AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

Since the last post in this thread, the AX8 waitlist has opened and I got myself on fairly early (I think).

I'm planning to directly compare AX8 to FX8 in all respects that concern use with real amps. I'll test with 4cm and straight in front and try to measure relative audio quality, noisefloor, i/o levels, etc, between the two boxes. If not 'measure' I'll at least record some clips. Maybe make a video or something to demo the results.

In the end I'll keep the winning box and sell the loser. In the event of a tie I'll sell the FX8 and take my lumps... But then I'll feel better when I get to sell my Axe-FX II and still have amp\cab modelling on the AX8 when I need it. :)

I'm planning to directly compare AX8 to FX8 in all respects that concern use with real amps.
As a convenience, I'll tell you what your results will be. :)

I'll test with 4cm and straight in front and try to measure relative audio quality,...
Audio quality will be identical.

...noisefloor,...
The FX8 will have the noise floor advantage, though you may only notice it running 4CM into a high-gain amp, and maybe not even then, depending on the situation.

...i/o levels,...
I/O levels will be whatever you set.

Seriously, I applaud all efforts to logically investigate guitar gear and to remove mythology from the equation.

As a convenience, I'll tell you what your results will be. :)

I wouldn't bother if I didn't already suspect you're right on all counts :). I fully expect AX8 to win for my situation.

Which takes me back to the original thread topic. My AX8 will end up costing $1399 USD, PLUS however many hundreds I'll lose on resale when I unload the FX8.

None of this really makes me upset though. Having too much fun feeding my own gear insanity. Hell, for what I do I could make do with a used $50 Zoom pedal if I had to.

Reactions: Rex
Die-hard tube-amp lovers will continue to buy and use the FX8. They want a great effects box that does channel switching and slays at low-noise 4CM.

For me personally, I was sold on the FX8 and was on the waiting list. It took a bit longer than expected and I'd moved on to something else as I had an immediate need to replace a failing device . Now, with the AX8, I'm very much back to kicking tires at Fractal .... I LOVE my tube amps but also do plenty of shows where I travel and have to use rented/borrowed gear. To be able to have this device that functions purely as an effect device through my tube amps and then be able to take that same device and use it as a modeler on various dates (or in the studio) is super ideal for me. In fact, that's how I've always used previous Multi-Effects units. For amp switching, I use an Amp Gizmo for switching the channels of a Mesa/Boogie Mark V and a Roadster anyway.

As much as I'd love to have both individual units for each separate purpose, I think the AX8 would be the biggest bang for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom