AX8 vs Helix

Status
Not open for further replies.
If having the sound and feel of a cab mic'd in the other room is all someone is going for, then I would say the Helix is a good match for any player.

Ive been a fractal user from the start and currently have an XL+. Ive also had a kemper and Helix twice. I bought Helix when it was first released and had it for 2 months before selling it. I then bought it again a couple months back figuring a few FW updates had passed and it should be better, It wasn't. For someone used to how good Fractal models sound and feel, the Helix just immediately felt off to me. The only thing I liked about Helix was the scribble strips and I didn't really need the oversized color display as I use the computer editor. If you're new to modeling I can see how the Helix would be very appealing and sound good enough but it just didn't cut it for me and subsequently sold the second one a few months after getting it.

$300 more for the purty lights and the volume pedal!

~ss
The Lt can be had for under a grand, only missing the purty lights.

The first modeler I had was an rp something or other, pretty old. I used it to practice and get songs together. Headphones out, I put a lot of time together with it. It served its purpose admirably for what I needed it for.
A little later, I was taking lessons. The teacher liked to change up tuning a lot, I think he wanted a break to get coffee. I bought a variax and an hd500. Open G, Stones? no prob. Let's go! That machine was a piece of work, pretty dependable too. I put a lot of time into it, and could get pretty decent tones out of it. The guitar and the effort to get the tones we're it's downfall. Too much editing, not enough playing. And the guitar and I didn't play well together, and I've played a lot of crap in my time. Just getting older, and I won't fight guitars anymore.
I used to play a lot more,I had a pretty extensive broken arm right around 2000, basically my left arm snapped clean back. I never thought I would play again. Fretting hand has good days and bad, my pinky, I'm about to give up on it all together. I had a pretty awesome collection at the time. Fender, Vox, Marshall, Gibson. I've had, or played pretty much 50 to 75 percent of the amps on the AX8. Some of the newer stuff, not so much. But, if I ever see a Morgan ac20, it's getting a workout.
So, getting back to the subject. I'm around a lot of other guitar players. We all have different wants and needs. Some things that are deal breakers to them I scratch my head at. They probably do the same to me. I just want a great amp and a great guitar, that takes care of my needs. My back says I can't carry around half stacks anymore, or SVT's. This box, and a powered monitor is all I need.
Some people have to have other things. Things that the AX8 can't do. Things that the Helix can do. And, it can do a lot of spectacular things! They were both made with different priorities and goals. And they are both a success. This is truly a great time to be a guitar player. I picked the AX8, I would have probably been happy with a Helix. But, it's been over a year. when I turn it on, it delivers the goods.

when I turn "The AX8" on, it delivers the goods.

WINNER, WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.... The AX8 does not disappoint that's for sure!!!

yeah, i've seen but not played the helix...does anyone think it sounds superior to the ax8 in any respect?

Only thing I can see that is better would be the interface. The 4 programmable fx returns and the headphone jack are nice and I'm sure it has some cool sounds but I can't imagine the Helix being superior to the AX8 in any aspect.

~ss

That sounds pretty good... and like I said before the Helix has a few nice sounds. Overall, the AX8 does it for me on everything!

~ss

That and no "Squirrels" in the AX8 lol...

I didn't hear "squirrels" in that video so I have to defer. I know Fractal dealt with them a few FW's ago which is nice for sure. I'm sure any subtleties in the Helix will be dealt with at some point as well, still early in its lifespan.

I didn't hear "squirrels" in that video so I have to defer. I know Fractal dealt with them a few FW's ago which is nice for sure. I'm sure any subtleties in the Helix will be dealt with at some point as well, still early in its lifespan.
You wouldn't hear the "squirrels" (digital artifacts in line6 products for those that don't know) in a live setting. You'd think line 6 would have that figured out by now with all of the previous products. Sorry I'm just not a fan, I really tried to like them but after the m5, m9 hd500, 500x and Amplifer??? I was tired of the disappoint!!!

The AX8 on the other hand has blown me away in every way right from the beginning! I have a friend who loves his Helix and swears by it so at the end of the day that's what matters - what works for you!

~ss

I use an AX8 and think it's great but the Helix sounds pretty damn good here.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1st-show-w-the-helix-lemon-song-cover.1877943/

Now that was freaking killer! For a song they just learned!!! holy crap and the singer, what a great Plant attempt, for the recording I would have put a little room on the vocal track and he could work on his moves a little but for a live gig covering a zep tune pfft... they killed it!

Now that was freaking killer! For a song they just learned!!! holy crap and the singer, what a great Plant attempt, for the recording I would have put a little room on the vocal track and he could work on his moves a little but for a live gig covering a zep tune pfft... they killed it!

That's what I thought. My AX8 is firmly planted on my pedalboard, and I'm no L6 fanboy, but the guitar tone was pretty darn good. The point of posting it was to show there's more than one way to skin a cat. Rock on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom