Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.03

That’s why last time I make big eyes seeing that some sellers update them every death of a pope . I mean just with a 17.00 preset in 18.03 you can have something completely upside down sounding . The axe is in constant motion, you need to be behind your presets at every 0.1 firmware . Don’t want to sell presets that are ok only for one month, no way .

Sure that’s very long . That’s why sometimes I hesitate to release another new pack 😅. I cannot imagine to manage 10 times this …
Yesterday after a levelling session where my girlfriend listen the same chord for one hour far in the house, she said “I don’t know how you re not going crazy listening to this over and over” . I approved with my head and take some aspirine 🤣.

I have removed All the compressors . Only the bass presets got them now . I used to have a compressor in all the clean channels of fender amps for example and just removed them all . The more it goes, the more I dislike compressor . I never use them in dist, but in clean it gives a “studio effect” . I changed technique . Mic preamp, turning down the input trim and up the level to give the sound some body without compress it .

Yup, I'm not fond of them either in general (I realize that compression is used on every recording in some way). I like the raw stuff, and dynamics is (are) in your fingers. But they are useful with some clean amps that are very spikey.

I have removed All the compressors . Only the bass presets got them now . I used to have a compressor in all the clean channels of fender amps for example and just removed them all . The more it goes, the more I dislike compressor . I never use them in dist, but in clean it gives a “studio effect” . I changed technique . Mic preamp, turning down the input trim and up the level to give the sound some body without compress it .
For me personally didnt need compressors, upto 16.0. Cygnus is more raw sounding and after cygnus i use them more often , Mainly the jfet.
I also like to use optical compressor at the end of chain for that nice warm sound the kinda effect la-2a comp has on mixes.

Yup, I'm not fond of them either in general (I realize that compression is used on every recording in some way). I like the raw stuff, and dynamics is (are) in your fingers. But they are useful with some clean amps that are very spikey.
I use them sparingly but in probably every preset at the beginning of the chain.

But I also found I like reducing the Mix to about 60% and usually Compression is less than 3.

I like to retain most of the dynamic response but also like some of the special "sauce" I get from certain models. The JFET, Optical and Tube types in particular.

@jin1995x the thing is that in the jp7, you cannot put the pickup “far” from the strings , because of how it is built. I don’t want to remove some wood behind them to be able to do it 😅, so the crunch lab is pretty close to the strings . It sound good like that but it has way more gain that all my others guitars including active and whatever ( I own many)

@jin1995x the thing is that in the jp7, you cannot put the pickup “far” from the strings , because of how it is built. I don’t want to remove some wood behind them to be able to do it 😅, so the crunch lab is pretty close to the strings . It sound good like that but it has way more gain that all my others guitars including active and whatever ( I own many)
i see, i was planning to get the jp7 stealth black from 2020, but decided against it due to the 25.5 scale length. still seemed like a nice guitar.

Depends.
For the 18.03, as I normally don’t count , 4 hours ? You don’t start from zero and don’t redo everything. (With luck) I verify all the levels of each scenes x 130 presets approx (400 levelling ?), If everything works normally. Then at the same time I try new things, in this one I have spent more time with the fender amps for example …
I don’t count time really, as this is for both myself and others . The most “boring” part is to check the levels yes . For the rest they all work for 7 strings as I own one, sometime I just had to lower the gain in some presets as this musicman is really hot .
I hope you use a tone generator for this - for pure sanity reasons :)

Updated to 18.03 yesterday and had a gig last night. 2 amp set up clean and dirty.

The clean was really loud. Lost the volume leveling between the two.

The clean side does have a comp. Dirt does not. Adjusted levels and made it through. Still sounded amazing.

Back
Top Bottom