AX8 output volume

Arjan

Inspired
In order to get a decent output volume on the Axe Fx II, I put the output knob somewhere between 9 and 12 o'clock. On the AX8 on the other hand, I have to put the out1 volume knob to 100% to get a similar output. Is this normal?

I have my output knob at noon, and I have to keep the input gain on my audio interface and PA at very low settings to the point where I am almost engaging the pad

Are you using the XLR outs or the jack outputs? I am using the jack outputs, but could try the XLR's to see if there is a difference.

Check the main output (1) on the I/O page. Is it set at -10b instead of +4db?

From the manual:

OUT 1 (MAIN) NOMINAL LEVEL: Sets the nominal level of Output 1. +4 dBu is the default. It is designed for use with professional audio equipment. It is unlikely you will ever need to change this setting. Use the -10 dBV setting for consumer-grade or other equipment. The product manual for your connected equipment should indicate whether it operates at +4 dBu or -10 dBV. (Some devices are switchable.)

I hate to bring this up again...but there is definitely something going on with the output volume of the Ax8. I'm running a 'all' factory presets..I'm running straight out of output 1 L/R...the VU meter shows that I'm going a little over the 0db line..and the output monitor is showing that I'm sending plenty of signal...but I have to turn the output 1 knob to 100% to get any decent volume out of the unit...The levels are all at default in the menu screen. I use to almost blow my ears at 50% with the Axe FX...but I can barely hear anything at 50% on this unit. Several people have mentioned this on the forum..so can we confirm if this is a bug?? Are there bad units out there..or can this be fixed with a FW update?

I had the same problem. I have been using an Axe FX since the standard and NEVER had that issue out of the box prior to tweaking my presets.

For those who imported blocks from the Axe-Fx II, including the Input block:
check the value of the Input block on the grid of the AX8.

When importing an Axe-Fx II "Input" block, its Level will be changed to -20.
Should be 0 dB.

Make sure Output 1 is set to +4 dBu.
Mine is as well..and i haven't imported anything from the Axe FX...everything is stock. VU & Output are both showing plenty of output...but the actual volume coming from the unit is extremely low compared to the Axe FX..So low..I don't see how anyone could use it without the output knob at max. Hardware issue? or can Firmware fix this?

Also..fyi...I added a FXLoop and both output 1 and 2 are the same level..both have to be turned up 100% to get decent volume...seems as though something is keeping it from having headroom in the actual outputs

Stupid question I'm sure but have you checked your monitoring levels (studio monitors or mixer, or computer speaker/headphones volume settings) to be sure they are not turned down at all?

Could be your unit? I'm comparing levels in similar presets on my AX8 and an XL+ I've got here and it's essentially the same output.

Stupid question I'm sure but have you checked your monitoring levels (studio monitors or mixer, or computer speaker/headphones volume settings) to be sure they are not turned down at all?
In my case...I'm not going through a mixer...I can..but just for testing purposes..I have a y adapter plugged into output 1 LR into headphones..so I'm straight from the unit...no other gear attached. Same as the Axe FX

In my case...I'm not going through a mixer...I can..but just for testing purposes..I have a y adapter plugged into output 1 LR into headphones..so I'm straight from the unit...no other gear attached. Same as the Axe FX

Are you using the headphone jack on the Axe-Fx? I'm pretty sure that has a headphone amplifier driving it, and it is definitely optimized for headphone use. I can't use it above 40% without blowing my ears out. Conversely, I generally run the Output level at 100% when driving the rear Outputs to the line level inputs on my audio interface.

The AX8 outputs are 600 Ohms. An impedance mismatch with headphones can cause volume and tone loss.

Have you tried your Y adapter on the Axe-Fx rear outputs? And have you tried both units' Output 1 L/R into an interface or mixer?

If you are testing with headphones plugged directly into AX8 then that is no test at all. The AX8 doesn't have a headphone amplifier. As philipacamaniac implied, headphones connected to line level outputs will be very quiet compared to headphones connected to a headphone amp circuit. This is apples and oranges. You need to compare the line output levels connected to gear that is optimized for a line level signal (active monitors for instance).

I just started working with my new AX8 the last couple of days and the line level outputs seem quite strong and loud. I haven't compared them directly to my Axe-FX II, but they seem similar just based on my regular experience with the Axe-FX II.

Back
Top Bottom