Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there have been times people insisted it sounded different and Cliff confirmed that there was a problem. It is a beta. It is meant to be tested and feedback given. Why not let Cliff decide what is or isn't relevant?
And, the point is, memory, eyes, and ears, can all lie because it's the brain that adjusts and adapts, and it's not perfectly reliable. Spending time to test and make sure that reality matches perception is when it's useful to comment about something not being the same. Cliff is ultimately the one who rejects nonsense, but why throw it at him when we can rule it out ahead of time?

Everyone will perceive it’s ‘better’ now, or ‘worse’ based upon their individual taste and opinion when changes in preamp and / or power amp modeling are concerned. Plus your monitoring system plays a huge impact on your tone(s).

Therefore, as before, and now... tweaking presets to suit your desires is going to happen if you do all the ‘big’ firmware releases.

And, the point is, memory, eyes, and ears, can all lie because it's the brain that adjusts and adapts, and it's not perfectly reliable. Spending time to test and make sure that reality matches perception is when it's useful to comment about something not being the same. Cliff is ultimately the one who rejects nonsense, but why throw it at him when we can rule it out ahead of time?
The point is let people provide feedback and let Cliff decide what is or isn't relevant.

Everyone will perceive it’s ‘better’ now, or ‘worse’ based upon their individual taste and opinion when changes in preamp and / or power amp modeling are concerned. Plus your monitoring system plays a huge impact on your tone(s).

Therefore, as before, and now... tweaking presets to suit your desires is going to happen if you do all the ‘big’ firmware releases.
Adding to that

your listening environment and listening position and ear fatigue / condition

Adding to that

your listening environment and listening position and ear fatigue / condition
If this was the standard then when @mynameismud was giving feedback that pretty everyone panned (including me) it would not have resulted in Cliff fixing the issue. Who knows if a problem is "ear fatigue / condition" or a real problem? Clearly not almost everyone on the site who attacked @mynameismud. It is a beta. The purpose of a beta is to test for bugs. Let people report bugs without trying to shut them down with vague standards like "listening position and ear fatigue / condition".

I think we all need to get in the habit of recording a short DI clip and provide real before and after sound clips. No more of the “juicier”, “beefier”, “thicker”, “sweeter”, “sparklier”, “chunkier” adjectives! The brain is easy to trick, but the ears almost never lie. We need proof!
Going forward, I’ll try to do that.
Agree, except that pre upgrade, you don't know what amps with what sorts of settings you're going to want to compare.

That'll work if you only care about a couple of tones, but it's not very realistic beyond that.

Whether it’s my ears playing tricks or confirmation bias, etc. the Fenders all sound better to me. Although, blind AB ing things can be a major eye opener.
Ears can be kinda like tasting bourbon…depends on what you’ve eaten…your mood, etc.
I re-did my studio with all new professional design and then got a Trinnov on top of that to make sure I’m hearing things correctly.
Edit: I didn’t spend all of that money to make sure I was hearing the Axefx correctly btw lol.

Whether it’s my ears playing tricks or confirmation bias, etc. the Fenders all sound better to me. Although, blind AB ing things can be a major eye opener.
Ears can be kinda like tasting bourbon…depends on what you’ve eaten…your mood, etc.
I re-did my studio with all new professional design and then got a Trinnov on top of that to make sure I’m hearing things correctly.
Edit: I didn’t spend all of that money to make sure I was hearing the Axefx correctly btw lol.
Seriously, you got a Trinnov for an application that's not mission critical commercial work? Or is that what you do?

Nice tool!

well, I was the one above who invited a "the model has not changed" response from Fractal, but in my own defence, there is a b2 note on a Friedman FAT change that was not in the b1 notes, so, that, combined with my own perception that it sounded extremely different justified my report imo - also, I was not even questioning the change, but rather asking if others thought it sounded correct to the real amp. But I do agree on doing the before / after clips to prove any perceptions - I won't be posting "perceptional" beta issues again without such proof in hand. Also, along the lines of what App12 is saying above, I feel there is often a tendency for some to quickly jump on any comment that points to a possible beta issue not recognizing that, the beta releases are designed by Fractal to promote customer feedback which is valuable to them in terms of speeding the testing process and maximizing issues detection. There's a balance though as you point out, between discouraging beta feedback too much (and losing out on getting material comments), and encouraging it too much (and getting side tracked with too many red herrings).

Last edited:
Seriously, you got a Trinnov for an application that's not mission critical commercial work? Or is that what you do?

Nice tool!
Btw - the two most impressive buys I’ve ever made are the Axe and Trinnov. I’m just an average player, so the Axe is more of a luxury for me…but it’s an all time great purchase. I don’t know how I’d mix without the Trinnov now. Completely indispensable.

Which is why @Shahar's suggestion has a lot of merit; provide objective proof of the difference when posting it.
It may be useful for you to go back and look at the thread where @mynameismud gave his feedback. Sometimes when you are comparing the Axe to a real amp it can be difficult to do that and it came across negatively. I was was critical of mud at the time. But he was right. If FAS has an issue with something they are not shy about pointing it out. Why not let people provide feedback the best they can and let FAS decide what to do with the information instead of us trying to dictate it?

What I'm hearing is not as noticable on the high end but more so on the mid/lows. The fizz or artifact as it's referred to on the wiki. Is kind of separate from the primary tone, kind of next to it. Sounds kind of like a blown speaker. But, these have never been pushed that hard.
I had similar experience with my Mesa v30s with beta 1. (I'm still in beta 1)
At first I thought they sounded like blown as well, but after I have played some more, I think they sound like if the V30s were converted into FRFR speakers and I would have forgotten to add the speaker block in the preset.
it is possible that there is now too much information going to the speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom