Axe-Edit 3.8.0 Released

First time I've used Axe-Change. It was way too much effort for me previously. This is to me a huge improvement on that service.

Are there plans to enhance the filtering facilities? I'd like to be able to show only presets created for a specific firmware version, say.

Great update, thanks! :) Still waiting for metronome on/off button in AE, since the START BOTH button in the TMA block managed to squeeze in, I hope the metronome will too some day :rolleyes:
Or maybe as an additional block with more complex options (click tone, various beat subdivision and such) :rolleyes:

The automatic pause feature is killer. No more stuttering as you dial and stomp.

Like Ian said, it's been a blast to use this in beta. Now everyone gets a chance to play with it.

Axe-Edit 3.8.0 is now live on the website and auto-update.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-edit-software.php

Release Notes

New Features:
2. Added new Block menu command "Reset Current Effect Type". This command is an expansion of the existing Block Reset command.
a. "Reset Current Effect Type" saves the block's current effect type (if applicable), resets the block to its defaults, and then changes the block's effect type back to the saved value.

Hi Michael;

really great new features!
Thanks a lot!

Even because resetting amps is a often discussed theme in our german forum,
your addition is so much helpful, to do this job.
I i.e. also use a lot of the advanced parameters.

But in addition to this new feature, I had some generally thoughts about resetting blocks,
especially amp-blocks.

From time to time, there is a need to reset an amp by selecting another and after that
reselecting the old one.

I know, this leads to a completely new firmware-like refreshed amp-block with the whole
data-structure of the new firmware.
On the other hand, since a few firmwares, the data-structure of a preset will be actualized,
when I first call a preset after an update.
In context of that facts to your new feature, there are some questions;

1) What's the difference between reselecting an amp as described and
"Block Reset" resp. "Reset Current Effect Type" ?

2) Wouldn't it be a good idea, to do all these steps in ONE function ?
"Block Reset" resp. "Reset Current Effect Type" with a (invisible) reselecting;
So we would have a complete resetting AND saved old parameter values!

I ask that, because I think, that when I first reselect an amp, your "Reset Current Effect Type"-function
will not set back all parameters to my old values before the reselecting!

I hope, you can recognize what I wrote, 'cause english isn't my native language ;-)

Kindly regards and thanks for your interest!
Mike

Hi Michael;

really great new features!
Thanks a lot!

Even because resetting amps is a often discussed theme in our german forum,
your addition is so much helpful, to do this job.
I i.e. also use a lot of the advanced parameters.

But in addition to this new feature, I had some generally thoughts about resetting blocks,
especially amp-blocks.

From time to time, there is a need to reset an amp by selecting another and after that
reselecting the old one.

I know, this leads to a completely new firmware-like refreshed amp-block with the whole
data-structure of the new firmware.
On the other hand, since a few firmwares, the data-structure of a preset will be actualized,
when I first call a preset after an update.
In context of that facts to your new feature, there are some questions;

1) What's the difference between reselecting an amp as described and
"Block Reset" resp. "Reset Current Effect Type" ?

2) Wouldn't it be a good idea, to do all these steps in ONE function ?
"Block Reset" resp. "Reset Current Effect Type" with a (invisible) reselecting;
So we would have a complete resetting AND saved old parameter values!

I ask that, because I think, that when I first reselect an amp, your "Reset Current Effect Type"-function
will not set back all parameters to my old values before the reselecting!

I hope, you can recognize what I wrote, 'cause english isn't my native language ;-)

Kindly regards and thanks for your interest!
Mike

The word "Reset" really has two uses in the Axe-Fx and the Editor.

As you noted, after installing a new firmware it was a best-practice to re-select the Amp type so that new or updated parameters were set to their default value. This was referred to in the Axe-Fx Release Notes as "resetting your amp". This action is no longer a requirement and now happens automatically during preset load.

In the Editor, "Reset" means to set all of the parameters in a block to default values. This leaves the block in a completely clean state (Reset), or a clean state based only on the Effect Type (Reset Current Effect Type). These "Reset" commands are for any block (Amp, Cab, Chorus, Delay, etc.).

Re-selecting an amp by changing the "Effect Type" will set only the relevant parameters to their default values. These default values are specified by the selected type. This will also hold some parameters to their current values (parameters like Bass, Middle, Treble). However, doing this also has the consequence of setting parameters you may have changed (such as Tonestack, Tube Type, Bias, etc.) to their default value. This is not only specific to the AMP block but to other blocks as well. For instance, changing the Effect Type on the DRIVE will cause the Low Cut, High Cut, and Clip Type to change to their drive-specific defaults.

"Reset" sets every parameter (including Effect Type) in the selected block to its individual default value. It is as if each parameter, including the Effect Type, was double-clicked in the editor.

"Reset Current Effect Type" actually calls "Reset", where each parameter is set to its individual default state, and then the previous "Effect Type" is re-selected. This causes the parameters relevant to that Effect Type to change (in the case of an AMP block: Tube Types, Master Volume, Bias, etc).

Having two separate Reset functions in the editor allows the customer to choose how they want to change the block.

I think it could be rather difficult to have a "Reset" function which retains some parameters but defaulted others. This would require some sort of exclusion list, otherwise the editor would not know which parameters you wanted saved.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Last edited:
The word "Reset" really has two uses in the Axe-Fx and the Editor.
I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Hi Michael!

Thank you very much for this detailed answer!
Indeed it HAS helped, to clear up all the confusion about the context of resetting amp-blocks (and others) ;-)

And even my idea, I described above, is superflous, because of this:
"... This action is no longer a requirement and now happens automatically during preset load. .."
So "Reset Current Effect Type" does, what I thought, it should do ;-)

Because it's the first time, someone made such a great effort to explain these coherences,
your remarks should find their way into the Axe-Edit-Release Notes!
So all the other users can benefit from these informations!

Thank you once again Michael and kindly regards to you and the rest of the FAS-team!

Michael

What I immediately noticed is how long it takes to save presets. Crazy amount of time. If I copy say 5 or 6 presets, it turns them red, then it takes about 7 or 8 seconds per preset to save them to green.

I was just working with the previous version last night. Took maybe 2 to 3 seconds per preset?

OSX Yosemite. Latest firmware Axe XL. Axe Edit 3.8.

Same here on Windows 10. Moving/Saving presets became incredible slow with the latest Axe-Edit. I hope it's a bug and not a new feature! :D

Not specifically related to the latest version, but when you double-click the Character Amt knob, the value goes up to the maximum point of 10.00. I think it should be 0.00 and hope it'll be fixed sometime.
OSX El Capitan Axe FX ii mark ii firmware 3.03

The "Pause communications function" really threw me off at first. Just updated AE and everytime I changed preset or scene via my FCB1010 I was getting the message. I play in a home office setup with AE running all the time. Good to know it can be switched off.

Back
Top Bottom