Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will sound different but not greatly. To me it sounds more "analog", due to the new cathode follower and dynamic speaker impedance stuff.
Then maybe it's the impedance thing. I get bigger and less trebly sounds when I increase the speaker impedance some and that sounds more like what I had before. But since it sounds like a (very thin) blanket got off and it breathes like a real amp I'm not going to change that setting. It's perfect.

What if we had an option to toggle different amp channels to stay loaded in memory for gapless switching?
Channels exist to give us a way to completely change the amp model within a single preset. Each channel is just a set of parameters that get loaded into the Amp block when you switch to that channel.

Yes, you could have two channels “loaded” and ready to go, but loaded into what? In order to work at all, the channel has to be loaded into an Amp block. If you want two channels loaded and ready to go, then you need two Amp blocks running at the same time. If you want four channels loaded and ready to go, you’d need four Amp blocks.

The Axe-Fx III can do two Amp blocks at once. That’s a helluva start. :)

Thank you Cliff and FAS team for constantly pushing forward toward perfection, and sharing these improvements with us!
Without hardly playing (yet) my very keen eared son and myself hear more ‘dimension’ (analog) tone... like some kinda magic fairy dust. And damn.. the Savage jumped with power!

Channels exist to give us a way to completely change the amp model within a single preset. Each channel is just a set of parameters that get loaded into the Amp block when you switch to that channel.

Yes, you could have two channels “loaded” and ready to go, but loaded into what? In order to work at all, the channel has to be loaded into an Amp block. If you want two channels loaded and ready to go, then you need two Amp blocks running at the same time. If you want four channels loaded and ready to go, you’d need four Amp blocks.

The Axe-Fx III can do two Amp blocks at once. That’s a helluva start. :)

I'm quite aware of the current channel functionality and it's limitations. The issue is that if you change the channel on an amp block, the volume dips out for a split second when changing. It does this because IIRC the Axe has to reload all the amp parameters when you change channels. It doesn't have to do that with second amp block because it's always running and you're just switching which amp you're using. I'm just wondering if something like that would be possible with channels within an amp block so we have more options for gapless switching.

I'm quite aware of the current channel functionality and it's limitations. The issue is that if you change the channel on an amp block, the volume dips out for a split second when changing. It does this because IIRC the Axe has to reload all the amp parameters when you change channels. It doesn't have to do that with second amp block because it's always running and you're just switching which amp you're using. I'm just wondering if something like that would be possible with channels within an amp block so we have more options for gapless switching.
Yes, it would be possible — if the Amp block had four complete amp emulation engines — one for each channel. That would be equivalent to having four Amp blocks, and it would eat up just as much CPU as four Amp blocks would.

I had a wish a long time ago, before the Channel functions, of having 2 switchable and linkable 'Ideal' and 'GEQ' tabs in each amp model. To serve as a two-channel amp with almost no gap (confirmed by Cliff), as all of the advanced stuff would remain unchanged, and the amp model would not need to be reloaded..

Could still be very handy when just needing a second channel of the same amp model. Especially for the FM3.

As always, I'm sure that there is more to it than we realize.

I found the solution to let the user choose if he wants to apply makeup gain or not quite good. It's not that much of a biggie to lower the volume with the "level" control but I do compress signals quite often to not have them louder, but a) more dynamically controlled and b) lower in volume, hence my question. Compressing and an automatic raise in volume is actually a contradiction for me... but anyway, it's just a question and I can live with the way things are and I'll show myself the way to www.semantics.com ....
Thanks for all the effort!

Last edited:
The types with no Auto Makeup switch have inherent makeup gain in the algorithm. It's not something you can turn off now. If you've ever used a Dynacomp you'll notice the volume does not decrease when you increase the compression.

If you want classic compression where you can disable auto makeup gain use one of the other types.

The types with no Auto Makeup switch have inherent makeup gain in the algorithm. It's not something you can turn off now. If you've ever used a Dynacomp you'll notice the volume does not decrease when you increase the compression.

If you want classic compression where you can disable auto makeup gain use one of the other types.
Thanks for the clarification.

Cliff,
may I ask, what is the reason for the implementation of the automatic makeup gain for some of the comps?
see my posts in the fw 18 beta thread regarding this subject and Fractal's related comments also.

After fiddling with the comps that feature inherent make up gain, I have the impression that make up gain is applied even if the signal doesn't hit the threshold? So if threshold is set at -20 f.ex., and your comp set to 5 and your signal does not hit the threshold, loudness will increase anyway? I personally never liked that feature in compressors, for me this would be "normalizing", I'd understand "make up gain" as in "add the gain back that got reduced by the compressor". This may be semantics (again), and I have sure far less knowledge than Cliff and there is still the studio compressor to use if one wants compression without implemented make up gain. Nonetheless, I love the magic of the optical compressors for final touches and if above mentioned principle is factual I find this feature less useful than the old way. In case this is user failure, I am happy to be educated and learn from y'all! :)

no worries - not quite the same question anyway, but the discussion in the beta thresd does touch on it.
I just plowed through the beta thread, I agree with your points, I can see Cliffs perspective and I also understand that the "make up gain" topic seems to be a controversial one anyway. While I would have loved to be able to choose for myself if I want to apply make up gain or not, it's like you said: It's nothing I can't get used to! Thanks for the heads up!

After fiddling with the comps that feature inherent make up gain, I have the impression that make up gain is applied even if the signal doesn't hit the threshold? So if threshold is set at -20 f.ex., and your comp set to 5 and your signal does not hit the threshold, loudness will increase anyway? I personally never liked that feature in compressors, for me this would be "normalizing", I'd understand "make up gain" as in "add the gain back that got reduced by the compressor". This may be semantics (again), and I have sure far less knowledge than Cliff and there is still the studio compressor to use if one wants compression without implemented make up gain. Nonetheless, I love the magic of the optical compressors for final touches and if above mentioned principle is factual I find this feature less useful than the old way. In case this is user failure, I am happy to be educated and learn from y'all! :)
Make-up Gain "makes up" gain that is reduced due to compression.

If you're not hitting the threshold then there should be no compression and thus no make-up gain.

Make-up Gain "makes up" gain that is reduced due to compression.

If you're not hitting the threshold then there should be no compression and thus no make-up gain.
That's how I understand it as well.
I did the following: optical compressor, threshold -20, comp 7
a threshold of -20 does not show any gain reduction in my preset. If I lower the threshold to -21 the volume increases considerably, gain reduction still shows 0. I can now control the preset volume with the comp knob. Can you replicate this? I don't think this is a bug, I think this is how the make up gain feature works...
I don't want to cause confusion or anything, it's just what I experience. Cliff got more into detail and explanations in the beta thread, and again, nothing that one can't get used to....
but be sure, if someone sells "abolish make up gain" shirts, I'll jump on it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom