Axe Edit not liking when NI Kontact is in a session in Logic Pro

Mark Cullen

Inspired
Anyone else having or had this issue?

I'm in Logic Pro X 10.7.8

Computer is iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
macOS Monterey 12.6.1

Processor: 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Installed NI Komplete 7 last week and now if I have a Logic session with Kontact in it, Axe Edit communication with the Axe FX III slows down to virtually nothing. This does not happen in Logic sessions without Kontact being used.

What can I do?

That’s an old Komplete.
Do you have all the Kontakt updates? what kontakt version?

i haven’t noticed any issues. but may be able to try it this evening.

Ran out of time to try it this evening but did remember this thread. Maybe it’s similar. See:

[Solved] Logic Pro Crashing with Axe-Edit running​

could it be a plethora of cc messages slowing down communication. download "midi monitor" and have it running so you can what's what. you might want to check "control surface setup" and see if logic / kontakt is trying to send midi to a control surface that you've installed, but aren't using

maybe this helps to bring a little light into the darkness.
Even if it is not always directly obvious, many music programs but also AXE-Edit communicate via Midi.

Even if the connection between computer and AXE-FXIII is established via USB, AXE-Edit communicates with the AXE-FXIII via Midi.

Also important is that the communication between two partners is not always executive, because over so-called MIdi channels the data exchange takes place and several partners can use, if so set up the Midi channel e.g. 1.
And thereby influence each other intentionally or unintentionally.

AXE-Edit for example uses after the installation basically the Midi channel 1.
How do you recognize this and where is this to be found? The Audio & Midi utility in MAC OS also manages all midi devices. With a double click on the AXE-FXIII a window opens with the corresponding MIDI parameters.
Here also the PORT name / Device Name, which we see in AXE-EDIT is determined and can be changed also here, like the Midi channel.

If NI also uses MIDI channel 1, this could be a possible reason for the described problems.

A possible solution could be to change the midi channel to e.g. 2 in the Audio & Midi utility and in the MIDI SETUP for the AXE-FXIII.

1687358829646.png
1687358940386.png

Last edited:
could it be a plethora of cc messages slowing down communication. download "midi monitor" and have it running so you can what's what. you might want to check "control surface setup" and see if logic / kontakt is trying to send midi to a control surface that you've installed, but aren't using
Downloaded the midi monitor.
Had to restart the computer as part of the midi monitor installation.

Midi Monitor seems to show just constant sysex messages from and to the Axe Fx III. When I unchecked System Exclusive on the filter I didn't see that anymore (of course!)

Opened up my Logic Session with Kontact in it.
Axe Edit seems to be communicating OK today... Maybe the restart did it (even though I already did 2 restarts the other day...) 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom