Axe-Edit III 1.14.00

I'm with you. Keep it where it is. I have a 2017 iMac with MacOS 10.13.6. I have no intention of updating or buying a new Mac because I have tons of Waves plugins and other recording software all working perfectly as it is. Plus I'd rather spend the money on an Axe FXIV someday, or maybe on a spare Axe FXIII for back up.
Use opencore legacy patcher, and voilà :)

For "most compatibility", it has always been necessary to not keep up. It's common practice to target the oldest version of MacOS that your app is capable of supporting (and that you're willing to test). You do that by leaving the build machine on the appropriate version of MacOS/XCode.

In other words, if AxeEdit doesn't need new features that have been introduced to MacOS since 10.13, then there's no need to upgrade the build machine past Sonoma and XCode 15. That will provide support for MacOS 10.13 for years to come. I'm pretty sure FAS understands this. For example, AxeEdit had a minimum of 10.7 for years and that only recently changed to 10.13.
I understand what you are saying. However, things can break in strange and unpredictable ways if you run an app that is not built with the tools that expressly support that OS. I.e. Xcode 15 built app running on iOS 18 or MacOS 15. As a developer of of these platforms I experience it all the time. Thankfully I have yet to with the FAS editors in the MacOS 15.1 Betas.

However, Apple doesn’t maintain compatibility indefinitely like Microsoft tries to do with Windows. People on the Apple ecosystem should expect that at this point in time. Based on my experiences in both platforms I think Apple’s approach is far and away better.

I understand what you are saying. However, things can break in strange and unpredictable ways if you run an app that is not built with the tools that expressly support that OS. I.e. Xcode 15 built app running on iOS 18 or MacOS 15.

XCode 15 set to a deployment target of 10.13 does expressly support 10.13 and up. Probably 99% of all apps currently in use are running on a newer version of MacOS than they were built on :).

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I would humbly disagree with the idea that it isn't practical or possible for AxeEdit to support 10.13 for the next few years simply because Apple released Sequoia in 2024.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I would humbly disagree with the idea that it isn't practical or possible for AxeEdit to support 10.13 for the next few years simply because Apple released Sequoia in 2024.
Where I was going is that to build apps for full support of the upcoming MacOS you need to use Xcode 16 which has a minimum target of MacOS 10.14. Developers run the risk of compatibility that cause unexpected behaviors or crashes if they continue to build with an Xcode version that doesn’t support newer versions of MacOS. So far apps I use built with Xcode 15 have been running okay on MacOS 15. That may not always be the case. If and when it becomes the case then the minimum version of MacOS will have to increment along with the Xcode version.

Last edited:
Also, I had the last generation Intel Core i9 MacBook Pro that cost Me $5000. My wife’s M1 MacBook Air with 16 GB RAM that cost $1400 ran circles around it. If you are running a Mac old enough to not support even 10.14, even the cheapest Mac with Apple Silicon that you can buy will be a huge upgrade (as long as it has 16 GB RAM minimum). Bite the bullet already…

Back
Top Bottom