AXE 3 sounds weird

it sounds like the axe isn't getting "all" of your guitar.

have you tried another input yet?

change Input 1 Block to Input 3, then plug your guitar in to Input 3 in the rear. does it sound the same?

you're certain this guitar is working properly and sounds good with other gear?
Hi,
1. I'm a novice but I tried 3 guitars - 1 with active pickups and 2 without. no change in sound.

2. Following your direction yielded the following result

Maorgr, you have a thread from March 2019 saying that the Axe-FX III sounds anemic, and another thread from August 2019 saying that most presets sound the same. Did you already sorted out these issues, or is this the same one?

Before the Axe-FX III you used to have the Axe-FX II XL. Did you have the same anemic experience with the II, or has this started to happen when you moved to the III?

I'm struggling to figure out what exactly you're doing here, Maorgr. Have you demonstrated your experience on a factory patch that everyone can agree upon and attempt to reproduce? There are so many factors at play here that I don't think anyone could help you right now. I mean, sure, those recordings don't sound great, but it's pretty easy to get a bad tone no matter what gear you're using, Axe-Fx or otherwise.

Hi,
1. I'm a novice but I tried 3 guitars - 1 with active pickups and 2 without. no change in sound.

2. Following your direction yielded the following result

Post the preset and a DI of your guitar, and let us re-amp it. If it's a hardware, setting or connection issue, then re-amping the DI will produce a different result. Otherwise, it's either your playing, your choice of preset, your guitar, or some combination of them.

Hi everyone,

Nothing's wrong with the sound, now you just need to learn how to play guitar.
I never attested I was ANY kind of a guitar player.
not sure how this comment suppose to be any helpful..thanks for your awesome review of my playing skills though.

I'm struggling to figure out what exactly you're doing here, Maorgr. Have you demonstrated your experience on a factory patch that everyone can agree upon and attempt to reproduce? There are so many factors at play here that I don't think anyone could help you right now. I mean, sure, those recordings don't sound great, but it's pretty easy to get a bad tone no matter what gear you're using, Axe-Fx or otherwise.

I'm struggling too.. I will install the default presets and post another bit.

Maorgr, you have a thread from March 2019 saying that the Axe-FX III sounds anemic, and another thread from August 2019 saying that most presets sound the same. Did you already sorted out these issues, or is this the same one?

Before the Axe-FX III you used to have the Axe-FX II XL. Did you have the same anemic experience with the II, or has this started to happen when you moved to the III?

Same issue....II sounded great.

Post the preset and a DI of your guitar, and let us re-amp it. If it's a hardware, setting or connection issue, then re-amping the DI will produce a different result. Otherwise, it's either your playing, your choice of preset, your guitar, or some combination of them.

how do I post get the DI of my guitar ?

Are you adjusting anything in these presets or playing them entirely stock, without turning any knobs?

Stock, everything stock.

I'm using in this little playing the following austin buddy's preset:
Brwn Concert* v12
s05 Overdrive

if anyone has it, can you please tell me if the following sounds remotely like it sounds on your axe 3 :

Thanks in advance for all your input !!!

Yes, it sounds exactly like that. Because that's what a '60s Fender Concert amp sounds like. All you'll get is edge-of-breakup with that scene. I'm using my goldtop Les Paul with '57s, and I have to bang the **** out of it to get any grit.

What type of tone are you looking for? If Smoke On The Water is your thing (our band plays it and people love it to this day), then get a Strat and start messing with the Marshall amps. And remember, this are the NAKED AMPS presets; not a lot of processing going on, which at first threw me a bit. But I do believe the idea is to find a preset that you like for a starting point, then add other processing to make it your own. So these are pretty raw, for the most part.

Expanding on what Doug said above… If you ask the forum how to get a specific sound/tone (especially helpful if you have a sample, clip, YouTube, etc.), people around here are usually super helpful and replicating a tone for you.

Best of luck. I find this to be the best music equipment I’ve ever purchased. (And I’ve bought a lot.)

Did you solve it?
Actually, I'm in that situation right now.
I wonder how you solved it.

areyouko@gmail.com
The sound you get compared to others, using the same preset, will differ, depending on the guitar, physical amp and speaker cab or FRFR cab.
Most of my guitars are PRS. Some factory presets sound fantastic with no modifications. Others are so bass heavy, I have to switch to single coil, drastically cut the bass and set EQ. However, there isn't one preset I can't get to sound good. With that said, the presets you will really enjoy will more than likely be based on the type of music you play.

@bayaba post a preset... and a recording, and your setup, and a context...
Otherwise, the only advice we can provide to you is: There must be something wrong. Tweak all the buttons, reset the unit, try another guitar, change the cables, change the monitors, install acoustic treatment at your room, open a service ticket at FAS, flush the loo... just try everything until it gets better ;)

Last edited:
Post a preset
@bayaba post a preset... and a recording, and your setup, and a context...
Otherwise, the only advice we can provide to you is: There must be something wrong. Tweak all the buttons, reset the unit, try another guitar, change the cables, change the monitors, install acoustic treatment at your room, open a service ticket at FAS, flush the loo... just try everything until it gets better ;)
Preset name is ' LIMELIGHT M@ ' I think.. mayby preset number 108 or 109

Preset name is ' LIMELIGHT M@ ' I think.. mayby preset number 108 or 109

LIMELIGHT M@ preset is meant to sound as weird as this:

Does it sound too different to that when you play it?

I've tried it with several guitars (Suhr Modern Satin, Chapman ML-1 Pro, Ibanez RG, Strat with Fat'50), and there is not much difference from that sound.

I even made a recording, with the Chapman:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-cygnus-limelight-m-preset-appreciation-thread.173315/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom