Axe fx 2 Scenes with Roland FC200 Pedal

Pestvic

Is this possible? I looked through all the midi changing and couldnt find which were the scenes to assign to each pedal on the FC200. I just wanted to try to get the seemless switching. Also, how to go about getting the volume to work??

Yes, its possible. I'm using the FC-300. AFAIK the only difference between the 200 and the 300 are the expression pedals.

would you be willing to share how you set the pedals to specific scenes? I cant figure it out for the life of me. I think ive read my manual 4 times and messed with the midi in the Axe fx 2 for hours with no luck. I'm totally missing something I guess

awesome! this would help a lot of others as well i assume :) Thanks a bunch man! I'll try to tweak around with the scenes some more while I wait :)

awesome man, thanks :) Im sitting next to my axe fx 2 right now :p im debating trying to setup all the scenes and presets to one channel :p so much work!

So here it is. Hope it make sence to you. :)

SETTING UP ROLAND FC-300 (FC-200) WITH SCENES IN AXE FX II.

I guess there are several ways of using the FC-300 for scenes but this is the way I do it.
I’m always using the CC# that is standard the AXE FX II when programming the midiboards. I’m only changing the CC# in the FC-300. I do this because this way it’s easier to keep the control of what I’m doing.
There are three ways of toggling between MODES on the FC-300. Pressing the MODE button until the desired MODE is reached, pressing the UP/DOWN pedals at the same time to toggle or connecting a toggle switch in the MODE input on the back as I have done.
I using PDL 1-5 for “stompbox mode” and PDL 6-10 for scenes.
To switch between using PDL 1-5 and PDL 6-10, press the UP/DOWN pedals. When the DOWN pedal led is lit, you are using 1-5, and when the UP pedal led is lit you are using 6-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1. Make sure the led light on the left UP/DOWN pedal is lit.
#2. Press MODE button to set the FC-300 in “Control” mode. (indicated far left on the screen)
#3. Press PARAMETER button to the right, to “PDL1: Assign CC#”. Set it to “34” that is the CC# wich is assigned to scene select.
#4. Press PARAMETER once again to “PDL1: Range “. Set this to “0-1”
#5. Press PARAMETER a third time to “PDL1: Mode”. Set this to LATCH.
#6. Press EXIT and WRITE to store this.
Now is the pedal marked 1/6 assigned to switch from scene 1 to scene 2. Press the pedal to go to scene 2 and once again to go back to scene 1.
For the other scenes repeat sections #3-#6.

Scene 2:
#3. Set to PDL2. Set to CC#34
#4. Set to “0-2”
#5. Set to “LATCH”
#6. STORE

Scene 3.
#3. Set to PDL3. Set to CC#34
#4. Set to “0-3”
#5. Set to “LATCH”
#6. STORE
Repeat this until you have reached the amount of scenes you want to use.

Awesome man thanks! I would of never figured out the latch stuff and parameters haha. I'm pretty sure I get what you are saying but the best thing to do is for me to try it out :).

Bump.

I'm using the FC-200 as well, and I'm also having trouble mapping scenes, I tried the Program Change to Scene Mapping method but that didn't work, has anyone tried this method and got it working? Regarding Erik Hammero's instructions, I got stuck at number 4 as I could not find where to set the range and the manual didn't say much. Pestvic, any updates on your end? (being that this discussion is over a year old already).

Hi Iak89

I've just bought a FC-200 and to be honest, I have some trouble to use it as a mere "stompbox" to bypass one single block effect.
By default, when I press 1, 2, 3 etc. on the FC-200, it changes the preset of the Axe from 1 (59 Bassguy), then 2 (65 Bassguy), etc.

Could please help me on this and tell me :
(i) how can I do to assign each block to one specific pedal of the FC-200 (step by step would be very cool)
(ii) how to changes scenes, if you found how to do it ?

It would be very nice of you !
thx

@ costelli:
With the "Mode" switch you can select the type of Midi message, that is send with your tapping.

Start mode is Program Change, with which you can change preset numbers.

Second mode is Control change. With this you can stomp effect blocks in an Axe preset on and off.

To direct the pedal to the desired block you need to know the control change number of the block.
You can look these up in the wiki or use my list of cc# numbers. I made it, so I always know where to find it and to include my changes in the list.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r78umze1ko4ad3/Axe-FX%20ii%20MIDI%20PC%23%20%26%20CC%23%20numbers%2C%20modifiers%2C%20controllers%20%26%20global%20blocks%20list.xlsx?dl=0

How to porgram the numbers into the FC200:
You can find this in the manual page 12 (enter edit mode) and page 15 (Controller numbers [C1]-[C0])
FC-200 Owner's Manual :: FC-200 :: Manuals :: Support :: Roland

#1. Power off the Fc200
#2. Press and hold CTL button and power the unit on
#3. Press 14 times Pedal number 3, so the display shows "C1". This is the place to set the controller number, that pedal "1" will send.
The blinking number is the controller number, that you can change with BANK UP and BANK DOWN.
#4. When you are done, proceed with pedal 3 to the next pedal ("C2") and so on till "C0"
#5. Press CTL to write the changes to the FC200

@ all the others:

Scene switching does not work (that easy / at all) with the Roland FC-200:
In CONTROL Mode the buttons 1-10 can send CC#34, but only Values 0/127, not 1,2,3... as needed for the scene switching.

What you also can't do: Try to send Midi cc# 123 for Scene decrement and cc# 124 for Scene increment, so you can step down or up through the scenes. You can only select up to CC# 95 with the FC-200

Maybe you can use a sysex command, but never tried these with the FC-200

Last edited:
1vl has it mostly right:

The FC-200 doesn't have what it takes to directly select a desired scene.

It can, however, do Scene Increment and Scene Decrement. You'll have to go into your Axe and assign those functions to MIDI CC numbers that the FC-200 can reach. Then edit the FC-200 to assign two switches to send those CC commands.

Depending on your perspective, the FC-200 is either the smartest of the dumb MIDI controllers or the dumbest of the smart controllers.

Last edited:
Wow, how lucky for me that this discussion is happening right now! I just ordered my IIxl+ to replace my Ultra which I've been using for years with an FC 300, and I wanted to decide how I want to use some of the features the Ultra doesn't have--namely scenes.

@Ivi
Are you sure that one can't set buttons 1-10 (CONTROL mode) to send values 1,2,3,...? I think that on the "PDL1:Range" page (follows the "PDL1:Assign" page) you can increment 0 - 127 up/down to 1 - 1, 2 - 2, etc. So you can set up PEDAL 1-5 to send CC whatever and range, say 2 - 2. No? My pedal is on the way to the gig right now or I would check it out.

Also I would be interested in hearing about how others use scenes, esp with the fc300. I currently use the Ultra/FC300 much like @Erik Hammero, PGM change mode to switch presets and switching to CC mode (by pressing the up/down buttons simultaneously) for "stomp box" mode to bypass/unbypass individual blocks on the fly. I guess SCENES would do more of the same, or...? Do you use the two SCENES modifiers?

@ cemusic:
don't confound the fc-200 with fc-300. Erik Hammero described in post #9, how to do it with the fc-300. Only the fc-200 can't.

Regarding the fc-200:
@ Rex:
Shortly after writing my post I came up with the same solution (change CC number). But at the same time I found the other limitations:
- no cc# 32, so loop reverse also needs a different assignment

Also PC numbers start with an offset of 1 - ok, no problem, as this can be changed in the Axe.

Yes, the FC-200 does some non-standard MIDI things. For example, if it weren't for its weird configuration of overlapping banks of 100 presets, you could access all of the Mk I and Mk II presets from the FC-200.

Back
Top Bottom