster with them.

Okay, I'm playing through the Boogie Mark IV, the USA Lead Mid Gain Bright, using an IR of a 5150 cab I captured from TH-U. Man, I don't know if I've ever been transported so intensely to the feeling of playing the real thing. I mean, I've loved the tones I've been getting out of the Axe, but this is still different, with just no advanced tweaking. I mean, just loud, mean, angry, mean, angry, and also loud, also just nasty mean. I remember distinctly playing through some Rivera in the 90s, some 1x12 combo, I have no idea what model, and it gave me this feeling. But for years I would go to stores and dial in a Mark III when I could find one, and it just had this exact, exact feel. Again, I didn't feel like anything was missing before, but now...it's absolutely changed everything for the better, the new fundamental changes to the modelling. And I haven't even messed with advanced tweaks, other than reducing Master Bias Excursion on the amps that my guitar turns into pure fizz, like the Diamond Del Fuego and the new 20W Brit. Every single thing I touch is just as easy pie to dial in, giving me what I'd expect in the real world. I mean, nothing I've encountered so far is calling for extra EQ, or extra tone shaping, or anything. I mean, this is actually ideal. Holy crap, this Cygnus X-2 is life changing.

Now the advanced parameters, Speaker Compression, e.g., can be used for purely artistic decisions instead of essential for the right feel. And I'm experiencing this on this guitar which seems to have very unusual response, where most presets I try just don't sit right. But now I'm just sitting here feeling further like I'm just the owner of the most insane guitar studio in the world, and I, Matrix style, have magically gained all the electrical engineering know how to mod gear in every significant way if I feel I want a tweak, not that any of it is lacking really; it's just a matter of preference now.

I think this kind of thread is primarily to sort out bugs and whatnot, so my posts of this nature probably are not the most helpful, but Man, I just can't deal with how great this is, and I feel like only fellow obsessive tone chasers can truly get it. Okay, enough talk. Back to playing...
Love everything about this post. Can’t wait to get home to download this FW.

I'm sorry but low cut is still needed, a lot...

I still use low cut too, depending on the amp. I use it mainly for when I’m on my neck pickup to prevent the low end from getting too wooly.

This is true for me even with real amps. I’ll use my Wampler Tumnus with the bass rolled down to prevent neck pickup wooliness.

It really depends on your picking style, strings, and pickups. For some reason my picking results in a lot of low end. I also use heavier strings.

Anyway, if someone still uses the low cut, that’s a personal tone choice. No big deal.

Love everything about this post. Can’t wait to get home to download this FW.

I read so many other people’s impressions on top of Cliff’s descriptions, and I was dying to know if I would actually hear it. I have to say that all the positive impressions bore out to me.

I think like any FRFR situation you have to have the absolute perfect IR for your guitar for this, and for me that means using movable mic plugins and capturing the perfect spot, then still adding smoothing. But Dude, with that caveat of finding the right IRs to match the guitar just right, everything, for me, fell into place in this almost absurdly easy way.

I mean, audio engineering, which is how I think of tone sculpting, is hard work. It takes understanding and tweaking until frequencies sit just right on one hand, but also until gear starts cooking just right on the other. And this firmware was just like, “You know all that hard work you’re used to? The hard part is gone now.”

I still use low cut too, depending on the amp. I use it mainly for when I’m on my neck pickup to prevent the low end from getting too wooly.

This is true for me even with real amps. I’ll use my Wampler Tumnus with the bass rolled down to prevent neck pickup wooliness.

It really depends on your picking style, strings, and pickups. For some reason my picking results in a lot of low end. I also use heavier strings.

Anyway, if someone still uses the low cut, that’s a personal tone choice. No big deal.
Yes i just wanted to prevent the removal of cut parameter in amp block ;)

The only helpful thing I can add here for development is that I’m turning up the amp block level quite a bit more compared to what I’m used to. I thought at first it was just the IRs I’ve been using, but since others have mentioned lower output levels, maybe they have actually decreased overall. Of course we have so many leveling tools in this context it just takes an extra turn of a knob.

Sounds like you need to lower your neck pickup.
Who suggested it be removed?

The only helpful thing I can add here for development is that I’m turning up the amp block level quite a bit more compared to what I’m used to. I thought at first it was just the IRs I’ve been using, but since others have mentioned lower output levels, maybe they have actually decreased overall. Of course we have so many leveling tools in this context it just takes an extra turn of a knob.
I like this too.

What I do is to lower my neck humbucker, but also raise the polepieces significantly high, to unbalance the coils; it made a big difference on my guitar.

I mean low cut available in amp's ideal page, it's really still needed
Everything depends on context: now the low end performance in the amp sim is tighter and more accurate, which is great. Of course there are those who want to apply mix-ready EQ to guitars, and the amp block is a great place to do this. I'm pretty sure it was Big Mick (who 0mixes live sound for Metallica) that told me that he sets Low Cut at 200 Hz.

I’m still using it, too. On one of my main patches using the Bludo lead amp, it seemed to me that if anything bass increased on that amp. Other amps, as reported, seem much tighter without a cut.

I still use the cut switch in some cases, and the input EQ low frequency parameter on other amps. Sounds great!

If I have to see one more “I’m on the fence about buying a Fractal” after this I’m going to lose it. No one else continually improves amp modeling like this.
No doubt! Are these people needing attention? At this point if your "thinking about it, you are wasting everyone's time including your own! There is nothing to consider, if its cost, please dont say your thinking about, say you dont have the scratch and you really want one. Attention freaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom