AX8 Firmware 9.03 Released

I didn't reset anything upgrading from 8.02 to 9.02 should i reset anything now when upgrading to 9.03? thanks, i'm a new user.

I think you should have done a hard reset of the amp block when updating from 9.02 to 8.02. You do not need to reset the amp block updating from 9.02 to 9.03, but since you haven't done that yet, try it on a preset and you will likely hear a significant difference.

I confirm my first impressions about this FW after having it tried at high volume with my CLRs. The sound is less boxy and less phasey and the notes just jump out of the fingerboard.
Previous updates changed the sound but it wasn't necessarily better even after tweaking, just different. With 9.03 instead everything sounds better without even tweaking, IMHO it's the biggest improvement since a couple major realease, it deserves some hype!

9.03= effortless goodness

Thanks FAS.

Actualy I did not have any problems with 9.02. Bu as I still see a lot of open wishes for UI improvement (many of them are on my wihlist as well, most of them should not be too hard to implement), may I ask if there are any plans to implement some of those in the near future. Currently I'm still hoping, but maybe I have to accept that AX8 stand alone will not be the perfect solution for me, and I have to consider a bigger board incl. MIDI footswitch again? So a clear "No" would also be helpful...

Thanks,
glombi

I don't think you will get any official response on that question.

Personally, I believe that there will be no more feature updates for AX8. I believe all future updates will be modelling updates only. I have no credible source for my beliefs. It is just my personal speculation based on my observations on this forum.

I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong (Feeling hopeful)

Hi @Smittefar

I think you're right in all of your points, sadly...

On the one hand modelling is the strenght of fractal compared to competition. So it's more than understandable, that this is constantly improved. And it's appreciated!!! Still I have an issue with zipper noise when using the wha block that I still could not rule out. So I'm not sure if it's related to modelling or build quality.

Talking build quality: My AX8 had to be exchanged two times, due to noise issues. The one of a friend also two times, due to noise and functional issues. I think noise and build quality have improved since production was completely moved to China. Others here loose FS caps or have random activities on their units. So maybe these things are not as robust as they do look like. But I see that there is no way to improve the units in the field...

So what I really hope for is that there might be some improvements that would qualify the AX8 even more for the intended use - live playing on stage. That with as little external extension... Some of the UI requests are not even new features, but "only" extensions of existing ones.

I must admit that currently I'm still tempted by Line6Helix LT, as modelling on these also seems to improve constantly, but the other aspects seem to be more advanced.

Cheers,
glombi

Still I have an issue with zipper noise when using the wha block that I still could not rule out.
If you're getting zipper noise with the Wah, something isn't set up right. The Wah sweeps as smooth as a baby's butt.

If you're getting zipper noise with the Wah, something isn't set up right.

Do you have any detailed hint? It happens out of the box (after factory reset) with factory and custom presets. Different expression pedals (calibrated) and different cables.

Do you have any detailed hint? It happens out of the box (after factory reset) with factory and custom presets. Different expression pedals (calibrated) and different cables.

Try adjusting Damping parameter in wah mdifier menu.

You have your expression pedal attached to the Wah block's Control parameter, right?

There should be no zipper noise, even with Damping set to zero. The only time I've ever experienced a zipper noise was when using an old MIDI pedal that limited how many MIDI messages it could send per second.

Hi @Smittefar

I think you're right in all of your points, sadly...

On the one hand modelling is the strenght of fractal compared to competition. So it's more than understandable, that this is constantly improved. And it's appreciated!!! Still I have an issue with zipper noise when using the wha block that I still could not rule out. So I'm not sure if it's related to modelling or build quality.

Talking build quality: My AX8 had to be exchanged two times, due to noise issues. The one of a friend also two times, due to noise and functional issues. I think noise and build quality have improved since production was completely moved to China. Others here loose FS caps or have random activities on their units. So maybe these things are not as robust as they do look like. But I see that there is no way to improve the units in the field...

So what I really hope for is that there might be some improvements that would qualify the AX8 even more for the intended use - live playing on stage. That with as little external extension... Some of the UI requests are not even new features, but "only" extensions of existing ones.

I must admit that currently I'm still tempted by Line6Helix LT, as modelling on these also seems to improve constantly, but the other aspects seem to be more advanced.

Cheers,
glombi

Sorry to hear your struggles with the AX8, 6 units total between you and your friend is a bit more than would seem reasonable but it's good to hear that FAS is helping. Hopefully you can have faith knowing that the quality issues are really not as common as some would like you to believe. I'm not discounting your experience, I had major reliability issues with an amp from a major amp manufacturer. It reached the point where I'm not able to even consider purchasing any of their products again. Point being sometimes stuff happens that's not indicative of a product but feels that way to the few who have bad experiences.

The AX8 is not for everyone but for many, many players it has been a great, dependable piece of gear. There are other products that may do some things "better" but that doesn't make the AX8 unusable in a live setting. I have used either the FX8 or AX8 live weekly for over two years and have been extremely happy with their performance and durability. The Helix is definitely a good option, as a long time Line 6 user I seriously considered it over the AX8, even after owning the FX8 for a year. The amp modeling in the Helix is much improved over their previous incarnations but I eventually chose the AX8 and have never wondered what I'm missing with the Helix.

FAS is one of the few companies that openly ask for suggestions for improvements and one of the fewer still that actually implement them without having to release a new product. Most users think their ideas are the most useful, easiest to implement and make the most sense. Ultimately it comes down to whether the powers that be find a suggestion something that would improve their product, take away from or enhance existing features and be worth the cost. To criticize FAS for not implementing wishes without knowing the decision process seems to be rather unfair.

From this point on, I hope you are able to have the same positive experience so many have had with the AX8 and other Fractal products.

@Sonofiam

Thanks, I'm still happily using my AX8. That FAS gives us regular FW updates is great, we don't even have to ask for. Also I don't blame FAS for not implementing my (or our) wishes, there may be reasons. The only thing that bothers me is that we are asked for improvement ideas, but don't get feedback wether they will be implemented, may be implemented or will not be implemented...

I may be showing my age by saying this but after over 25 years in IT, software "updates" are not always a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I am loving what FAS is doing and tip my hat to the continuing support they have.
At one point however, I do like the idea of an appliance that performs perfectly well today and will 10 years later.
Nobody buys a Marshall, Fender, Mesa Boogie, etc tube amp with the idea they will get updates to enhance the product at the risk of changing something that may or may not be intentional.
If they never update beyond 9.03 I'm fine with that. After 18 months of ownership, this is a perfect piece of hardware to me.
Any quirks that remain are OK. Just don't bog that CPU down or add a new feature that renders my presets sounding worse.
You have done stellar work guys. Keep the faith and sell a Mark II edition of the AX8 which has the update CPU, RAM and feature sets and some wish list items, I can then decide whether or not to keep.
Seasons Greetings to all at FAS and forum members. I keep learning a lot.

Back
Top Bottom