AXE 3 sounds weird

maorgr

Inspired
Hi,

I'm too novice and really not much of a guitar player to be able to describe this articulacy, but in my eyes - my axe sounds really processed,flat and hollow.
Can you please help me find whats wrong with it ?

I'm using a preset called ENGL Savage v12
I used both a gibson SG and an ESP KH-2.

Thank you so much for your time.

Any chance you’re using two IRs together that are out of phase with each other? I’ve done this before accidentally. And only after looking at the Align tab inside the cab block, could I see they were almost 180-degrees out of phase, and sounded weak and hollow.

Is your guitar volume all the way up?
the guitar knob or the instrument input on the axe fx ?

Any chance you’re using two IRs together that are out of phase with each other? I’ve done this before accidentally. And only after looking at the Align tab inside the cab block, could I see they were almost 180-degrees out of phase, and sounded weak and hollow.

This happens on pretty much every preset I have.

Are you playing at “ gig volume”? It could make a difference. My presets sound exactly how I want them too when at the volume of a show but if I turn down to “bedroom volume” there are differences (which I fully expect).

if you’ve designed the preset and the intent is to not play in a live setting, you may need to tweak it to sound how you want at the lower volume. Also be aware though that if you were to take that same preset designed for lower volume into a gig environment,it also may sounds different than you expect. I think this is the whole Fletcher-Munson thing.

another test you could do would be to go to a blank preset and just connect a input block and an output block and play your guitar. It’ll be just your guitar, but if the sound is still hollow, you may need to consider looking at your guitar our speakers. If it sounds ok to you, add a amp and cab block and assess the situation again.

hope this helps a little, good luck!

Try another preset? Maybe that one just sounds flat, hollow, and processed. How many have you tried? Are you saying that every preset sounds that way? Have you tried the stock presets that come with the unit? Also, playing experience can be a big factor with regard to tone. You're welcome to post the preset here so we can try it.

Last edited:
Would really help if you would post the preset. Then we can see the different settings and offer suggestions or tweak the preset for you.
Regular instrument cable from guitar to Axe.

Try a different preset, alter an existing preset, or create a new one that sounds how you like. The Axe FXIII can pretty much sound like anything you want it to.

Did you accidentally turn off global amp or cab modeling?
no it's on

Try a different preset, alter an existing preset, or create a new one that sounds how you like. The Axe FXIII can pretty much sound like anything you want it to.

I did - they all sound lifeless, even austin buddy's presets.

Is your AXE FX III plugged into just one monitor, or two?

one monitor.. I tried using my DT990 but it still sounds awful - sounds metalic and utterly muffled

Just curious, have you tweaked the preset at all, or is it the stock settings? 85% of the stock presets don’t really jive with me and require some tweaking. Sounds like the Drive is turned down and all the EQ settings are in the middle.

all the EQ settings on all presets are in the middle position.
not sure I understand what " Drive is turned down" means.

Back
Top Bottom