AX8 Firmware V1.01 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are doing right. It comes out when it is tested. I don't want to be tester, i want to be user.

Well..it seems to be Q2.02 since the Flagship also gets a new one as stated in the AxeFX Fw thread. A little more delay, but for the better :)

Well..it seems to be Q2.02 since the Flagship also gets a new one as stated in the AxeFX Fw thread. A little more delay, but for the better :)
Yes, we are holding the AX8 firmware until Quantum V2.02 is released. The AX8 will contain the same changes.

Lol.....at this rate.....its looking like the AX8 wont get another update till 3.0 comes out.....this is just silly!!! At the rate that Cliff does improvements to the AxeFX FW.... we may never see an update if the Beta testers have to test the changes out for weeks at a time. By the time they get close to finishing, Cliff and team has another improvement ready....then its back to waiting for the porting and Beta testers to give it a go to make sure it works for a few weeks, then Cliff has another imrovement and back to porting and Beta Testers it goes...... Does anyone see a pattern here??

I'm looking forward to 2.02 and the preamp/poweramp modeling changes, as well as all the Class A improvements.

I've settled in on a tone and won't deviate from it until the new firmware hits.

I'm looking forward to 2.02 and the preamp/poweramp modeling changes, as well as all the Class A improvements.

I've settled in on a tone and won't deviate from it until the new firmware hits.

I've just given up on the idea of getting an update for the AX8, so I have made myself content with 1.01 that it came shipped with.......

Lol.....at this rate.....its looking like the AX8 wont get another update till 3.0 comes out.....this is just silly!!! At the rate that Cliff does improvements to the AxeFX FW.... we may never see an update if the Beta testers have to test the changes out for weeks at a time. By the time they get close to finishing, Cliff and team has another improvement ready....then its back to waiting for the porting and Beta testers to give it a go to make sure it works for a few weeks, then Cliff has another imrovement and back to porting and Beta Testers it goes...... Does anyone see a pattern here??

Patience is a rare thing these days.
They try to make the best FW for AX8, and now you complain that there are too much improvements.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-firmware-release.111657/page-10#post-1338539

Patience is a rare thing these days.
They try to make the best FW for AX8, and now you complain that there are too much improvements.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-firmware-release.111657/page-10#post-1338539

Well, I actually never complained that they make too much improvements. My complaint is the fact that the 2.0 FW was released at the end of January and it's still not ready for the AX8 and continues to get pushed back further each time that Cliff and team figure out something else they want to change. I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the reason that it has taken 6 weeks to get the new FW ported over to the AX8 and that it still is not ready. That is ACTUALLY the only complaint I have. Thanks for the life lesson though.... I appreciate you taking the time out of your day for that!!!

True, but it sounds like there was a problem with 2.01 and I rather have it fixed than have to spin my wheels. Not saying I'm not anxious to get the update though! It seems like the XL gets most of the attention and the AX8 and FX8 is the red headed step child when it comes to updates. I'm still trying to decide if I'm okay using the AX8 or if I want the full experience with the XL.

It seems like the XL gets most of the attention and the AX8 and FX8 is the red headed step child when it comes to updates.
That's a bit silly.

Of course they develop the new firmware first on the Axe-Fx - as they have for the last 10 years. It only makes sense to do that as it's the flagship model, then port it over to the other devices.

We are discussing Firmware 2. It's only the second one ever for the AX8. It's been out for months only. This is the first time a tone update is coming to the AX8. How can we call it the step child or anything from the very first time doing this sort of thing?

You are not missing a "full experience."

I think it's a fair analogy but the fact that you are disputing my analogy is more than a bit silly.

Also I think I'm a better judge of whether I'm missing something or not.

I am gonna quote myself from another thread from February 26

The problem here is that the "port to Ax8" team has to keep up with Cliff.

[Tongue in cheek]
It is two weeks ago that Ax8 FW 2.0 including Q2.0 went to the beta testers http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/coming-up.110915/

Now, a new Ax8 FW including Q2.01 has gone to the beta testers, so I guess it will be another few weeks.

What happens, if Cliff gets another epiphany within these few weeks :)
[/Tongue in cheek]

I am very happy with my Ax8 on FW1.01. It sounds amazing, so I am not complaining. One of the attractions of Fractal is the neverending quest for the best possible amp modelling in the universe. I just see the potential for the firmware update spiral of doom that leaves the Ax8 wanting :p

Now we are told that 2.02 will not delay the new FW release for Ax8 which is GREAT - but I do wish that FW2.0 had been released, when it was (close to) ready. 2.01 and 2.02 sound like they are a bit more incremental than the big 2.0.

I have no problem that betas are not released for Ax8, and it is fine that we are weeks behind the bigger brother. But now, we are still running a modelling version that was released for the bigger brother in November 2015. I think that is a bit too much.

All that said, I enjoy my Ax8 (even on FW1.01) every single day. This unit is amazing, I just cannot stop playing. Also, I know that there are many more adjustments and fixes in the coming firmware release than just updating the modelling algorithms, and I do appreciate the teams efforts towards getting it right the first time.

But now, we are still running a modelling version that was released for the bigger brother in November 2015. I think that is a bit too much..
that's not quite right and a bit of an unfair comparison.

we received AX8 FW 1.01 on Jan 29
the latest 1.xx Axe-Fx FW version was 1.06 on Dec 16

so since Jan 29, the AX8 has had the latest updates compared to the Axe-Fx, as much as possible. and if you just consider the main version number, the AX8 was "equal" to the Axe-Fx all the way up to Feb 4 since

Axe-Fx FW 2.00 was released on Feb 4

so it's really unfair to say that the AX8 is running on November 2015 firmware, when the Axe-Fx was also running on it just over 4 weeks ago.

--separate topic--

it's only been just over 4 weeks since 2.00 came out for the Axe-Fx. public betas were released shortly after for 2.01 and only less than a week ago, 2.01 was officially released. with the firmware changing over all that time, i don't know anyone who would want to port the FW versions to other devices when it is being actively developed on the main device.

to me, it only makes sense to port the code for a final release when the main version is done being worked on, especially if its in active public beta.

just today, cliff stated that there is another change and 2.02 is being beta tested. so 2.xx is still being fundamentally changed on the Axe-Fx, hence not ported to AX8 just yet.

i personally agree with this. why have AX8 chasing the Axe every single step of the way when fundamentals might be changed? more work for the AX8 devs, and more updating for the end-users. i think the disagreement might only be "no we AX8 users all want every single incremental update as well" - i think that's the "full experience" that someone else was talking about. but honestly, i wouldn't sell my ax8 to get an XL or something just to have an update each week that may be changing the next week.

so to me, the AX8 is not behind the Axe-Fx at all, since the fundamental details (2.00 Pre with 2.01 Power) are still being developed. i think once that is done, we'll see both Axe and AX8 updated to the same core modeling version, perhaps 2.02.

maybe the Axe will have more public releases than the AX8. we don't know. again, this is the first time the AX8 is being updated by a major revision, and you can't judge the future from the first - and only - instance of something.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure, Ax8 is still running Quantum 1.03.

Also, it is stated that the Ax8 is running the same Quantum modelling as AxeFX. So far, this has not been exactly true for a single second since the launch of Ax8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom