Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff and the gang, thank you for your never-ending quest for continuous improvement. Happy Holidays to the entire Fractal staff and community!!

It really is something special to find these updates so often in the forum, and to see these significant inclusions on top of the already awesome beta. Talk about being head and shoulders above the rest. The fact that parts of the modeling are still being improved blows me away. I cannot wait to play around with all the amp models now that the the cathode follower has improved, and I can’t wait to try the new Savage presence behavior and cab block tape preamps.

For the sounds I use, I find the cab preamp section to be the best finishing touch. I used only the IR player for a time, but I had been missing so much. The cab block preamps are absolutely the secret weapon to make your tone perfect. I dial the saturation and drive to the point where I can obnoxiously hear its effect on the character and texture, then I dial back until it balances with the original character of my tone, adding enough control and intensity, if you will, and making it sound like some great console pushed into the sweet spot. I call to mind the Sound City documentary talking about their Neve console, and it how it was the basis of the records mixed there. I’ve often gravitated toward the FET II, the Tube, the Vintage, and all the tapes for tones I’ve created, depending on what flavor provided the best pairing. Before I owned a fractal unit I used to use Variety of Sound console saturation for this kind of thing, but I love the fact that it’s built into the AxeFX III, with such world class quality, control, power, and mojo. It’s incredible that so much thought was put into everything that’s makes a great recorded tone, down to the channel strip itself.

Thanks to Cliff and all the designers and engineers at Fractal for these continual gifts to those who live for tone; there could not be a better investment to feed that obsession.

Last edited:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/18p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_18p00.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Overhauled the Compressor block:

• Improved Auto-Makeup gain behavior.
  • Added Input Level switch. When set to INSTRUMENT the detector is optimized for guitar-level signals, i.e., before an amp block. When set to LINE the detector is optimized for post-amp level signals.
  • The Pedal, Optical, Tube, Analog, JFET and Dynamicomp types have been completely redone resulting in improved performance. These types now inherently perform automatic makeup gain.
  • Auto Attack/Release has been removed from the Pedal and Dynamicomp types as it is no longer applicable.
  • NOTE: Due to all these changes the behavior and output volume of the Compressor block may be different. It is recommended to audition any presets using the Compressor block and adjust as required.
Improved Stack/Hold implementation in Delay block so that “texture” is applied to audio when Stack/Hold is on.

Improved Amp block cathode follower algorithm. Algorithm now uses higher order solution of nonlinear ODE for more accurate low frequency response.

Improved Amp block power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models dynamic changes in speaker impedance resulting in more “complexity”.

Improved Tape preamp types in Cabinet block.

Added check to prevent excessive message queuing, i.e., when selecting amp model using Value knob.

Added MUTE option to Output 1/2 Configuration. This allows muting the analog outputs while still passing data via USB. This can be used when using the Axe-Fx III in conjunction with computer plug-ins.

Added global Speaker Impedance Curve. When set to DEFAULT the speaker impedance curve used when selecting an amp model is the default curve for that amp model, otherwise it is the selected curve. NOTE: this does not affect existing presets. The selected curve is used only when selecting a new amp model.

Added Input Level switch to Compressor block. This allows tailoring the compressor’s response for instrument level or line level signals.

Added several new Impedance Curves to Amp block. Thank you to Dr. Bonkers Soundlab for these.

Added Modifier capability to LFO Enable and Mod Frequency in Filter block.

Added RCB Boost to Amp block Boost types.

Reduced CPU usage for background GUI tasks.

Fixed DS-1 Drive types have no gain when Drive is at 0.0.

Fixed Reverb pitch buffers not being cleared if Pitch Mix is zero.

Fixed Turbo version aborting processing at CPU usage lower than limit.

Fixed Angle Severe models becoming unstable with certain speaker impedance curves. Note: the presence network for these models has been updated. Presets using these amp models should be auditioned as the tone may have changed.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Oh how I love compressors!!!!

might be sometime if it does, i was going through fm3 forums and the latest public release is still only from august . While we on axe 3 get update after update!
At least there have been updates... FM9 is still on 1.0 ;)

However, I suspect most if not all of this goodness will make it to FM9 soon.

Sweet thanks as always. I just may have to update from the beta before the Christmas show tonight.

So this is more of a question of feasibility rather than a feature request, although I might make one for it anyway.

What if we had an option to toggle different amp channels to stay loaded in memory for gapless switching? I've noticed the latest firmware is super duper efficient with CPU usage and was wondering if this kind of thing would be possible with the extra headroom. This would make a huge difference with my band that runs two guitars through the Axe with channel switching two different amp blocks at the same time. Figured it could also enable gaplessly switching between 2 or more channels in one amp block vs the current gapless method of switching between 2 amp blocks in parallel.

Again, no idea how feasible this is but I think it would be super awesome to have. If not, I'm sure it's the kind of thing the Axe-FX IV will have from the get-go.

So this is more of a question of feasibility rather than a feature request, although I might make one for it anyway.

What if we had an option to toggle different amp channels to stay loaded in memory for gapless switching? I've noticed the latest firmware is super duper efficient with CPU usage and was wondering if this kind of thing would be possible with the extra headroom. This would make a huge difference with my band that runs two guitars through the Axe with channel switching two different amp blocks at the same time. Figured it could also enable gaplessly switching between 2 or more channels in one amp block vs the current gapless method of switching between 2 amp blocks in parallel.

Again, no idea how feasible this is but I think it would be super awesome to have. If not, I'm sure it's the kind of thing the Axe-FX IV will have from the get-go.
The gapless thing was the first thing I was waiting for, when I switched to 2 to 3 . Don’t know how many core should have the unit to be completely gapless .

This is unbelievable! I figured we were still a couple of weeks away at least. Great job and thanks FAS team!

Is this one meant to sound much different? Because if not maybe then my ear suddenly recovered from something. It feels so immediate, the touch on the strings and the time it takes until it comes out of the monitor. Thought it isn't digital anymore. Can't seem to notice the latency.
Maybe it's the wine? I should better add a beer? And overtones come that easy, I don't remember it that way. Am I wrong? All placebo? Is it the speaker impedance setting? Or is it the master volume? However, great stuff! Thank you!

Fixed Angle Severe models becoming unstable with certain speaker impedance curves. Note: the presence network for these models has been updated.

Yeah Man. I don't know, I never really got into the Savage before, but I've just been playing with the Severe 2 for a while, and I f**king love it. What's immediately striking me is that it's an unbelievable amp for the #34 sound. Maybe it's just magic with my pickups, but Wow, what an amp.

I created a preset here, with what came out as a #34 feel to me. Keep in mind, this tone was set with my Schecter Sun Vally Super Shredder Exotic with Duncan Saturday Night Specials and 50s Les Paul wiring (using two dual concentrics), so it might like ass on your guitar. Regardless, if you try it, definitely mess with the volume and tone knobs on your guitar. :)

Last edited:
Is this one meant to sound much different? Because if not maybe then my ear suddenly recovered from something. It feels so immediate, the touch on the strings and the time it takes until it comes out of the monitor. Thought it isn't digital anymore. Can't seem to notice the latency.
Maybe it's the wine? I should better add a beer? And overtones come that easy, I don't remember it that way. Am I wrong? All placebo? Is it the speaker impedance setting? Or is it the master volume? However, great stuff! Thank you!
It will sound different but not greatly. To me it sounds more "analog", due to the new cathode follower and dynamic speaker impedance stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom