AX8 Edit Communication time-out

TFC

Inspired
Can anyone tell me why I get this error message when trying to use AX8 Edit?

upload_2016-3-20_10-41-37.png

Sometimes the error is "get_param_info", sometimes "preset_query_status", among others. Any help would be appreciated. I am unable to get AX8 Edit to work (version 1.1, AX8 firmware 2.02).

Can anyone tell me why I get this error message when trying to use AX8 Edit?

View attachment 31184

Sometimes the error is "get_param_info", sometimes "preset_query_status", among others. Any help would be appreciated. I am unable to get AX8 Edit to work (version 1.1, AX8 firmware 2.02).
How long is your USB cable and/or is it connected to a non-powered hub?

Reactions: TFC
I get the same error messages.
My USB cable is brand new, just bought another to try. No fix.

I have ordered a Nextbook tablet which will be here Tuesday, hopefully it'll work.
I haven't been able to use AX8 edit yet.

How long is your USB cable and/or is it connected to a non-powered hub?

I've tried 2 different cables, both 6 feet. I think the USB ports are powered. The cables work in other applications, and some data is getting thru, as I can usually see the preset in AX8 Edit. But once that error appears, I can't do any editing in AX8. I'm using a windows Vista laptop. Any other ideas?

I've tried 2 different cables, both 6 feet. I think the USB ports are powered. The cables work in other applications, and some data is getting thru, as I can usually see the preset in AX8 Edit. But once that error appears, I can't do any editing in AX8. I'm using a windows Vista laptop. Any other ideas?

Make sure you aren't using a hub. Try a different USB port.

I get this depending on which computer and operating system I am using. Works great with my Nextbook running Windows 10, can't get it to work on my Desktop running Vista, and it's 50/50 on my laptop running Windows 10. Had no issues running Axe Edit with either of the 3, but AX8 Edit is real iffy as to what it will and won't work with. I don't know if it's the AX8 Edit software or the AX8 itself. I know that everything with the AX8 is slower than the Axe FX units.....figure that it's probably the processor inside since it's essentially the host. Either way, it's a major P.I.T.A. when trying to find something that AX8 will work with.

Make sure you aren't using a hub. Try a different USB port.

I've tried all 3 ports on my laptop and no luck. I almost always get this warning when starting up (and then one of the errors mentioned in my OP):

upload_2016-3-20_18-20-52.png

I know it worked at least once when I first got the unit a few weeks ago. Sounds like ssmorga78 above is having a similar experience with AX8 Edit.

I just happened to pick up a new laptop for my son today, so I may try it with that one once I get it set up. It's not too big of a deal, as I like to do all my editing on the unit itself. However, today I was trying to swap the X and Y values in a block and unlike the Axe-Fx, I don't think I can do that on the AX8 unit. I believe the editor is required.

I'm open to more suggestions/troubleshooting tips. Thanks.

I tried it using my new Windows 10 laptop with one of the same USBs and it worked fine. I think my Vista machine is slowly becoming obsolete...

I've tried all 3 ports on my laptop and no luck. I almost always get this warning when starting up (and then one of the errors mentioned in my OP):

View attachment 31193

I know it worked at least once when I first got the unit a few weeks ago. Sounds like ssmorga78 above is having a similar experience with AX8 Edit.

I just happened to pick up a new laptop for my son today, so I may try it with that one once I get it set up. It's not too big of a deal, as I like to do all my editing on the unit itself. However, today I was trying to swap the X and Y values in a block and unlike the Axe-Fx, I don't think I can do that on the AX8 unit. I believe the editor is required.

I'm open to more suggestions/troubleshooting tips. Thanks.
Nothing to worry about with this message

Guys, please upgrade to Windows 7 or 10.

I'm honestly not sure whether Windows Vista or Windows XP would be worse at this point.

Your advice is probably accurate, and I realize that the fact is I will be left behind if I continue to use Vista. However, the AX8 Edit page states that AX8 Edit "Requires Win 8.x, 7.x, or Vista (x86 or x64)".

Guys, please upgrade to Windows 7 or 10.

I'm honestly not sure whether Windows Vista or Windows XP would be worse at this point.

I would love to, but I am not paying to upgrade my Vista machine. Also, I still have this problem 50% of the time with my laptop that's running Windows 10.......so what to do about that??? I suppose I should just go out and buy laptops till I find one that works 100% of the time huh???

Yes, I got an old Vista machine that is a problem child no doubt. I have Windows 10 for it but I can't update directly. I have to go Win7 first. Pain in the ass...... LOL....
Is there a way to update from Vista to 7 for free anymore? I saw on the Windows site that you can download the Advisor and run it on the machine....but that does sound like a P.I.T.A. I would love to get that machine updated to Windows 10....but I have found no way to do it without having to pay for a Windows 10 disc. I have a new hard drive for that Desktop as well, so the Windows 10 Disc may be the best way to go in the end.

I would love to, but I am not paying to upgrade my Vista machine. Also, I still have this problem 50% of the time with my laptop that's running Windows 10.......so what to do about that??? I suppose I should just go out and buy laptops till I find one that works 100% of the time huh???

Sorry dude but "I don't feel like paying to upgrade" isn't really a valid excuse in the technological world man. Might as well say you expect website designers to cater to your 640x480 17" CRT monitor because you don't feel like paying to upgrade to a higher resolution display. Windows Vista support from Microsoft officially ended 4 years ago actually.

I mean, don't pay to upgrade if that really makes you happy, but in doing so you also must understand that you're forfeiting your credibility when reporting problems like this, and besides that it makes you look like you're complaining when the world doesn't bend around your refusal to migrate out of obsolescence. Yeah it's expensive and it kinda sucks sometimes but that's the reality of it unfortunately.

Also, if you have a problem roughly 50% of the time doing any software task in any modern OS, that points to either your hardware being faulty or there's some other interfering software that's attempting to commandeer 90% of your processing power (like a virus scanner) during those timing-sensitive software upgrades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom