Axe-Fest II

So how does the Red Plate sound at home, Ker?
Red plates - Model - CDS2 - I am enjoying this combo amp. Insanely full - good tones are easily acheived. Chimey, bell like, blooming sounds easily/always abound. It can be dialed in "totally 100% clean" -> tweed/black face and then coaxed into searing overdrive at well. - There are many different sounds on tap from such a little box, most of which I can extract with just the guitar vol/tone and foot switches. Much more variety than my Badger. But Also very different than my Badger - Not Better, just a different sound. (Henry told me that if I turn the presence to zero, that will change the mode and that I will then get sounds more like my Matchless Chieftain. - I will try that later today. The Red Plates core sound is much more Fender like, as is intended, but with the ability to go deep into the Marshall/Mesa zone when desired. The foot switch can give a boost to all settings & channel switching . I don't know what Henry puts in the Red Plates but MAN what a box of many tones it is. It really does "Sing" and the overtones are a thing of beauty, dynamics and headroom are huge. It can get LOUD and about the size of a Princeton. I am pleased!
The CDS2 is the model with all of their bells and whistles for tone tweaking.

Last edited:
Hey that looks you guys all had a blast! Congrats to all of you who organize and enjoyed this happening!! I applause to you all :encouragement: :D

PS:
If there were people from the european area, who couldn't be part of this wonderful event, I like to encourage you to join the german axe-fest which would be hold in Daxweiler in spring 2014, near Frankfurt (some of you might know from the Frankfurt fair)....we'll do an Amp vs. AxeFx II shootout, jams, lots of interesting presentations and useful information how to setup your FRFR, tests, small talk, food & drinks etc.

More infos here:
ANMELDUNG für NEUANMELDER: Axe-Fest Germany 2014 | 25. - 27. 4 in Daxweiler

Cheers
Paco

Would it be in German?

FYI - During Q&A, I had asked Cliff if he could recommend a book for those of us who desire more understand of the inner workings of an actual tube amplifier (Which should help to better understand what is going on with the deeper settings in the Axe-FX unit).A lot of these settings relate to actual tube amp scenarios where a bit of amplifier logic and understanding will really help to get the most from the tools that we have in this box. I am sure that the other attendees will agree that some of these deeper settings offer up a lot of minor and even major tone shaping ability which was clearly heard during Cliff's presentation. I for one just feel a little overwhelmed when I get into these deep settings. So I am ordering the book(s)
Cliff had several books he liked, but seemed to think the following would be most helpful:
The Ultimate Tone Tube Amp Books by Kevin O'Connor

FYI - During Q&A, I had asked Cliff if he could recommend a book for those of us who desire more understand of the inner workings of an actual tube amplifier (Which should help to better understand what is going on with the deeper settings in the Axe-FX unit).A lot of these settings relate to actual tube amp scenarios where a bit of amplifier logic and understanding will really help to get the most from the tools that we have in this box. I am sure that the other attendees will agree that some of these deeper settings offer up a lot of minor and even major tone shaping ability which was clearly heard during Cliff's presentation. I for one just feel a little overwhelmed when I get into these deep settings. So I am ordering the book(s)
Cliff had several books he liked, but seemed to think the following would be most helpful:
The Ultimate Tone Tube Amp Books by Kevin O'Connor
TUT is a good place to start, as well as Merlin Blencowe's books for more in depth look
Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass: Merlin Blencowe: 9780956154507: Amazon.com: Books
Designing Power Supplies for Tube Amplifiers: Merlin Blencowe: 9780956154514: Amazon.com: Books

Quite a lot of info on this site about tube amps.

How to design valve guitar amplifiers

Mark
From the Site, I think I'll pass....
Disclaimer:
Building and modifying amplifiers is DANGEROUS (like most fun things). Valve amplifiers invariably contain both very high voltages and high currents, capable of killing you. Whilst anyone can learn the skills to build an amazing amplifier, it goes without saying that you must never work on a live amplifier!

From the Site, I think I'll pass....
Disclaimer:
Building and modifying amplifiers is DANGEROUS (like most fun things). Valve amplifiers invariably contain both very high voltages and high currents, capable of killing you. Whilst anyone can learn the skills to build an amazing amplifier, it goes without saying that you must never work on a live amplifier!

Sounds like a dare to me.

Well I think I have recovered now from a great weekend.

Want to say thanks to everyone for the event. Won't list names as there are too many and wouldn't want to miss anyone.

Very informative presentations (I could have listened to Cliff talk all day), great performances. For me Andy Wood, James Santiago & Friends........ simply amazing. Its been said before but I want to be Andy Wood when I grow up.

Got to chat with Andy when he sat next to me while setup was going on. What a nice guy and had a really good outlook. Not to keep chasing the perfect tone.
Does it sound good, i'm I in tune, as I just want to play!!!!!!! There is a lot to be said for that.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom