Not a Bug Axe-Edit III 1.05.11 Macbook Pro CPU and Fan Noise

When using the external monitor, yes. Regardless, that should not be causing this problem...
Right now you do not know what is causing the problem. You said changing the accessibility settings had a positive affect albeit a minor one.

My 35 years in IT troubleshooting computer issues tells me this is something we should check I have a hunch.

Please indulge me and post a screenshot of the internal display scaling. If I am wrong then no harm done and a potential cause will be eliminated.

Right now you do not know what is causing the problem. You said changing the accessibility settings had a positive affect albeit a minor one.

My 35 years in IT troubleshooting computer issues tells me this is something we should check I have a hunch.

Please indulge me and post a screenshot of the internal display scaling. If I am wrong then no harm done and a potential cause will be eliminated.
Hi Steve, certainly, don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate your help triaging the issue :)

For me, changing the settings in Accessibility made no difference, opening up the Axe III Edit in low res does help a bit. Here is a screenshot of my monitor, it's in "scaled" setting, which is 2560x1440 resolution.
1588883052291.png

Just FYI, Ian isn't a Fractal employee ;)
My bad, I thought he is :) Is there any Fractal employee on this thread? Is there a better way to file a bug for this issue? @Michael Pickens

Just FYI, Ian isn't a Fractal employee ;)

I don't know WTF that has to do with anything @unix-guy -- beta team often gets involved like this to recreate an issue before taking it back to Fractal staff. No one said they were staff. Only that we couldn't recreate the issue. This is par for the course. If you're not going to actively help, at least don't inject confusion and delays into the process.

My bad, I thought he is :) Is there any Fractal employee on this thread? Is there a better way to file a bug for this issue? @Michael Pickens

Tagging Fractal staff is generally low response rate because there are many of you, few of them, and high demands on their time. That's why we do it this way. Sometimes you'll get a response, but not always.

The build-in retina is just the standard 2880 x 1800 display.
So you aren’t scaling it up to the highest resolution? The internal retina display defaults at a lower resolution.

My thought was that scaling up the internal display to the highest resolution might trigger a possible bug where Axe-Edit would start to tax the CPU/GPU enough for the internal heat to go up which would cause the fans to spin up.

I don't know WTF that has to do with anything @unix-guy -- beta team often gets involved like this to recreate an issue before taking it back to Fractal staff. No one said they were staff. Only that we couldn't recreate the issue. This is par for the course. If you're not going to actively help, at least don't inject confusion and delays into the process.
Sorry - I wasn't intending to cause any confusion, nor did I say anyone claimed to be staff.

I was trying to provide clarity because I have seen many cases where new users mistake moderators for Fractal staff and expect things of them because of that.

In this case, it seems my assumptions were correct based on the OP's reply.

I also didn't think about the beta tester team, though, so apologies there as well.

Tagging Fractal staff is generally low response rate because there are many of you, few of them, and high demands on their time. That's why we do it this way. Sometimes you'll get a response, but not always.
Hi @iaresee , sorry, I think unix-guy meant for the good, and the same from me. I didn't realize this is how you guys work. Please don't take it wrong, really appreciate all the help from you and Chris so far :)

Let me know if there is anything else that I can provide or you want me to try, thanks a lot, man :)

So you aren’t scaling it up to the highest resolution? The internal retina display defaults at a lower resolution.

My thought was that scaling up the internal display to the highest resolution might trigger a possible bug where Axe-Edit would start to tax the CPU/GPU enough for the internal heat to go up which would cause the fans to spin up.
Nope, I didn't change the resolution manually. But sorry I reported the wrong resolution earlier, the default one is 1680x1050, which I didn't change.

Last edited:
Nope, I didn't change the resolution manually. But sorry I reported the wrong resolution earlier, the default one is 1680x1050, which I didn't change.
Okay that’s not it. You wouldn’t be running Avast security by any chance?

Any update w.r.t. this issue, even with "open in low res" option, AXE III Edit still drives up the fan of my macbook often... @iaresee
i think we need to find one or two more people who experience this to try and troubleshoot. i think majority of mac users don't experience this, so it might be something configured on your system potentially?

could you partition an external hard drive or something and install a fresh Mac OS? then install just Edit and try it out. that would give us some indication.

i think we need to find one or two more people who experience this to try and troubleshoot. i think majority of mac users don't experience this, so it might be something configured on your system potentially?

could you partition an external hard drive or something and install a fresh Mac OS? then install just Edit and try it out. that would give us some indication.
That's a lot of work, I can't really do that right now, unfortunately... :-(

Well, let me ask in the main FX-III discussion forum, hard to believe only 2 of us are having this problem....

Another new piece of data: I have my HWMonitor running side by side with Axe III Edit, so I can watch the CPU temps as I use the software.

I found that:
1. when I select an empty block, the CPU temp would drop subsequently (much like when I click on "pause" communicastion)
2. when I click on an active block, CPU temp would increase,
3. in particular, when I click on the "Cab" block, CPU temps increase most dramatically.

FWIW, @iaresee @chris

Back
Top Bottom