Not a Bug Axe-Edit III 1.05.11 Macbook Pro CPU and Fan Noise

Just two, in case folks don't pay too much attention on the other thread in the sub forum...

Have spend many hours debugging this issue, and it seems it won't be worked on unless more people experience the same issue...

Very frustrating here....

Not sure what I am missing, my macbook's is running crazy hot and noisy right now, when I select and work on the "cab" block:

1589271287245.png

Not sure what I am missing, my macbook's is running crazy hot and noisy right now, when I select and work on the "cab" block:

View attachment 67298

Run Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) to confirm what's using high CPU on your Mac. Axe-Edit is at about 20% CPU at the moment on mine.

You have me wondering now though, there's been times the fans in my Mac have been going full tilt. Next time it happens I'll check CPU usage to see if it's Axe Edit or not.

Run Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) to confirm what's using high CPU on your Mac. Axe-Edit is at about 20% CPU at the moment on mine.

You have me wondering now though, there's been times the fans in my Mac have been going full tilt. Next time it happens I'll check CPU usage to see if it's Axe Edit or not.
Thanks @Rekster, in my case, Axe III Edit normally do not consume more than 20% CPU, however, it still cause the CPU temp spikes up to 90 C and cause the fan the run noisy.

Besides the "Axe Edit" process, another "MIDI_Server" process is also running about 10% CPU, killing that process lower the CPU temp considerable, however, that kills the Axe III Edit as well.

Do you have Chrome running all the time? Can you kill that, using Activity Monitor, and try again?

Did you see there's an 'energy' tab on Activity Monitor? Did you check that to confirm it's Axe Edit causing the temperature spike?

I did have issues initially when I first got my MacBook 2 months ago with kernel panics. But rebuilt the OS and haven't had an issue since. Have you tried Fan Control for your macbook? I use this on all my MacBooks and we use it on all our production systems at church to keep them cool.

1589279474590.png 1589279784750.png

While I know how frustrating these things can be (BTDT - Been There, Done That), and while I understand that it seems to be Axe Edit that is the culprit, there is one other factor to consider. Most others with Macbooks and Macbook Pros do NOT have the problem, so I wonder if you've considered a hardware fault in your Macbook? Or maybe it's a clash between your Axe Edit and some other software or firmware feature that is specific to YOUR computer?

Just a thought - may be worth a visit to the nearest Apple Genius Bar now that they're gradually reopening those....

fan control is just sticking a plaster on it. bear in mind that some mac laptops run hot, generally...and that 92 degrees is within normal operating temps. the cores can hit 100 degrees and still function perfectly well. if the fans are ramping up, they're doing their job.

midi server is part of audio / midi setup, so you could have a peek at that and make sure everything looks tickety-boo

fan control is just sticking a plaster on it. bear in mind that some mac laptops run hot, generally...and that 92 degrees is within normal operating temps. the cores can hit 100 degrees and still function perfectly well. if the fans are ramping up, they're doing their job.

midi server is part of audio / midi setup, so you could have a peek at that and make sure everything looks tickety-boo

That's true on the level that no, his computer isn't just going to melt on him. But it stills seems to be an abnormal behaviour that what should pretty moderate usage is somehow pushing something in his computer to their limits.

If the CPU usage is still low though, I'm not sure what's causing the excess heat. Since the CPU and GPU share a heatsync, can you check your GPU usage on the cab screen, see if something in the UI renderer is just fully utilizing the GPU? Other thing to check would be voltage levels, maybe the usage isn't going up but something is somehow inducing the voltage levels to go to max.

Mac's still measure CPU where each core is 100% right, so a multithreaded application can be using 3-400% if it's spread across a few cores? In that case it only being 20% means it shouldn't even be taxing a single core.

yeah, i did consider gpu usage as well. you can open a little window in activity monitor to view that.

if killing midi server seems to mitigate the issue, then looking for something related to that might be worth pursuing as well

Would need a lot more info on the setup. A lot of things can cause Macs to run hot. AXE Edit does add some strain to mine and can trigger the fan, but only when I am running it in combo with some other power hogs like an external monitor, or other software like a DAW or Transcribe or something. It's just A factor, not THE factor. So... yes sure... I have this issue, but I don't see it as an issue... just that I have to manage how much I am asking of my MBpro.

One thing to look for.... when the HD gets pretty full, you get a lot more performance issues and heat. How much space do you have left? Check the "System" portion of your HD. It should be small, but certain versions of Mac OS can cause it to get HUGE (like up to and over 200GB in some cases.) High Sierra is notorious for that. It's mostly because of poor Time Machine management... and you have to go in and clear it out manually. Not sure if Catalina has that issue though.

Year old MacBook Pro here. Doesn't run overly hot, but Axe-Edit does get the fan going and drains the battery at a decent clip. For this reason, I try not to run another high-load program like Logic and Axe-Edit at the same time too much.

Would need a lot more info on the setup. A lot of things can cause Macs to run hot. AXE Edit does add some strain to mine and can trigger the fan, but only when I am running it in combo with some other power hogs like an external monitor, or other software like a DAW or Transcribe or something. It's just A factor, not THE factor. So... yes sure... I have this issue, but I don't see it as an issue... just that I have to manage how much I am asking of my MBpro.
I think this is the same issue, macbook pro is pretty powerful, an application like Axe III Edit should not need to be as heavy as a DAW... @chris

Year old MacBook Pro here. Doesn't run overly hot, but Axe-Edit does get the fan going and drains the battery at a decent clip. For this reason, I try not to run another high-load program like Logic and Axe-Edit at the same time too much.
Another example of such issue, Axe-Edit should not be as heavy as a DAW. IMHO, I feel there is CPU hotspot somewhere in the codes that could be optimized away. @iaresee

This is what I suspected, the issue is likely more wild spread than the mere 2 cases reported in the other thread, but others might be more willing to manage/tolerate it than reporting it. In my case:
1. My macbook is pretty fresh with pretty much the highest configuration, e.g. 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, with minimum software install, I have Chrome and my IDEA open which never gave me trouble by themselves.
2. I do use an external monitor with 2550x1440 resolution, this again alone give me no trouble to CPU or fan, even when other heavy programs running concurrently.

It's possible that there are excessive midi communication between the unit and computer that is ramping up the CPU and fan.

Need more specs about your machine. I don't have this issue on my MBP.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.13.44 AM.png

How much free disk space do you have?
If you close as many programs as possible, do you still have the issue? Specifically close chrome, your IDE, anything that hooks into finder.
Do you have the same issue when not connected to external monitor?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom