AX8 Factory Presets Update 6p02

While this is certainly possible I think the question is valid and deserves an answer.

$10 says they didn't notice til called out here, hence the "because we wanted to". I guess at least he didn't say "because we can".

Wonder if the new factory presets also had reduced levels on the Axe Fx.

$10 says they didn't notice til called out here, hence the "because we wanted to". I guess at least he didn't say "because we can".

Wonder if the new factory presets also had reduced levels on the Axe Fx.

I'm really wondering if you guys are noticing a HUGE deal of change in sound regarding the amp volume change, i mean is so insignificant. I'm more concerned that i'm not hearing any change in most presets compared to the new ones trying them side by side, noticing just a change in preamp tubes and other things but nothing that was not there already in feel and sound.

I'm really wondering if you guys are noticing a HUGE deal of change in sound regarding the amp volume change, i mean is so insignificant. I'm more concerned that i'm not hearing any change in most presets compared to the new ones trying them side by side, noticing just a change in preamp tubes and other things but nothing that was not there already in feel and sound.

I only tried two of the new presets and compared them to the originals: The Carol Ann and the Dirty Shirley. I am no pro nor do I know what these amps are really suppose to feel like, but I prefer the originals for these two. Didn't try other new preset yet. Hopefully I will get a chance to go back and play around to see the diffs.

Update: The volume change was it. Just needed a quick tweak and save.

Last edited:
I think they sound good. The levels probably changed so that the presets were closer to the same volume...IDK, but it's my guess.
A few presets changed a lot like the Mark Day preset is now "solo" instead of "80's rock" or whatever.
They are still great starting points, and overall I prefer the presets I make for myself.
Only you can know what you really want after all. I'm just thrilled to own a product that can get me there.

I like the new Texas Star preset! Between the AXY and the two DRVs there are a ton of tone possibilities!

Here is a quick a dumb question... if I update the firmware to 6.02 do I still need to do the preset update or is that included in the firmware update?

You'll also need to update the presets. Firmware does not contain presets.
Ok so I tried to do that but I don't know how to confirm if I did it correctly? I could only confirm the firmware was updated to 6.02 but I don't know where to browse around to see what version are the presets installed.

I ended up loading ALL the new factory presets. They sound great.

Not a big deal but noticed the Brit 800 preset didn't have anything assigned to the foot switches anymore. So added what I wanted.

In any case, this little box never ceases to impress.

Ok so I tried to do that but I don't know how to confirm if I did it correctly? I could only confirm the firmware was updated to 6.02 but I don't know where to browse around to see what version are the presets installed.

As Clint Martin said above, the mark day preset name changed. Go to bank 14 preset 7. If it is called "Mark Day Solo" it's the new preset.

Here is a quick a dumb question... if I update the firmware to 6.02 do I still need to do the preset update or is that included in the firmware update?

The new presets are different then the factory ones that came with the unit, they changed some stuff based on the new preset package of the AxeFX II unit.

You don't "need" to update them. But you "can" update them to hear the difference :D

Normally firmware updates that changes specific stuff like amp emulation and drives WILL automatically change any preset that has those items. So, normally, you never update the presets because they automatically "change", but this time Fractal changed them to accommodate the new tone possibilities better.

Sorry but didn't see an answer here. I just ordered an AX8 today. Is it safe to assume it most likely does NOT have the newer presets?

I suppose I'll check the Mark Day preset as well...

While this is certainly possible I think the question is valid and deserves an answer.
I found factory presets used to be pretty loud. Also varying quite a bit. I had some trouble getting my own presets up to the same level as the factory presets without clipping somewhere. Especially since some of mine contained solo boosts and other dynamic stuff. So I lowered overall output on my own presets. That made inadvertently calling up factory presets pretty dangerous.

So I welcome having the factory presets overall lower in volume. I'm sorry for the inconvenience to others.

Back
Top Bottom