axe fx 2 as an interface live on stage with ableton?

This a great question! I too have interest in using the axe as an interface for live. I also own the UFX but see a huge benefit in dragging less gear to live shows. Lat night I had a small Ableton session running for about 4 hours with no issues..latency set at 128 samples. I'm using a macbook pro with "old" axe usb drivers on 10.6.8...worked fine. I hope to do some more testing tonight. The only issue being direct monitoring vs DAW monitoring, I'd prefer DAW because of using Ableton's effects/looper. I think I read somewhere that you can turn off monitoring in the axe by using an efxloop? Not sure on this one, I am gonna check into it. Ideally, I'd like to run gutiars, vox (with outboard pre), and vsts/au's just using the axe 2 as an interface. anyone else doing this?

peace,
-a

I'd be very interesting in learning about this too - from an expert!!

I'd been thinking to use a hardware looper (the Axe one takes up memory, reduces IA's hugely and has too little time...).

I use a Jamman at the moment, but would like stereo and a bit more options so had been thinking about a Boomerang. However, we've been thinking about using Ableton anyway for drum and other loops, so......

so I ran the axe with Ableton last night for a few hours without much fuss. One issue, when running larger sets (hitting 50% cpu) I was getting a lot of clicks/pops at 128 samps adjusting the buffer cured this, but my UFX could handle the same set at 128 and not click at all. Once increasing the buffer, this presented a problem with monitoring the guitar through the DAW as there was too much latency. Monitoring guitar via the axe is a non issue (no latency). I am gonna try again this week with my full live set (which wont use as much cpu cuz its already processed files) and report back.

I don't think I'd use the Axe without another interface - just for guitars and the MFC for sending commands.

I've used an M-Audio 2626 with Logic on a MacBook Pro for live shows, with success, although I wasn't totally confident with it as I hadn't quite got all the options with the interface sorted out. But it allowed me to use Logic's vst's and the DAW's desk to mix FOH and monitor mixes for up to eight inputs.

Rather than using a mixing desk, is this a configuration anyone would recommend for live shows? I think there are midi controllers to operate Logic...

so I ran the axe with Ableton last night for a few hours without much fuss. One issue, when running larger sets (hitting 50% cpu) I was getting a lot of clicks/pops at 128 samps adjusting the buffer cured this, but my UFX could handle the same set at 128 and not click at all. Once increasing the buffer, this presented a problem with monitoring the guitar through the DAW as there was too much latency. Monitoring guitar via the axe is a non issue (no latency). I am gonna try again this week with my full live set (which wont use as much cpu cuz its already processed files) and report back.

Not surprising. RME has the best drivers and lowest latency. I'm sure the Axe doesn't come close. I'd just take the UFX. Nice piece of kit! I understand you wanting to leave that at home, LOL.

I don't think I'd use the Axe without another interface - just for guitars and the MFC for sending commands.

I've used an M-Audio 2626 with Logic on a MacBook Pro for live shows, with success, although I wasn't totally confident with it as I hadn't quite got all the options with the interface sorted out. But it allowed me to use Logic's vst's and the DAW's desk to mix FOH and monitor mixes for up to eight inputs.

Rather than using a mixing desk, is this a configuration anyone would recommend for live shows? I think there are midi controllers to operate Logic...

I am leaning this way for sure...my main concern is dragging around the UFX but honestly, thats why I got it...so many channels and the flexibility is endless. How was using Logic..any issues?

I am leaning this way for sure...my main concern is dragging around the UFX but honestly, thats why I got it...so many channels and the flexibility is endless. How was using Logic..any issues?

Logic was fine. And the MacBook didn't crash ever. I was recording as well as doing live sound.

I didn't really get comfortable with my 8 channel interface - the M-Audio. This was more to do with unfamiliarity and not already having a method of use, than the box or its software. But it saved carrying a mixing desk, allowed use of the vst's, and sounded excellent. The recordings were good too.

I'd like to get comfortable with it though... If there's anyone doing something similar, I'd love to compare notes.

I used to use a macbook pro with logic 9 and un m-audio profire 2626 too up to a couple of years ago.
Never had any problems.
Using the axe as a soundcard though, that's a whole different story.
I love the axe, but there is NO WAY I would use it as an audio interface in a live situation. EVER.
I don't know what the situation is like on windows, but on mac, even with the new drivers, it's just not reliable. Even in my studio we always hook the axe up to another interface, works great that way.
So my suggestion is: don't. ;)

i use it this way. usb > macbook pro > ableton running various software loopers and plugins > usb > axe out

i'm not monitoring the direct audio through ableton...it's essentially in parallel. the amount of cpu i need means i need to run quite a high buffer setting, but that's ok.

it makes for a very tidy setup with no extra interface to lug about and the whole shebang is nicely mixed together to two the outputs on the back of the axe

if you're planning on using it live, it would be prudent to do some serious stress testing and pay close attention to cpu levels in the laptop and in the axe

i know a couple of other people running it like this too (loopers all). perhaps Per Boysen will chime in if he spots this thread, as he's running it this way as well

You should have no problems with this setup under Windows 7. It's a great way to downsize the gear you need to move.

Simeon - is this just for your guitar stuff?

ANd where does your controller go - MFC?

i use ableton in two ways. one as a simple playback device for backing tracks in our genesis tribute band. i use the axe fx as well, but the two aren't connected.

the axe and the laptop are connected when i do live looping shows. i have three controllers - a yamaha mfc10 for patch selection, a nobels mf-1 for controlling the mobius looper and a novation remote zero sl, which i use to control mobius, the other loopers, the plugins and the routing in ableton. the footcontollers sit on the floor in a pedalboard case and the novation is attached to the keyboard stand i use to hold the axe fx. i use two arms that you would normally use to hold another keyboard, but turned around and cut down to size. a picture shows it more easily...

penarth.jpg

i haven't had a chance to test this with the old drivers ( i'm still on osx 10.6.8 ). if it doesn't work, i'll just use my motu ultralite

i use ableton in two ways. one as a simple playback device for backing tracks in our genesis tribute band. i use the axe fx as well, but the two aren't connected.

the axe and the laptop are connected when i do live looping shows. i have three controllers - a yamaha mfc10 for patch selection, a nobels mf-1 for controlling the mobius looper and a novation remote zero sl, which i use to control mobius, the other loopers, the plugins and the routing in ableton. the footcontollers sit on the floor in a pedalboard case and the novation is attached to the keyboard stand i use to hold the axe fx. i use two arms that you would normally use to hold another keyboard, but turned around and cut down to size. a picture shows it more easily...

penarth.jpg

i haven't had a chance to test this with the old drivers ( i'm still on osx 10.6.8 ). if it doesn't work, i'll just use my motu ultralite

so...how are you using mobius with the axe? It's a software looper right...I am curious how this can be used without DAW monitoring or are you using the axe's looper in conjunction? Ultimately, it would be easiest just to use the axe (for an interface) and guitar and vox with ableton doing the tracks but in order to use ableton's effects/looper you have to use DAW monitoring correct? Also, for running FOH...can output 1 be the guitar and output 2 be the tracks/vox or am I stuck with one stereo send. I am still a bit confused on this. I am using 10.8.6 with old drivers and the axe shows 4x2 so is that 4 mono and 2 stereo or 4 mono and 2 mono (1 stereo)?

so...how are you using mobius with the axe? It's a software looper right...

> yes, it's a software looper

I am curious how this can be used without DAW monitoring or are you using the axe's looper in conjunction?

> i don't understand why you think these two things would be linked. i'm not using the axe looper and i'm not using daw monitoring

Ultimately, it would be easiest just to use the axe (for an interface) and guitar and vox with ableton doing the tracks but in order to use ableton's effects/looper you have to use DAW monitoring correct?

> no, not if it's running in parallel

Also, for running FOH...can output 1 be the guitar and output 2 be the tracks/vox or am I stuck with one stereo send.

> if the axe is the interface, then it'll be one stereo send

I am still a bit confused on this. I am using 10.8.6 with old drivers and the axe shows 4x2 so is that 4 mono and 2 stereo or 4 mono and 2 mono (1 stereo)?

> four streams going out from the axe via usb - two carry the grid audio and two carry what's coming in on the input

you'd be better off using a small audio interface. you could then route the outs from ableton as you pleased.

Back
Top Bottom