AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here.. I just got an AX8 I bought it pre-owned.
Hello Paul....I have been using the AX8 for a while and can tell it is a wonderful modeler and effects unit , I use it through a Mission Gemini 2 (amazing stereo image sound) and also at the effects loop return of a tube head and 4x12 marshall cabinet , I have finally found a setup that combines simplicity and high performance, especially with the Mission one.
I hope you find the tones you are looking for , but don´t forget to take a look at the axe-change preset exchange site , I have found many great tones which you can always tailor to your needs using the AX8 editor. Never forget to backup your setup using Fractal Bot before you modify something. One another great thing about the AX8 are the great videos on youtube, such as the Leon Todd explanations on many different tweaks you can do , it takes time but is really worth it , have fun !!!

Hello Paul....I have been using the AX8 for a while and can tell it is a wonderful modeler and effects unit , I use it through a Mission Gemini 2 (amazing stereo image sound) and also at the effects loop return of a tube head and 4x12 marshall cabinet , I have finally found a setup that combines simplicity and high performance, especially with the Mission one.
I hope you find the tones you are looking for , but don´t forget to take a look at the axe-change preset exchange site , I have found many great tones which you can always tailor to your needs using the AX8 editor. Never forget to backup your setup using Fractal Bot before you modify something. One another great thing about the AX8 are the great videos on youtube, such as the Leon Todd explanations on many different tweaks you can do , it takes time but is really worth it , have fun !!!

Wow thank you. I'm really excited about the AX8. It's very promising... Thanks for sharing what you use. I hope to find good sounds and make music with mine as well. I would definitely check out the Axe-exchange. Thanks for the tips! You have a great day! ;)

I hope when Ares comes out it would change the sound a bit more 3d with that extra oomp that I hear on the FM3. Though I heard some videos of Leon soloing on the AX8 that resembles that 3d ommph on the FM3 if you know what I mean. Maybe if the setting are tweaked properly it could deliver the same result.

I hope when Ares comes out it would change the sound a bit more 3d with that extra oomp that I hear on the FM3. Though I heard some videos of Leon soloing on the AX8 that resembles that 3d ommph on the FM3 if you know what I mean. Maybe if the setting are tweaked properly it could deliver the same result.
When I had the AX8 I used the dynamic depth to enhance that oomph, try that!

FAS, it would be fair to give official announcement if there will be any future updates to AX8? Thanks for your reply.
curious, what issue would that solve? are you asking them to stop any thoughts of giving a future update just for a solid no? honest questions.

curious, what issue would that solve? are you asking them to stop any thoughts of giving a future update just for a solid no? honest questions.
Simply for the ones who are searching newer stuff for better tone :) It gives a push to update your equipment. Don´t get me wrong, still love AX8. But still as a gear geek i´m looking for better stuff and tone..

Simply for the ones who are searching newer stuff for better tone :) It gives a push to update your equipment. Don´t get me wrong, still love AX8. But still as a gear geek i´m looking for better stuff and tone..
I see. So you don’t want to sell it and then hear there’s an update you didn’t get to try... is that it?

He can't be working on the fw for 6 months. What is happening?
Since 6 months i get an email-notification here, just to find out someone else is asking for some news. I don't want you all to defend FAS or come up with an excuse cuz they don't answer us.

He can't be working on the fw for 6 months. What is happening?

Software development is not an easy thing. 6 months might be just not enough to port so complicated system to ax8. It's not just like converting one filetype to another or rephrasing existed documents - it's more complex. It might be more complicated than creating a movie remake.

I'm a software developer too and I know what I'm talking about.

AX8 has less processing power and different hardware buttons and screen so it leads to:
  • Devs will need huge amounts of time to optimize the algorithms' performance and memory consumption. It's really hard to achieve it in many cases.
  • Devs will need to recreate the onboard graphical interface to meet ARES firmware features and AX8 display/controls ability. In fact of the interface complicity, it can lead us to a huge redesign/rewriting interface code.
  • Devs will need to rebuild footswitch communications and indications so it can handle not X/Y switch but also appeared in ARES A/B/C/D switches. Or you'll have to drop 2 channels that again leads to software redesign/rewritings.
  • We'll need to rebuild AXE-edit to match new features
  • And also, maybe you'll need to update/rewrite firmware updating process

At this moment ARES has an unbelievable huge amount of differences from Quantum. 6 months only seem to be a big amount of time, but it's not. Especially if you have a small dev team. Especially when you work on such complex things as AXE FX devices. Especially if you write a relatively low-level, high-performance code that should work in realtime on the slightly exotic hardware platform (processors in Fractal Audio products is not compatible with processors that we can find in our pc or mobile devices that leads to more complex development/debugging). Especially if you need to push new FM3 to the market. Especially if you need to support AXE3.

So if ARES arrives this year it'll be a miracle, a miracle made by Cliff.

P.S. always asking "when" brings only anger to a developer.
P.P.S. I gave up I order AXE3.

Software development is not an easy thing. 6 months might be just not enough to port so complicated system to ax8. It's not just like converting one filetype to another or rephrasing existed documents - it's more complex. It might be more complicated than creating a movie remake.

I'm a software developer too and I know what I'm talking about.

AX8 has less processing power and different hardware buttons and screen so it leads to:
  • Devs will need huge amounts of time to optimize the algorithms' performance and memory consumption. It's really hard to achieve it in many cases.
  • Devs will need to recreate the onboard graphical interface to meet ARES firmware features and AX8 display/controls ability. In fact of the interface complicity, it can lead us to a huge redesign/rewriting interface code.
  • Devs will need to rebuild footswitch communications and indications so it can handle not X/Y switch but also appeared in ARES A/B/C/D switches. Or you'll have to drop 2 channels that again leads to software redesign/rewritings.
  • We'll need to rebuild AXE-edit to match new features
  • And also, maybe you'll need to update/rewrite firmware updating process

At this moment ARES has an unbelievable huge amount of differences from Quantum. 6 months only seem to be a big amount of time, but it's not. Especially if you have a small dev team. Especially when you work on such complex things as AXE FX devices. Especially if you write a relatively low-level, high-performance code that should work in realtime on the slightly exotic hardware platform (processors in Fractal Audio products is not compatible with processors that we can find in our pc or mobile devices that leads to more complex development/debugging). Especially if you need to push new FM3 to the market. Especially if you need to support AXE3.

So if ARES arrives this year it'll be a miracle, a miracle made by Cliff.

P.S. always asking "when" brings only anger to a developer.
P.P.S. I gave up I order AXE3.

I understand it may take longer than 6 months. They are not sitting in a basement for 6 months tho. There is ARES 12.x already. They have been communicating with customers, but not with us. It may be not enough to port this thing but its way to long not checking in with the community.

Ahh, welcome 'new member'. This would seem to be very much common sense, and your logic is sound.

But I've been hanging around these parts a looong time and witnessed this same situation before, and guess what. In the past, Cliff has completely defied this logic and gifted the community with free updates anyway (Axe-Fx II).

He didn't have to, and arguably cost himself sales of the newer boxes. YES he did it anyway, and it's either very generous or a level of wisdom not so obvious. If you take a long term view, you create a lot of good faith with those kind of moves. The kind of good faith that leads to future and repeat customers.

I really believe the non-update of AX8 (and FX8) has more to do with unfortunate technical PITA issues, being an old platform for which Cliff was never the primary firmware engineer. 5 months ago he gave it a shot anyway, realized it's not a quick/easy job. Based on him even mentioning it on forum, he most likely still means to do something (or have a new engineer do something), eventually, if they ever get time.

Never say never (until Cliff does)
I believe update of legacy systems has come to an end. In past, they have updated all the devices because it was in their capabilities, it was a manageable extra work but now they have 2-3 more new devices with even different OS. This would be crazy from a developer and QA perspective, even more if there's scarcity of human resources. That's why I think we won't see new updates for legacy devices. No more updates rumor seems "confirmed" by an Italian guy (Marco Fanton) close to G66.eu crew.
It would be interesting to know if the effort in keeping legacy devices updated might be supported by a kind of crowdfunding campaign.

Last edited:
I see. So you don’t want to sell it and then hear there’s an update you didn’t get to try... is that it?
Hi! In my case I have spent years downloading manuals and amp model listings. Reading them over and over again. Seeing the photos. Daydreaming. And finally, I was able to buy my AX8 (used. So what?). I would love to buy the AxeFxIII but here in Argentina it's impossible (400.000 pesos. Yes. 400.000). Would I sell my AX8 to buy an FM3? No, that's impossible too in my country. Would I like to have a new update or have Ares on my AX8? It would be the most. I had a lot of pedalboards. I tried ALL VST amp simulators. Nothing compares to my AX8 and I'm happy and lucky to have mine. And if there is no update, I'll be happy anyway. Sorry for my english. Best regards and stay home!

If the update comes thank you! No rush they're still doing a great job. AX8 is great in itself. Thank you cliff and team for bringing us a great unit

if they don't say "it's over" then there's a chance for an update.

if they do say "it's over" then there's a very close to zero chance for an update.

i prefer the first, personally.

I prefer silence given the situation.

It keeps “hope” alive 😉

If it does come ....expect compromise and EOL ....

Don’t want compromise?....

Pickup the AxeIII and/or FM3 😉👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom