AX8 V3.51 Released

Ok we're on the rhetorical side ;)
Mostly. My point, way back in the beginning, was that any steps taken to reproduce one device's preset in another device are potential points where errors can be introduced. At that point, it's no longer safe to assume they're the same without verifying.

Mostly. My point, way back in the beginning, was that any steps taken to reproduce one device's preset in another device are potential points where errors can be introduced. At that point, it's no longer safe to assume they're the same without verifying.
Yes but you must understand 99.9% of the preset's data is just purely copied from axefx to ax8 with no modification...

Remember, too, that there's no indication that FracTool was involved in this situation, leaving room for human error. And we know how easily that can creep in. Human error is the root cause of at least half of the weird equipment behavior that's reported on the forum.

Remember, too, that there's no indication that FracTool was involved in this situation, leaving room for human error. And we know how easily that can creep in. Human error is the root cause of at least half of the weird equipment behavior that's reported on the forum.
wise words ;)

Two CLR'S and I was just trying the same preset on both units. I dont think I tried another preset. I'm away now so I'll have to try again tomorrow. I have a G90 wireless on the Axe Fxii and a G50 that I just got today for my AX8. I was just reading that the wireless might have 4ms latency.
I testet g10 and g30. Both has similar latency: ca. 2,5 ms. Measured AX8 latency (empty patch, shunt only) is additional 1,5 ms, 2,5 ms some times more. In summary it is ca. 4 to 8 ms.

So... lets talk about latency.
It exist. Pipe player in big church deal with 100 ms delay. So what is only 2,5 or 5 ms...

since many will look here now instead of the 3.50 thread, i'm reposting this information:

If you missed my Live Stream showing the new features of FW 3.50 for the AX8, I made a video that summarizes the major changes including the new "Metallica" USA MKII C++ amp model, Control Switch Blocks, Momentary switches and Bank Limit. Be sure to read the Release Notes for other important changes from this and previous FW updates, especially if you are skipping over releases!

If you enjoy this type of video and summary, please consider sending a donation/tip to my StreamJar; it helps me dedicate time to Fractal Products to create these videos. Thanks! https://streamjar.tv/tip/axefxtutorials

Download the presets you see here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2tzq0sdvt9nk7u/AX8 ML Metallica IIC++.syx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb52y787lq283nn/Wah = Switch 1.syx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp9x9dkioz6kiqp/Wham = Switch 1.syx?dl=0

0:17 - "Metallica" USA MKII C++ amp model
3:27 - Control Switch Blocks
15:42 - Momentary switches
26:40 - Using Control Switches and Momentary Options together
32:54 - Bank Limit

Great work Chris!! Tip sent.

Would you consider posting the clean patch where you show the drive in and out on the momentary latch? Looked like a great "go to" patch for lots of tunes.

I am having an issue when i set F3 to toggle scene 1/2, it does not light up when toggled like the rest of the switches.... anyone else?

I am having an issue when i set F3 to toggle scene 1/2, it does not light up when toggled like the rest of the switches.... anyone else?
That's normal behavior, the Function switches indicate when the unit is in an alternate mode. As the Scene 1/2 Toggle is an instant function, and does not change the mode of the AX8, the light does not illuminate. The SCENE LED's are used to indicate which scene you are on.

The latency is the same as the Axe-Fx II.
I think its something else jacking with my brain. I hear a bit more string thunk or attack when picking on the high strings down around the 15 to 22 fret area and I don't have that much on my AXE FXII. The difference in the two are globally 500hz is lowered 3db on my AXE FXII and not on the AX8, and I use Dephase on my AXE FXII but I don't know if that would make things much different. The extra thunky and beefy sound is probably flubbing my picking when shredding at high speeds. I hope you know I am not complaining and I love this company and gear, just trying to figure things out and I'm so picky that I think some of it is in my head. Thank you Cliff Chase master!!!

Great work Chris!! Tip sent.

Would you consider posting the clean patch where you show the drive in and out on the momentary latch? Looked like a great "go to" patch for lots of tunes.
thanks! much appreciated. i have the preset available in this Bank of Clean to Lead. it's free here: https://axefxtutorials.selz.com/item/56c776666edca00b24f6d1f3

the preset here doesn't have the momentary switch function, but you can add that easily.

I think its something else jacking with my brain. I hear a bit more string thunk or attack when picking on the high strings down around the 15 to 22 fret area and I don't have that much on my AXE FXII. The difference in the two are globally 500hz is lowered 3db on my AXE FXII and not on the AX8, and I use Dephase on my AXE FXII but I don't know if that would make things much different. The extra thunky and beefy sound is probably flubbing my picking when shredding at high speeds. I hope you know I am not complaining and I love this company and gear, just trying to figure things out and I'm so picky that I think some of it is in my head. Thank you Cliff Chase master!!!

I don't notice latency between AxeFXII or AX8. Only thing I find that affects my fast picking runs or shredding kind between units is purely volume. If you're porting presets between units make sure that you adjust the levels because the ratio between units is different. If you purely port a preset over and copy settings your volumes may be different than you're used to and the interaction between your monitoring device (Wedge, cab, studio monitors etc.) can affect the way a guitar or notes respond. Also, proximity to your monitoring device will DEFINITELY affect you (mentally, acoustically or otherwise) in terms of technique.

For example, try doing your standard 3-note-per-string picking run a la Paul Gilbert/Petrucci/Whoever with your cab/wedge cranked. Then do it at whisper volume, then do it with headphones or in-ears. Even if you can do it at a specific tempo, it will "feel" different to you. That's not latency. That's just the way your ears are responding to your hands, to your sound and other stimuli.

I always find it easier to rip fast guitar solos my amp is loud, and I'm just using earplugs. IEM with the same patches make the attack so immediate in my eardrum that I always have to adjust (or pull one out if I'm really going for it). Etc.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't notice latency between AxeFXII or AX8. Only thing I find that affects my fast picking runs or shredding kind between units is purely volume. If you're porting presets between units make sure that you adjust the levels because the ratio between units is different. If you purely port a preset over and copy settings your volumes may be different than you're used to and the interaction between your monitoring device (Wedge, cab, studio monitors etc.) can affect the way a guitar or notes respond. Also, proximity to your monitoring device will DEFINITELY affect you (mentally, acoustically or otherwise) in terms of technique.

For example, try doing your standard 3-note-per-string picking run a la Paul Gilbert/Petrucci/Whoever with your cab/wedge cranked. Then do it at whisper volume, then do it with headphones or in-ears. Even if you can do it at a specific tempo, it will "feel" different to you. That's not latency. That's just the way your ears are responding to your hands, to your sound and other stimuli.

I always find it easier to rip fast guitar solos my amp is loud, and I'm just using earplugs. IEM with the same patches make the attack so immediate in my eardrum that I always have to adjust (or pull one out if I'm really going for it). Etc.

Your mileage may vary.
Thanks, that makes sense. I've pretty much ruled out the latency. I just can't quite get my fast picking to flow as easy, but it's not a big difference so maybe its something that you were talking about. Paul Gilbert's a monster. That's the kind of picking a was referring to.

Thanks, that makes sense. I've pretty much ruled out the latency. I just can't quite get my fast picking to flow as easy, but it's not a big difference so maybe its something that you were talking about. Paul Gilbert's a monster. That's the kind of picking a was referring to.

Yeah he's fantastic. I had the fortune of taking a handful of lessons from him during my days at GIT (they did a lottery for students to take lessons from him every time he was in town and teaching at the school). He's a saint, scholar and sweetheart. I'm confident in your case it's a mental thing.

I just got my #1 refretted and got it back earlier this week., and I feel slower on that guitar now than before even though the frets were in such bad shape (Fretted out everywhere). That guitar, in essence is easier to play, but somehow I'm finding it more challenging to get my speed back up on it. Same deal as you, I'm overcoming a mental roadblock/hurdle. Not something physical.

I wouldn't stress. It'll come back. :)

I just got my #1 refretted and got it back earlier this week., and I feel slower on that guitar now than before even though the frets were in such bad shape (Fretted out everywhere). That guitar, in essence is easier to play, but somehow I'm finding it more challenging to get my speed back up on it. Same deal as you, I'm overcoming a mental roadblock/hurdle. Not something physical.
That, and the sudden lack of grooves cutting your fret height in half. :)

Great update with nice additions to the switches functionality, thanks!
But while you're on this can I ask another addition for the next firmware that, at least for the way I program my presets, would be very useful?
I'd like to have scene incr/decr as an option for the 1-8 or F switches, because I usually just go forward with scenes while I play and that's the way I change those in the AFX with just one switch involved. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom