AXE 3 sounds weird

Sounds spikey like too many unwanted highs are getting through. Turn the gain up in the amp block, to your satisfaction. Try sticking a PEQ at the end of the block chain and get rid of everything above 8k, with at least a 24 slope. I roll off 6k on many presets. See if that helps.

In my ten year experience with the Ultra, the secret was in the selection of the IR and mic. In the III I’ve already found it’s the IR and speaker impedance curves. Note that you can intentially mismatch the speaker impedance which will heavily alter the sound of the IR. Also, note that picking an IR doesn’t select an appropriate speaker impedance automatically.

I found most of the high gain presets to be much too bright and dry, but they can be tamed. On the cab page, start with one cab rather than blending. Start by finding the warmest IR you can. Try picking a softer IR like a TV or basketweave with a 121 mic. Use the cab preamp, room ambience, and IR smoothing to soften the sound. If it’s still too bright and harsh use the low cuts in the cab block before you add extra filter blocks. Remember to check the speaker impedance in the amp block after you select a cab.

I find many of the high gain amps unbearably bright without turning off the bright switch. Turn down the presence (a lot). Try turning down the gain and/or adding boost instead. Add input dynamics and output compression. Other amp parameters that I use to soften the sound are preamp and power amp hardness, sag, variac, and negative feedback.

I've tried my III with my DT880s and found that they were ok, but it was much more pleasant to listen with monitors.

I couldn’t find your preset in the defaults. Is it a factory preset?

no it's on

I did - they all sound lifeless, even austin buddy's presets.

one monitor.. I tried using my DT990 but it still sounds awful - sounds metalic and utterly muffled

all the EQ settings on all presets are in the middle position.
not sure I understand what " Drive is turned down" means.

It didn’t sound like the Input Drive was cranked up. Turn those knobs, man. Don’t expect to plug in and get your dream tones without doing a little work. That sound in the clip you posted sounds like most amps when everything is in the middle.

I can see now that it's not a factory preset, right? It's one of Austin Buddy's.

1. Are you in a particular Scene, ie Scene 01?
2. Have you checked out all of the Scenes within the Preset? If you are in Scene 1, it's listed as "lower gain":

S1 LowerGain (try TubeScrmr)
S2 Rhythm
S3 ContourOn1
S4 ContourOn2
S5 Snarl TiltEQ
S6 Mo'+TbScrmr
S7 ScoopingIt
S8 Lead (tube scrmr)

3. And finally, what firmware are you using on your Axe FX III? The presets are for FW 12 and higher.

Last edited:
@maorgr can you do a factory reset on your unit? Back it all up first, take it back to factory defaults, and start from fresh again.

For instructions see: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters#Axe-Fx_III

I reset the device, downgraded to FW 11.01 , loaded default presets
here are "TRY AXES" + Comment concourse + SOLO 88 (not in that order) sample... they sound pretty much the same IMHO. does that even make sense ?

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried a different guitar, different cable, and different input (you need to change the input block # in a preset as well to get sound)? Sorry didn’t read the whole thread but yeah that doesn’t sound right.

it could be the guitar or cable. But also try another input.

here are "TRY AXES" + Comment concourse + SOLO 88 (not in that order) sample... they sound pretty much the same IMHO. does that even make sense ?

Thanks for your help.

I’m listening on an iPad and can hear that all 3 patches sound completely different from each other. And it really doesn’t help when you just hit three lowest strings open - can you play a riff or some chords?

BTW, I tried out that ENGL Preset. Scene 1 is kinda dull, but go to Scene 2 - snarly!

Mine also sounds kinda dull with most high gain presets. Usually Boost + EQ (pre and post) do the magic. Of all the presets I have tried imho only Leon Todd's sound really awesome out of the box. I strongly suggest you to try "LT MK8" on AxeChange. The 3rd scene (Tight C++) is really good, just add some boost and play around with the EQ of the amp. Also maybe try to add some proximity + smoothing to the cab, sometimes it helps bringing things to life when you are playing at low volumes.

Mine also sounds kinda dull with most high gain presets. Usually Boost + EQ (pre and post) do the magic. Of all the presets I have tried imho only Leon Todd's sound really awesome out of the box. I strongly suggest you to try "LT MK8" on AxeChange. The 3rd scene (Tight C++) is really good, just add some boost and play around with the EQ of the amp. Also maybe try to add some proximity + smoothing to the cab, sometimes it helps bringing things to life when you are playing at low volumes.
Quote from @FractalAudio
"One common theme with new users is the "blanket over the sound" complaint. Often this is due to excessive Master Volume values.

The Master Volume behaves just like the actual amps. However, unlike an actual amp, if you put it on 5.0 it won't cause your cat to hide for several days. This can cause the user to set the value too high as the physical feedback of painfully loud sound is not present.

As you turn up the Master Volume many amps get darker and the bass gets mushy. The key is to find the sweet spot."

So usually dull, or the "blanket over the sound", relates to too much bass and/or too high master amp volume. Some presets have the volume on 10. I find reducing it until I find a sweet spot cleans up the tone. These days, because my setup is a little different, using a tube power amp and guitar cab, I find my sweet spot on the volume, then find a good gain level without turning the gain up so high it muffles everything. I adjust my bass usually lower than the default.

Quote from @FractalAudio
"One common theme with new users is the "blanket over the sound" complaint. Often this is due to excessive Master Volume values.

The Master Volume behaves just like the actual amps. However, unlike an actual amp, if you put it on 5.0 it won't cause your cat to hide for several days. This can cause the user to set the value too high as the physical feedback of painfully loud sound is not present.

As you turn up the Master Volume many amps get darker and the bass gets mushy. The key is to find the sweet spot."

So usually dull, or the "blanket over the sound", relates to too much bass and/or too high master amp volume. Some presets have the volume on 10. I find reducing it until I find a sweet spot cleans up the tone. These days, because my setup is a little different, using a tube power amp and guitar cab, I find my sweet spot on the volume, then find a good gain level without turning the gain up so high it muffles everything. I adjust my bass usually lower than the default.
Actually my heaviest preset has the master on 2. I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it was quite the opposite: lack of bass. I am very much used to the feeling of those ground shaking palm mutes that you get from 4x12 cabs at full blast. Therefore I just boost some low mids after the power amp section, to compensate for the (very) low volume I am allowed to play at the moment. Of course that would not sound ideal live or in a mix.

Actually my heaviest preset has the master on 2. I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it was quite the opposite: lack of bass. I am very much used to the feeling of those ground shaking palm mutes that you get from 4x12 cabs at full blast. Therefore I just boost some low mids after the power amp section, to compensate for the (very) low volume I am allowed to play at the moment. Of course that would not sound ideal live or in a mix.
Low volume is not going to produce the bass you require at high volume. So I can understand what you are saying. But in scenarios where gig volume is required, things can get real muddy fast when the amp "Gain" and amp "Master Volume" is cranked. Not to be confused with "Level" in the amp block.

Thanks for your help.

Definitely doesn't sound great, but also hard to say what's happening from that clip.

Can you get in touch with https://support.fractalaudio.com/ ? You may need to send it in for a repair.

You may have already tried this but...
Watch this video through the same speaker(s) you're using with your Axe III. Download the preset and play it, is there a difference between the video's audio and what you hear when you play with the same preset?

Hello,

So cable has been replaced, device has been reset and formatted .

I'm using in this little playing the following austin buddy's preset:
Brwn Concert* v12
s05 Overdrive

if anyone has it, can you please tell me if the following sounds remotely like it sounds on your axe 3 :

Thanks in advance for all your input !!!

Hello,

So cable has been replaced, device has been reset and formatted .

I'm using in this little playing the following austin buddy's preset:
Brwn Concert* v12
s05 Overdrive

if anyone has it, can you please tell me if the following sounds remotely like it sounds on your axe 3 :

Thanks in advance for all your input !!!

it sounds like the axe isn't getting "all" of your guitar.

have you tried another input yet?

change Input 1 Block to Input 3, then plug your guitar in to Input 3 in the rear. does it sound the same?

you're certain this guitar is working properly and sounds good with other gear?

Back
Top Bottom