Axe-fx 2 for the aussies!!!

A completely irrelevant sidenote - our studio will be opening soon. It's a proper, old-school studio with a massive analog desk, valve pre-amps and mics, etc. (Running into a Pro Tools backend, naturally). The desk is an Auditronics, ex triple J. We have Fearn, Neve and API pre-amps, Groove Tubes, Rode, AKG and Bees Neez mics, and Purple, Focusrite, Eventide, Mindprint and Lexicon outboard gear (to name but a few examples.) The recording room is 7 x 5 m, and we have two isolation rooms as well as the console room.

Anyway, we'll be looking for two acts to produce for free so that we have a starting portfolio. Hence we'll be giving away 24 hrs (3 days) of studio time to each act. This means 3-4 songs max (ie. not an entire CD). Of the two acts, one will be a rock band, and the other will be an acoustic act (band, soloist, classical ensemble, etc). (We want to show the diversity of what we can do).

This offer includes full use of the facilities and 100% attendance by a highly experienced engineer. (Marc Vassilou cut his teeth during the 80's, and has worked with the Radiators, the Angels and many other acts. He also ran Treetops which was a very respected studio in the 90's).

At the end you'll receive a stereo mixdown (24 bit WAV), plus the PT project file (or a 24 bit WAV track dump) should you want to remix at any stage. (We can also direct you towards some excellent mastering houses like Turtlerock or Studio 301 - expect to pay $150-$200 per song for mastering).

The only cost to you will be for storage media, which you can avoid by bringing a 16+GB USB stick (or a Mac-friendly portable HDD) with you.

The catch - we get your permission to use your name & recordings to demo our studio to other clients. This will include allowing us to put reasonable length excerpts (30-60 seconds) of your material on our website, free of any licensing fees.

We're in northern Sydney and will be open for business by the end of January and we expect to do this work in early February. To audition for the offer, you'll need to send us a MP3 with 2-3 of your original songs. Don't worry about recording quality - something recorded on a handheld recorder is fine.

Send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

Any news Boolean?
Hope they've found it

It's here !!!! ....arrived mid afternoon today, so left work a couple hours early to play with it :lol

No explanation offered by Australia Post yet as to why it was 2 days late (and why they didn’t know where it was when I called !) ...but just glad it arrived !

Good news!

How do you find it?

Difficult to tell at this stage because I’ve only been through the presets and most (not all) of the presets are not exactly what I’m after. Same deal as when I got an Ultra, so no surprises. I will say that there is a ‘raw’ quality that is immediately apparent that is different from the Ultra ! This weekend I’ll be doing some major tweaking – so I’ll know more then !

..and you, how do you find it - have you had time to tweak ?

It's here !!!! ....arrived mid afternoon today, so left work a couple hours early to play with it :lol

No explanation offered by Australia Post yet as to why it was 2 days late (and why they didn’t know where it was when I called !) ...but just glad it arrived !

Great news
No further update on mine
Just initial tracking info
I guess it will turn up soon enough
? Tomorrow

Unfortunately haven't had a great deal of time with my last exams coming up, but from the experience so far, presets are allright, again not quite what I'm after but I'm sure with some tweaking they could be perfect for me.

Starting next week Ill be doing the major tweaking and patch creating which should be a fun experience.

I must admit, I was impressed with the packaging – the AxeFxII is inside a box within another box, so 2 layers of cardboard for protection. I may be wrong but I don’t remember my Ultra arriving in that level of packaging – I think it was just a single box ?

If anyone in Melbourne has a II that I can somehow bribe to get a demo of the unit, let me know. I'm a very happy Axe Standard user and probably not too far off on the waiting list for the II, but I got to demo a Kemper yesterday and so I'd be interested in getting my hands on an AxeII for a demo. The Fractal units may still be more suitable than the competition for my purposes, but until yesterday I was skeptical about how much better modelling technology could get (and whether a II was potentially just an incremental improvement) so this has got me thinking and I'd be really interested in hearing Fractal's latest.

Chris

Sidenote - there are currently 2 AxeII units for sale on Evilbay. One has been brought back from the US and the other doesn't mention it's origin. Both are asking $3200.

Can't be bothered linking, search for yourself if you want to see.

Someone sold one from the Melband website recently too for about that price, and had no problems selling it. Not sure if the original purchaser was a good-intentioned in that case, but some of the units that have come up on ebay are pretty much the equivalent of scalping. (Obvious intention to buy off the wait list and then sell at a high price to the impatient).

Chris

If anyone in Melbourne has a II that I can somehow bribe to get a demo of the unit, let me know. I'm a very happy Axe Standard user and probably not too far off on the waiting list for the II, but I got to demo a Kemper yesterday and so I'd be interested in getting my hands on an AxeII for a demo. The Fractal units may still be more suitable than the competition for my purposes, but until yesterday I was skeptical about how much better modelling technology could get (and whether a II was potentially just an incremental improvement) so this has got me thinking and I'd be really interested in hearing Fractal's latest.

Chris

Maybe but it won't be til after the Christmas period - I don't get much of a rest between now and then. :-|

Okay so mine turned up yesterday, which meant it was three days postage from IM, which was what they had on their site. All good.
I only got to tinker for less than an hour last night but I liked the ease of setup with USB, and the presets were - not perfect, but a little but rawer in some ways which I like.
Will try headphones and a few other things over the weekend.

Hey Stevorc
Any news about your axefx
I've still got no update (Perth)
Hoping maybe today
Frustrating that can't tracked once picked up

Hey Stevorc
Any news about your axefx
I've still got no update (Perth)
Hoping maybe today
Frustrating that can't tracked once picked up

Nah - I'm in Gero, so I reckon mine will come in a couple of days after yours. I'll post here when I get it though. If they took best part of a week to get Booleans 'overnighter' to him, I'm not holding my breath. Must be a pretty rough time for AusPost around Christmas - particularly with the exponential growth of online sales etc. So I don't mind cutting them some slack at this time of year - as long as it doesn't get damaged.

Cheers

Steve

Back
Top Bottom