AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

What will really get all of us pissed is if FAS raises the price because of this dumb thread.

You really think this thread is going to have any impact on the price? I don't.

I also don't think the thread is dumb, though some responses may be.

Last edited:
It seems the smartest thing for the release is just put it out there for sale without all the debacle mystery of the FX8 and let buyers start the process. If it gets released before the now infamous "H", then Fractal will end up reaping more sales than expected. After all, business is about making money with supply and demand. Let the sales commence!!!!

Per L6, that H thingy will likely be in some customers' hands next week.

I don't think the AX8 will be as nice for the 4cm method as the FX8. I think the AX8 is geared toward FRFR users and FX8 is geared toward amp users. Not so much competing products but complimentary products.

Maybe not as nice and no relays, but if it can do everything?

I'm really curious about this too, as one of the first FX8 buyers. Cliff never mentioned anything about "aggressive pricing" regarding FX8 prior to it's launch. He did say that (or similar) about AX8.

Also, the FX8 was originally going to be built 100% in China, but at the last minute due to some kind of quality issues it was finished in the USA. Not sure of details, but as I recall the FX8 price wasn't announced til after that all happened.

Now I don't think we know where the AX8 is made, do we? If they sorted out the quality issues in China and it was made there it could be cheaper than we expect.

I believe CC said the AX8 will be made in the US.

I don't know, but I would think the fx8 is (more) for playing thru an amp, right? ax8 , with preamps, why would you want to run preamps thru an pre amp. I think if someone buys the fx8 it's because they like their amp and the sound.

we still have "no real idea" of a direct comparison between the 2--- I thought we were just speculating here?

I'm talking about effects only in 4cm like some do with the AXE. Though you might want to run preamp only into the power amp of a tube amp.

Maybe not as nice and no relays, but if it can do everything?
I don't think it's going to have the processor power to do everything the FX8 can do AND do amp and cab modeling. I haven't seen the spec sheet as far as what processor it will have, and how much memory yet, but I believe that, just like the Axe-FX II, it was designed first for the FRFR and direct recording crowd, and the FX8 was built for use with amps. Unless the processor is significantly higher (and/or a dual processor unit) then there's no way you can get those amp and cab emulation without sacrificing something somewhere.

Bottom line... we can all sit around speculating on the specs and price, or we can wait patiently for when that information becomes available. And that will be...

wait for it...

Soon!

You really think this thread is going to have any impact on the price? I don't.

I also don't think the thread is dumb, though some responses may be.

You have a pre-meditated plan to be upset over a price?

That in the end would only benefit other guitar players and get FAS's products into the hands of people that normally couldn't afford them.

If they sell millions and make a profit at $999 it's better for everyone - FAS will have more R&D money and we will have more options.

relax people, the AX8 is going to the amp show. Specs will be common knowledge soon. I'm sure it will fill its own niche in the market place. I can't imagine fractal coming out with the fx8, and then within a year releasing another product that makes it obsolete.

I'm just going to mount buttons to the top of my Mark II so I can stomp all over it while melting faces

I don't think it's going to have the processor power to do everything the FX8 can do AND do amp and cab modeling. I haven't seen the spec sheet as far as what processor it will have, and how much memory yet, but I believe that, just like the Axe-FX II, it was designed first for the FRFR and direct recording crowd, and the FX8 was built for use with amps. Unless the processor is significantly higher (and/or a dual processor unit) then there's no way you can get those amp and cab emulation without sacrificing something somewhere.

Bottom line... we can all sit around speculating on the specs and price, or we can wait patiently for when that information becomes available. And that will be...

wait for it...

Soon!

I thought it was common knowledge here that the AX8 will have two of the Sharc processors with one dedicated to amp/cab and the other dedicated to effects.

I thought it was common knowledge here that the AX8 will have two of the Sharc processors with one dedicated to amp/cab and the other dedicated to effects.

It is common knowledge. Cliff has talked about it several times here and on TGP.

can't compare the price of FX8 v AX8, different user base. besides, you have the choice. I was going to buy an FX8 but opted to wait for the AX8 as it will suit my needs better. As for the price, as long as it's close to or the same, sales should crush Helx. That other machine looks sexy but it's not going to sound anywhere near as good. The bass was muddy and undefined in every demo I checked out. Release of FW Quantum coincidence? I think not. Good strategy.

Oh, and as for the processors in the AX8, I seem to recall Cliff saying it will have 2 but not the same as the AxeFX

Being upset with the cost of luxury items is indeed a FWP issue. It's also a somewhat frivolous one, when there are sooooo many things more important to be worried about in this wacky ass world of ours.

Pricing will be what it's going to be- trust me, it's already been set and has been for a long time. You don't go into manufacturing without having a solid financial plan to at least try and make money, and that is completely based on your costs. But in the spirit of playing the game, let's look at how upset (or not) people may possibly be.

Cost of the Axe II- $2500. Cost of the MFC- $750. So right there we're looking at $3250.

The AX8 is a stripped down version of BOTH the Axe II & the MFC. Aggressive pricing to me would be close to half, so my guess on the AX8 is $1699.

Cost of the Sharcs is half (?) of the Tigers, R&D cost is less (maybe not half, but close) because a lot of what's under the hood on the AX8 is based on the Axe, the chassis is basically the same as the FX8 so tooling costs are split, yada yada yada.

Does $1699 get yer panties in a bunch? Make you do the happy dance? Do I win a Stan Lee "No-Prize" if I'm right on my pricing guess? Is all this speculation just a waste of time? Does everything REALLY taste like chicken? Is this reality or am I stuck in the Matrix?

Tune in tomorrow (or "soon"), same Bat time, same Bat channel, to see how "soon" is now and learn your wallets grizzly fate...

Last edited:
If the FX8 and AX8 and both pretty much the same price. Why would someone purchase the FX8?

Because FX8 is uniquely optimized for use with an amp and I will make a guess that AX8 will not have the same optimization in order to separate the products. Also, many guitarists actually still use amps and want nothing to do with modeling, even as a backup.

Where did you read that? Was FAS? I haven't read that anywhere-I'd like to read this if you can point me to the fractal post about this. Also, I would love it if this were factual and I am not saying it is or isn't---.

This was somewhere in the initial thread that Fractal posted. AX8 will have two of the processors that are in FX8.

Back
Top Bottom