Axe + FRFR users, how are you getting feedback?

Simulated feedback can be useful, but IMO, it's no substitute for the real thing. So let's see if we can figure out why it's not happening for you.

Feedback is what happens when signal from the output (your speakers) gets fed back to the input (your guitar). When the fed-back signal is stronger than the signal your strings are generating, you get that sweet, singing, sustaining feedback that you're looking for. That's true whether you're using modeling or not.

With my old 5w valve amp, I'd never struggle to get it with a Muff plugged in, but FRFR makes things exceptionally hard, why is that?
The Muff adds a whole bunch of gain. What happens when you use your Muff with your Axe-Fx?

Are you sure you're using the same amount of gain and volume as you used with your 5-watt valve amp? With FRFR, it's easy to overestimate how much volume you're actually playing with because it sounds so much better than real tubes at low volume.

One thing to consider is whether there's a phase inversion somewhere in your signal chain. That can happen in your guitar, in your power amp, in outboard effects, or even in the Axe itself. If the fed-back signal is phase-inverted, it can actually work against you. Try flipping your Axe's Output Phase, and see what kind of results you get. Does feedback become easier or harder to attain?

I TURN IT UP REAL LOUD! :D

And maybe juice it a bit with an overdrive block and a little reverb or delay to help it catch.

But really I just turn it up really, really loud.

I have no issues at all getting musical feedback through FR. Even at rather low volume levels.

But while a guitar speaker is usually limited to frequencies below 5kHz, FR covers frequencies above that. Which means that it's much easier to get unmusical feedback too, that gets in the way of the desired feedback.

I'm with Yek here. Even at medium to low volume it's not tough.

Interesting here tho, most seem to have no problem, yet others do. He might have something here in that restricting frequencies might help. Sounds counterintuitive, but it might work.

I have no issues at all getting musical feedback through FR. Even at rather low volume levels.

Ditto this. Each FRFR speakers is going to act differently, and all FRFRs are going to be slightly different in their response than a guitar cab, but it's not hard to get. As with cabs, there's always a sweet spot...

Last year I switched my band to all IEM's on stage, so all 4 of my 4x12's on stage are unloaded. There is no monitor in front of me, and I still have no problems getting usable feedback when I want it. I make sure that my input gate leaves me enough signal to achieve this without any extra monitors on stage. The mains in front give me enough to get what I want, even outdoors.

I have seen a few posts giving you some tips, but you have not given us much to work with, as we do not know your setup. How are you running your AxeFx, and what do you have your input gate set to?

I use in ears but still have a cab on stage for feel and feedback. To me there's nothing like a 4 x 12 cab resonating behind you and it's great for feedback.

I have no issues with getting feedback and controlling it with any of my FRFR's. Big or small stages Close or far away from the speakers. Gotta find the sweet spot.

Last edited:
all of the above. the amount of mids is crucial though (even more so than gain, i would say). i have some luck getting feedback from my plexi patch if i turn and face the speakers, which are behind me, but i have a patch that uses a very mild gain fender amp and every note i play feeds back. simply because it has tons of mids.

Back
Top Bottom