Axe-Edit III 1.14.00

Love the new MIDI setup menu, very handy! However, can someone please remind me why we cant map modifiers to Global Performance Controls?

Love the new MIDI setup menu, very handy! However, can someone please remind me why we cant map modifiers to Global Performance Controls?
You can - the Manual Controllers.

None of the other modifiers can be controlled manually (that I can think of) so how would that work?

I want to map a midi CC (from a midi controller, like a keyboard) to a global performance param, i.e. Gain on Amp1.

I want to map a midi CC (from a midi controller, like a keyboard) to a global performance param, i.e. Gain on Amp1.
You mean you want to assign what CC is being used or you want to manually adjust the CC value?

I'm not quite following...

You mean you want to assign what CC is being used or you want to manually adjust the CC value?

I'm not quite following...
I thought I was perfectly clear. I want to adjust Global Performance Controls using an external MIDI controller. When you right click on any control with the little yellow circle on the bottom, you can assign an External Controller to it, just like most factory presets have the Wah is globally assigned to Pedal 1 or External Control 1 (based on your settings). You cannot do that for Global Perf.

I thought I was perfectly clear. I want to adjust Global Performance Controls using an external MIDI controller. When you right click on any control with the little yellow circle on the bottom, you can assign an External Controller to it, just like most factory presets have the Wah is globally assigned to Pedal 1 or External Control 1 (based on your settings). You cannot do that for Global Perf.
Ok, obviously it wasn't perfectly clear or I wouldn't ask for clarification ;)

What would be the point? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

The purpose of the Performance Pages is to have easy access to controls via the knobs on the front. If you assign a controller then you wouldn't be able to control it with the knobs...

However, any parameter that supports a modifier should be able to be assigned to the Performance Pages.

Use your example: assign a modifier to the Control parameter of the Wah block. Now add the Control parameter to the Performance Page.

Ok, obviously it wasn't perfectly clear or I wouldn't ask for clarification ;)

What would be the point? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

The purpose of the Performance Pages is to have easy access to controls via the knobs on the front. If you assign a controller then you wouldn't be able to control it with the knobs...

However, any parameter that supports a modifier should be able to be assigned to the Performance Pages.

Use your example: assign a modifier to the Control parameter of the Wah block. Now add the Control parameter to the Performance Page.
My AxeFX is in a rack behind me, my keyboard is right next to me, I want to control the gain/bmt/etc. using the knobs of my MIDI keyboard. I can easily modify any preset to map it to my keyboard, but the global option would make it easier (not having to update every preset).

My AxeFX is in a rack behind me, my keyboard is right next to me, I want to control the gain/bmt/etc. using the knobs of my MIDI keyboard. I can easily modify any preset to map it to my keyboard, but the global option would make it easier (not having to update every preset).
That's not how the Performance Pages work.

They merely make for quick access to the parameters that may exist within a preset.

They "present" the parameter on another screen, nothing more.

Just like moving those knobs in one preset doesn't adjust the settings in another preset...

That’s a popular feature request. That’s a common feature in software that has assignable controls. It’s a handy way to configure remote control, not only for global assignment, but for per-preset as well, since it makes it easy to do context-sensitive assignments.

That's not how the Performance Pages work.

They merely make for quick access to the parameters that may exist within a preset.

They "present" the parameter on another screen, nothing more.

Just like moving those knobs in one preset doesn't adjust the settings in another preset...
They are mapped to the knobs on the front panel in the perf page, right? Moving those knobs will apply to any loaded preset, that’s why its global. I just want to map them to other external controllers, using the same interface as mapping any other parameter.

Last edited:
They are mapped to the knobs on the front panel in the perf page, right? Moving those knobs will apply to any loaded preset, that’s why its global. I just want to map them to other external controllers, using the same interface as mapping any other parameter.
It's not the same...

The knobs are the knobs IN the preset.

Which knobs appear on the Performance Page is what is Global, not the actual knob itself.

You can have knobs there that aren't even in the preset.

Sorry, I can't find the words to explain it better than this...

It's not the same...

The knobs are the knobs IN the preset.

Which knobs appear on the Performance Page is what is Global, not the actual knob itself.

You can have knobs there that aren't even in the preset.

Sorry, I can't find the words to explain it better than this...

The ability to have midi control over performance controls is a fairly common feature request. You often see this feature in apps with assignable controls, so it's a reasonable thing to request.

One way to think of it is: it would be useful if performance controls were presented to the user as parameters with an assignable function. As parameters, they would then have the ability to have modifiers assigned to them...most importantly as a way to provide midi control over them.

There are a number of uses for this. For one, it gives you a simple way to globally attach a midi controller to anything that can be assigned to a global performance control. That's the use case he's referring to. Both the modifier and the function are global.

There are other handy uses though: if you attach a few midi controller knobs to per-preset performance controls, you can then create your presets with a handful of important parameters assigned to per-preset performance controls, and thus automatically have your midi knobs attached to whatever is important for each preset. In this case the modifier attachment to the performance control is global, but the function is per-preset.

Back
Top Bottom