AX8 + Yamaha AG06

Nimbas

Inspired
Having a little trouble getting this dialed in - could anyone who has this type setup take a picture and show me how you have knobs set? I'm getting white noise and strange high pitch sounds when I enable a track to record.

Normally if my AX8 is direct to monitors sounds fine - so either I don't have this Yamaha AG06 setup right or it's a bad unit.

Also curious what your AX8 output is set to and what channel you are coming in. Thanks in advance.

Do the strange sounds go away when you unplug the USB cable from the AX8? I get similar sounds heard via my audio interface but only when the AX8 or Axe is connected via USB. In my case it's a ground loop issue with the USB bus in my 2010 iMac.

To get the best signal to noise ratio, run the AX8 Output 1 knob as high as the mixer can handle, and enable the pad and/or use low gain settings on the mixer. Fractal gear is line level, and XLR inputs on mixers are typically expecting mic level signal. Turning down the main Output level attenuates the signal from unity.

Following this thread, because I have the same set up, even though I haven't recorded direct through it with my AX8 or mic yet. I do have another interface, thankfully.

I spoke with Chris from AxeFxTutorials and he suggested I start this thread to help others. He said he wasn't using the AG06 much anymore but Yek does. Maybe he'll chime in at some point.

My boss just bought a Mackie ProFXv2 - it has USB interface too. Looks pretty nice for almost the same money. If I can't get this AG06 working very well to my liking I might try that one.

Do the strange sounds go away when you unplug the USB cable from the AX8? I get similar sounds heard via my audio interface but only when the AX8 or Axe is connected via USB. In my case it's a ground loop issue with the USB bus in my 2010 iMac.

To get the best signal to noise ratio, run the AX8 Output 1 knob as high as the mixer can handle, and enable the pad and/or use low gain settings on the mixer. Fractal gear is line level, and XLR inputs on mixers are typically expecting mic level signal. Turning down the main Output level attenuates the signal from unity.

Thanks for the advise - I am new to mixing so no idea how this stuff should run in. I'll try what you are suggesting.

The dog whistle type sound happens when I open a new recording in like quicktime say for example, and choose the AG06 as the input source. It seems to be linked to the volume of the channel in question - I can turn it down and it goes away but then I can't hear the signal as desired either.

Even when I'm just using the mixer for playback though the overall volume seems weak compared to just going direct to the monitors. I am definately going to mess with the pads and inputs like you are saying though.

I think I got it guys. Phillipacamaniac was right on the money.

I'll start with the other gear - I'm using Yamaha HS7 monitors with the volume at noon (+4). Now with the AX8 plugged right into these with it's volume at noon (30%) everything is plenty loud. That is probably what threw me off a little when you change that setup and put a mixer in the middle.

When you bring the mixer into play turn the AX8 main output to 100%. Yep - would be crazy loud direct but it works out here for a low signal to noise ratio. Next, I am going into the AG06 channels 3/4 in stereo. Push the gain button in to set it to low. Finally set the volume for that channel to 3 o'clock (there's a darker dot in that position and the manual says that's where it's supposed to be for good strong signal).

After that take a look at your sig and peak meters. You should be lighting green (with normal strumming) and peak only on hardest strums. If you've got that you are getting a clear strong signal and you are good to go, then ease up your monitor volume until it is where you like it. For me that was about 1 o'clock.

If you are peaking too much, don't touch the mixer settings but rather bring down the volume internally in the AX8 (again not the output, leave that at 100%). Use the amp blocks mixer volume.

I feel now I can look directly at the mixer and not even need to look at the AX8 vu meter when adjusting volume. With all this in sync.

Anywho I'm no pro but everything seems great now. Hope this helps you. I may not be 100% right on all this but seems good.

Now if I could just figure out how to master in garageband.

Last edited:
Mastering in Garageband? Only really possible with plugins (including the necessary meters).

I'm trying to make Reaper work, but I think plugins will still help. Then again, http://reaperblog.net/2016/04/the-reaper-blog-q-a-12/.

Also going to give Audacity a go. We'll see. I was spoiled with Samplitude many years ago. Made mastering easy.

And, thanks for the rest of that! I can run in to the stereo inputs and save the mic inputs, which is just perfect.

[Edit: Audacity compared to Reaper is no contest. I just need to learn to use Reaper better]

Last edited:

I'll start with the other gear - I'm using Yamaha HS7 monitors with the volume at noon (+4). Now with the AX8 plugged right into these with it's volume at noon (30%) everything is plenty loud. That is probably what threw me off a little when you change that setup and put a mixer in the middle.

When you bring the mixer into play turn the AX8 main output to 100%. Yep - would be crazy loud direct but it works out here for a low signal to noise ratio. Next, I am going into the AG06 channels 3/4 in stereo. Push the gain button in to set it to low. Finally set the volume for that channel to 3 o'clock (there's a darker dot in that position and the manual says that's where it's supposed to be for good strong signal).

After that take a look at your sig and peak meters. You should be lighting green (with normal strumming) and peak only on hardest strums. If you've got that you are getting a clear strong signal and you are good to go, then ease up your monitor volume until it is where you like it. For me that was about 1 o'clock.

If you are peaking too much, don't touch the mixer settings but rather bring down the volume internally in the AX8 (again not the output, leave that at 100%). Use the amp blocks mixer volume.

I feel now I can look directly at the mixer and not even need to look at the AX8 vu meter when adjusting volume. With all this in sync.

Anywho I'm no pro but everything seems great now. Hope this helps you. I may not be 100% right on all this but seems good.

Awesome, glad you got it working!

Mastering in Garageband? Only really possible with plugins (including the necessary meters).

I'm trying to make Reaper work, but I think plugins will still help. ]

Melda Productions has a free plugin suite that has all the meters you need. It also has the necessary mastering plugins, as does Reaper.

Personally, I use TL-s pocket limiter or Limited-Z, when I want it simple. I use Limiter no 6, when I want total control (it is difficult to use with good results, but worth it, when you get it.) They are all VST and all free.

Edit: I also recommend the free plugins from Tokyo Dawn Records

For recording, a different interface is proving to be much better. And it's just a little a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD.

But, for regular running of my Axe FX into the computer and studio monitors, the AG06 is great.

Can you record with AG yet ?

Back
Top Bottom