AXE FAILED ME??on debut

I may check over my atomic's valve's, as some times there is heavy bass overtone's from the A-E strings, and others it goes toppy as hell ,I got it 2nd hand so :mrgreen: maybe time to replace. I first got it to go with my back-up vox-s.e. which I still love to bits, very versatile bit of kit , in fact it runs the Axe fine as a midi-pedal and looks very pretty with all the lights and glowing valve :D
Another beef ( excuse me ranting) I bought a load of new leads, all the same H/end qualityso as to eliminate mismatches :eek: No way ! out of six two sound okay, the other four vary like crazy, two bleed off bass and two sound dead and toneless.All the same color and length so knowing which was which was a bitch. Sent back the dud's but it show's that all the best electronics money can buy can sound crappy due to the cheapest
but most important link in the chain. :roll:

Back to the subject:

Well, clearly it's one of 2 things:

-User caused.
-Some sort of bug in the Axe.

It's sort of a moot point if you can't recreate it. So I would try that first (do everything you did when it *failed*, INCLUDING the patch loading or whatever beforehand). If nothing you do can recreate it, then it was *something* that you did, whether it be reloading patches, updating something, cats playing with your spinwheel, you get the idea.

If you can recreate, then Cliff is not slow in running these down.

And the upside is if it happens again, you know how to fix it!

The quote about the atomic optimised output is there see last scentence on page:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html

And the quote about the atomic bringing modellers to life is from the Atomnic website:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html
first sentence in the overview para. Although I think to be fair this is talking about the Non Fractal Modelers since most had no feel to them - but it's there in B&W.

I think our friend Angelo was just reading what the manufacturers wrote about their products??

SparkyG said:
The quote about the atomic optimised output is there see last scentence on page:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html

And the quote about the atomic bringing modellers to life is from the Atomnic website:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html
first sentence in the overview para. Although I think to be fair this is talking about the Non Fractal Modelers since most had no feel to them - but it's there in B&W.

I think our friend Angelo was just reading what the manufacturers wrote about their products??

That line is called marketing jargon. Read lower and you will see how it states that other amps can't help but color your tone and the Atomic solves that problem.

Tom king has already commented on this numerous times. Read the sticky on it up top.

I never said the line about the atomic optimized mode wasn't there. I said it doesn't exist in the axe-fx.

Sparky' the statement is - Has a mode' designed to go with Atomic'. surely this is saying
the axe' has a specific built-in interface for the amp mentioned. If it is a general setting
why mention it as a specific? :?:

angello120 said:
Sparky' the statement is - Has a mode' designed to go with Atomic'. surely this is saying
the axe' has a specific built-in interface for the amp mentioned. If it is a general setting

Yes, that is how I read it as well. But, it doesn't exist in the Axe-fx at this point.

javajunkie said:
quonsar said:
angello120 said:
I beg to differ my friend , Quote from the products' page on the fractal website-
The Axe-fx has a mode optimised for connecting to Atomic -reactor amplifiers. It is there in black ink on my screen. :) please look and tell me it is my imagination.

Yes, that would be power amp sims and cab sims disabled.

No, with the atomic you would want the power amp and cab sims on.
With the 18 Watter too? That's news to me. An 18 Watts tube amp at gig volume can hardly be linear. Neither can a 12" be anywhere near full range but we covered that.

Now that I've pondered a bit I recall that atomic feature being mentioned like 1 1/2 years ago? Never seen any follow-up. Don't have an Atomic, so I didn't pay much attention. Maybe forwardthinking on Cliffs part that got sidetracked and rendered obsolete with the development of the Atomic FR. The manual is in constant need of updating, but I totally get it's not a priority and wholeheartedly agree with that prioritization. I'd rather have a better editor. Or the MFC101 in production. Or the Atomic FR in stores around the world. Or even better firmware in my Ultra!
Better turn to the wiki. It's more up to date than the manual.

Angello, from your OP I assumed you might be kinda noobish but it appears you're not. Being that the output2 are only on the other side of output1s XLRs it could have been an easy mistake to make. Pre-gig stress and all. Stranger things have happened. Not having had the Axe-FX that long, the out1-Out2 copy feature might also be news to you. Not every other unit has that. But if you know all about this, I'm certain you'll figure it out and let us know what really happened.

BTW, OP means opening post, but you probably know that too. Just making sure.

angello120 said:

Well, specifically it says..."The Axe-Fx also has a mode optimized for use with Atomic Amplifiers’ Reactor Series amps."
The mode is not necessarilly an interface. To me -an interface would indicate a hardware solution...on the other hand, a mode would lead me to look for a software solution- like a crossover.

I've actually never seen that reference before.

And, Java is corrrect- a software mode does not currently exist.

javajunkie said:
quonsar said:
angello120 said:
I beg to differ my friend , Quote from the products' page on the fractal website-
The Axe-fx has a mode optimised for connecting to Atomic -reactor amplifiers. It is there in black ink on my screen. :) please look and tell me it is my imagination.

The already existing Atomic, or the FRFR? I assumed he was talking about the former.

Dutch said:
javajunkie said:
quonsar said:

With the 18 Watter too? That's news to me. An 18 Watts tube amp at gig volume can hardly be linear. Neither can a 12" be anywhere near full range but we covered that.

Now that I've pondered a bit I recall that atomic feature being mentioned like 1 1/2 years ago? Never seen any follow-up. Don't have an Atomic, so I didn't pay much attention. Maybe forwardthinking on Cliffs part that got sidetracked and rendered obsolete with the development of the Atomic FR. The manual is in constant need of updating, but I totally get it's not a priority and wholeheartedly agree with that prioritization. I'd rather have a better editor. Or the MFC101 in production. Or the Atomic FR in stores around the world. Or even better firmware in my Ultra!

Angello, from your OP I assumed you might be kinda noobish but it appears you're not. Being that the output2 are only on the other side of output1s XLRs it could have been an easy mistake to make. Pre-gig stress and all. Stranger things have happened. Not having had the Axe-FX that long, the out1-Out2 copy feature might also be news to you. Not every other unit has that. But if you know all about this, I'm certain you'll figure it out and let us know what really happened.

Any amp driven to the point of clipping will be non-linear. It is just a matter of at what point and how it does it. Most of the modelers it was orginally designed to work with can't turn off the poweramp section any way.

It is a moot point the OP stated "No I leave all amp/cabs on."

quonsar said:
javajunkie said:
quonsar said:

The already existing Atomic, or the FRFR? I assumed he was talking about the former.

Not many of the original modelers it was designed for had the ability to turn off the poweramp section

javajunkie said:
Dutch said:
javajunkie said:

Most of the modelers it was orginally designed to work with can't turn off the poweramp section any way.
Good point.

But as Electronpirate said, back to the point

What was then parameter that kept changing back in the IO menu?

Out 1 copy to 2 was off! I set to on as i use 2 at home, it has defaulted to off 3 times now. And no I did not confuse' outputs , there is after all 2 xlr and 2 jack's ,I only use the jacks. Any way it is on now so 2mrw will see. :?

angello120 said:
Out 1 copy to 2 was off! I set to on as i use 2 at home, it has defaulted to off 3 times now. And no I did not confuse' outputs , there is after all 2 xlr and 2 jack's ,I only use the jacks. Any way it is on now so 2mrw will see. :?

I'll try when I get home

angello120 said:
Actually as you know but just for completeness sake, there are four jack outputs: both Out1 and Out2 have their own set of two jacks each. Out1 also has XLRs which can actually be used at the same time as the Out1 jacks. Out1's jacks are to the left of Out1's XLRs and Out2's jacks are to the right of those XLRs. Easily mistaken. Happened to me. Kept turning the out2 volume and nothing happened. Scared the shit out of silly old me. Anyway, it didn't happen to you.

Which Firmware are you on? Haven't seen it before but it could be a new firmware bug.
My Ultra is on 8.06 and copy 1-2 was on just now.

We'll see tomorrow.

Just loaded 8.05 standard . Oh and I was editing a patch earlier and the axe' froze-up. Had to turn off and re-boot as nothing would work
just stuck on amp-sim screen . Came on fine thankfully. What fun all this is. :D
so much to learn ,so little time :roll:

That happens sometime. Even when editing the front panel. It never locked during a gig yet. Then again I haven't gigged it much yet.
I have an audition in two weeks.

Were you editing the front panel or Axe-Edit?
Axe-Edit is highly unstable still. At least it is on my setup. It won't store onto my Axe-FX. I can only store to the buffer and then I have to save on the front panel. Crashes frequently. Locks up my Axe. Standard Beta behaviour.

Thanks dutch, good luck with audition, I feel you will breeze it :) Let me give you a spooky one :eek: I just heard from another muso' who did the same venue as I was at when the axe' went funny, he set up there a month ago and when he came to start the gig,
his sequencer had gone blank! nada' . he kept all his material on mini-disc as safety so did the job. But when he fired up the unit at home to check it ?? Perfect :shock: nothing wrong at all :?
Truly there is more going on down here than we know about.

angello120 said:
Thanks dutch, good luck with audition, I feel you will breeze it :) Let me give you a spooky one :eek: I just heard from another muso' who did the same venue as I was at when the axe' went funny, he set up there a month ago and when he came to start the gig,
his sequencer had gone blank! nada' . he kept all his material on mini-disc as safety so did the job. But when he fired up the unit at home to check it ?? Perfect :shock: nothing wrong at all :?
Truly there is more going on down here than we know about.

It shouldn't lock up period. If it does, it is a bug or hardware issue. If you can reproduce it, they can usually fix it quickly.

Editing with the editor is a different story. Plenty of bugs to work out in the program still.

Back
Top Bottom