AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

I'm not getting worked up but I'm in the position where my invite to buy an fx8 should arrive in the next week or so. If the ax8 is a similar price I'll get that instead, if the details about pricing aren't released I might have to go back down the queue for an fx8 while waiting or get the fx8 and risk regretting it.

Hopefully some info will appear soon - I might add that I'm as interested in a release date in europe as much as the price.

It's 2 different products with different capabilities! IIRC the FX8 has the effects capability of the AxFx ,no amp modeling! For those wanting effects only for their real amps! AX8 is a scaled down version of AxFx Less power, less effect capability , amp modeling , for those not necessarily needing all the power of the AxFx, but the simplicity and ease of use of a floor unit! Man folks can create a hole to fall in !!! I wouldn't expect much difference in price for the AX8 than FX8 , if anything maybe less!

Bottom line is it will be what it is ! Cliff will make it as affordable as possible as with everything he produces ! why get all worked up over it????

Lots of multiple exclamation points and question marks there. I think you're the one who got worked up over this. :)

Anyway, your post makes no sense to me. Why are you comparing the AXE-FX to the FX8? Totally different products and price points etc.... You barely mention the AX8 and then state that you expect it to be cheaper than the FX8? WHY? It's not amp modeling only which is what you seem to think from what you wrote, unless I really don't understand what you're trying to say. The AX8 is both amp modeling AND effects modeling. It has two of the DSPs found in the FX8 with one used for effects and one used for amp/cab/ir. If it has the same effects as the FX8 PLUS amp modeling, why would it be cheaper? Perhaps you don't realize that the FX8 is also limited and does not contain all of the effects included in the AxeFX. As written, I'm sorry but I don't understand your post at all.

If there's enough product differentiation so that the AX8 can't really do what the FX8 does with a "real" amp, we don't know that yet. I addressed this possibility in my original post.

I´d say "agressive" means, that people who would normaly choose the Helix or the Kemper plus FC would go for the AX8, which means it´ll be between 1400-1800.
As far as I understood the FX Section of the AX8 is less sophisticated than the FX8 so there´s no problem in selling them for more or less equal prices - though it would be very generous to sell it for under 1400,- :)

What makes you think the effects section of the AX8 is less sophisticated than the FX8? My impression is that they are the same with each unit having the same effects and DSP to handle the effects. If there's something I missed that says otherwise, I'd like to be educated. Thanks!

I was on the list for FX8. When I heard about AX8, I lost interest in FX8. Pretty sure anyone that bought the FX8 already knew about AX8. So why get upset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought pre-Helix. Many are speculating that the price of the Helix will bring down the price of the AX8. Maybe, maybe not. Rightly or wrongly when I (and others apparently) bought the FX8, I assumed that there would be a decent price differential. It's all the price speculation about the AX8 costing the same as the FX8, or very close to it, that lead me to post my original question. That would not be something I expected when I bought the FX8. Cliff could end it all with a price announcement.....

What makes you think the effects section of the AX8 is less sophisticated than the FX8? My impression is that they are the same with each unit having the same effects and DSP to handle the effects. If there's something I missed that says otherwise, I'd like to be educated. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. There has been so much confusion between them, what's different, etc....

There has been no real info released, other than a few vague posts here and there. Being that the AX8 is very close to being released (so we are lead to believe, we don't even know this for sure), it's a little frustrating that there are no concrete specs or price on this unit yet.

Last edited:
It is obvious that fx in fx8 and ax8 are different because fx8 has two dsp's for fx while ax8 has 1 for dsp and one for amp sims.
To me it seems that all price possibilities are realistic.

It is obvious that fx in fx8 and ax8 are different because fx8 has two dsp's for fx while ax8 has 1 for dsp and one for amp sims.
To me it seems that all price possibilities are realistic.

Wow Nice first post. Unfortunately, totally wrong. The FX8 has a single DSP while the AX8 has two. SMH. If the FX8 has two DSPs for effects only and most of us are hitting CPU limits often, then I can't see how the AX8 would work at all.

"They are very cool. They're not an Axe-Fx but they're close. Same amp and cab modeling. Stripped down effects section and smaller grid (4x8 vs 4x12)." Cliff
more Info here: AX8: amp modeling and multi-fx pedalboard - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Wow Nice first post. Unfortunately, totally wrong. The FX8 has a single DSP while the AX8 has two. SMH. If the FX8 has two DSPs for effects only and most of us are hitting CPU limits often, then I can't see how the AX8 would work at all.

Ccc, silly me!

Cliff later said they are going with the same 12x4 grid on the AX8 as the AxeFX. Given this fact, and the fact that the AX8 has two of the processors that are in the FX8, it's likely that the AX8 will have the same effects as the FX8. If not, why bother to increase the grid?

The amp show is next weekend. At the latest, details will be released next weekend. Maybe sooner!

I'm not a axe user and I'm not familiar with related technicalities. I've joined the forum some time ago because I think there's a lot to learn here.
The form factor is what kept me away from axe - I don't use rack units. But ax8 looks exactly like what I need. I hope it will under 1500. I think a lot of us do. I think this a price that will draw a lots of customers.

I bought pre-Helix. Many are speculating that the price of the Helix will bring down the price of the AX8. Maybe, maybe not. Rightly or wrongly when I (and others apparently) bought the FX8, I assumed that there would be a decent price differential. It's all the price speculation about the AX8 costing the same as the FX8, or very close to it, that lead me to post my original question. That would not be something I expected when I bought the FX8. Cliff could end it all with a price announcement.....

I get it but the price FAS was planning before Helix and the price they actually put on AX8 are likely not the same.

They may very well be waiting for initial reports on Helix. In fact if I was FAS I'd ship AX8 at $1495 with less amps and cabs. Later sell add ons to get the ASP and attachment rate up.

The fact that amp show is soon and no price has been announced would have me guessing that there may be a group of people less than happy with the pricing.

Even if it was the same price as an Axe FX, it would be worth it because you're also getting the controller built in. But, I'm fairly certain it will be less than that. $1799 would be a great price, IMO.

Lots of multiple exclamation points and question marks there. I think you're the one who got worked up over this. :)

Anyway, your post makes no sense to me. Why are you comparing the AXE-FX to the FX8? Totally different products and price points etc.... You barely mention the AX8 and then state that you expect it to be cheaper than the FX8? WHY? It's not amp modeling only which is what you seem to think from what you wrote, unless I really don't understand what you're trying to say. The AX8 is both amp modeling AND effects modeling. It has two of the DSPs found in the FX8 with one used for effects and one used for amp/cab/ir. If it has the same effects as the FX8 PLUS amp modeling, why would it be cheaper? Perhaps you don't realize that the FX8 is also limited and does not contain all of the effects included in the AxeFX. As written, I'm sorry but I don't understand your post at all.

If there's enough product differentiation so that the AX8 can't really do what the FX8 does with a "real" amp, we don't know that yet. I addressed this possibility in my original post.

No worries man, not worked up at all :) Doesn't sound like you understood it. Most of this has been answered in previous threads. The OP was about being upset over a particular price point. There's nothing to get upset over! They are different products, FX8 has no amp modeling and more effects capability than the AX8 will, targeting different needs I don't expect it to be less, just wouldn't surprise me! I would expect it to be in the same price bracket.

They may very well be waiting for initial reports on Helix. In fact if I was FAS I'd ship AX8 at $1495 with less amps and cabs. Later sell add ons to get the ASP and attachment rate up.

I don't know why people think selling a stripped down version with add-on packs is a good thing. It makes it more work as you now have to manage the protection of the add-on packs so people can't share it around.

I don't know why people think selling a stripped down version with add-on packs is a good thing. It makes it more work as you now have to manage the protection of the add-on packs so people can't share it around.

True, but if that is a way to get to same price point as Helix and still be a bit more than FX8 while being "stripped down", go for it.

No worries man, not worked up at all :) Doesn't sound like you understood it. Most of this has been answered in previous threads. The OP was about being upset over a particular price point. There's nothing to get upset over! They are different products, FX8 has no amp modeling and more effects capability than the AX8 will, targeting different needs I don't expect it to be less, just wouldn't surprise me! I would expect it to be in the same price bracket.

Don't remember seeing a post saying AX8 effects were less than FX8. In fact with same dsp dedicated to FX, I would guess no.

Cliff later said they are going with the same 12x4 grid on the AX8 as the AxeFX. Given this fact, and the fact that the AX8 has two of the processors that are in the FX8, it's likely that the AX8 will have the same effects as the FX8. If not, why bother to increase the grid?

I believe the main reason was that the original grid size became too restricting very quickly. By the time you added in an AMP + CAB block, you had already eaten two slots, which meant only a handful left for effect routing etc; they just decided to make it the same as the Axe Fx so people wouldn't feel restricted.

I had always thought of the AX8 as a stripped down version of the Axe Fx, so I'm sure the effects suit will be more or less the same.

Back
Top Bottom