AX8 Firmware V1.01 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, to be accurate AX8 FW 1.01 did not include the modeling improvements that were in AxeII 1.06. There were also amp models added to 1.06 that did not make it to the AX8. We are in fact running a modeling version that is now 3 months behind the flagship no matter how you spin it. That's not what many of us were expecting.

Granted 1.01 kicks @$$. But it would be nice to see AX8 updates released when they are ready instead of holding them back. However, in this case it does seem like the right thing to do. Hopefully future updates will be a bit smoother.

Is 1.01 so bad?

No it's not that bad........but just like any other guitar player out there, I always like improvements. Name me a guitar player who is ever completely satisfied with their tone and I'll bet that guitarist is dead!!! I always like to try and make improvements and love when improvements are made with the FAS Firmwares and their modeling technology. Like I said...... I just can't figure out why it seems to take so long with releasing the FW for the AX8. I understand its a new product and they want Beta Testers to make sure it is working properly before releasing it to the public. I just don't see why Cliff can have an idea on a Saturday night and we wake up Sunday morning to a new FW for the Rack units, however, those same ideas take 6 weeks to materialize into the AX8. I'm just confused it all because I have grown used to having the Rack unit and being Johnny on the Spot with improved modeling technology. I am sure you can understand the frustration with the AX8 @Chris@AxeFxTutorials.......cant you?

I'm going to speculate that there's a lot more to the AX8 update than just the modeling. Lots of feature requests are hopefully being implemented as well which would require a lot more beta testing. If it were just modeling, I'll bet the updates would be more in sync with the AxeII.

To be honest, all I need are the JVM Satriani crunch models at this point. The rest of it I can wait for. I'm close to running out of time with my Matrix GT1000 evaluation period and haven't got close enough to replicating my real JVM Satriani with the other JCM 800-style models in the AX8. Fingers crossed for an update by next Thursday!

I'm going to speculate that there's a lot more to the AX8 update than just the modeling. Lots of feature requests are hopefully being implemented as well which would require a lot more beta testing. If it were just modeling, I'll bet the updates would be more in sync with the AxeII.

I hope you're right about that. I have seen where Matt has said they changed it so that you can add as many blocks as you want, but they will be disabled till you fall below CPU limits.....I'm not really sure how this is a good thing or useful....but I hope there is more that just this feature that is going to be implemented. Honestly though, I couldn't imagine anymore 'Features" that it would need aside from improved CPU which I think has been optimized about as much as it can be. I guess we all will just have to wait and see when they finally reveal it to the rest of us ordinary folks.

I always like improvements.
I just don't see why Cliff can have an idea on a Saturday night and we wake up Sunday morning to a new FW for the Rack units, however, those same ideas take 6 weeks to materialize into the AX8.
this is the last thing i'll say on the topic. i'm not trying to spin anything. i don't work for FAS.

who doesn't like improvements. but the problem is that one group got it, another group didn't. THAT is the issue. no one would care about the JS amps if no one knew about it. if 1.01 was the latest and there was no buzz about anything after it, everyone would be content and say 'this is the best, i have the latest improvements!' but the moment there is something better, suddenly what you have isn't good anymore. i know some people are saying "no, i do like 1.01" and i truly believe you. but there wouldn't be such want and desire and "OMG 6 weeks is an eternity" statements if 1.01 was still as good.

again, who doesn't like improvements? we all want them. but i just don't understand the "why can't i get it NOW" statements. "why is it taking 6 weeks!???" i feel like someone's saying "omg THEY have the JS amps and I don't and now my music is horrible!" i'm exaggerating, or maybe i'm not, but that's how it comes across.

2.xx is the first major core modeling update for the AX8. 2.xx on the Axe-Fx has been changing ever since its release, in the form of closed and public betas. IMHO, why release something for the AX8 that happens to be changing when the current version has been called "good" by everyone? i personally don't think anyone is "missing the full experience" by not loading incremental changes that are possibly going to change any moment. the audience is not saying "wow he must be using 1.01 because i heard 2.00 on the axe-fx." the hype for new FW is real, and great, and we all love it. but for me, i use FAS gear to create music in addition to using it as a Firmware loader.

again, this is the last i'll post about this "hurry up ax8" topic. it's just frustrating to me to know that hard work is being done, and people just want things done faster because they "just don't see why not."

have fun.

Well, I actually never complained that they make too much improvements. My complaint is the fact that the 2.0 FW was released at the end of January and it's still not ready for the AX8 and continues to get pushed back further each time that Cliff and team figure out something else they want to change. I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the reason that it has taken 6 weeks to get the new FW ported over to the AX8 and that it still is not ready. That is ACTUALLY the only complaint I have. Thanks for the life lesson though.... I appreciate you taking the time out of your day for that!!!

AX8 is new product so... is better to wait and get some extras for it.

I don't think I'll be installing the update, unless any major improvement to audio gap issue concerning preset/ scene / xy switching will be announced in the release notes. Sound-wise I'm perfectly happy with 1.01. Don't need a lot more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom