AX8 doesn't really sound quite right

Promit

Inspired
Ok, I've owned an Axe II for a while so I'm generally pretty familiar with things. I've never tried to use it in a power amp/cab setup though, so I'm testing the AX8 in this role and something seems just a touch off.

I made a quick 5153 50W Blue preset with an FX loop before the cab, took output 2 to the return on my real EVH 5150 50W, and it's very anemic sounding. Started with Depth and Presence off on the real amp, tone knobs at noon on both sim and amp. Depth on 50% sounds close to the real amp with depth at 0, and I have to bring Depth in on the real amp - on top of 50% depth in the AX8 - to get that big power chord gut punch. That doesn't make sense to me. There should be a ton of low end oomph with the depth up that high. I don't run it anywhere near that high through monitors. There's also something subtle going on in the mids that isn't quite right. It feels a bit congested or fuzzy, while the real amp is crystal clear.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Maybe we have to wait for Q4.0. I made a similar experience with the low end oomph when comparing my AX8+SS-amp to my friends Diezel Amp into the same 4x12.

Ok, I've owned an Axe II for a while so I'm generally pretty familiar with things. I've never tried to use it in a power amp/cab setup though, so I'm testing the AX8 in this role and something seems just a touch off.

If you're using a real tube poweramp, you need to make sure you've disabled Poweramp Modeling. You also want to set your Output 2 Nominal Level (-10 dBv or +4 dBU) to match your amp's FX return.

Can you describe the rest of the setup? How are you A/B testing between the real amp and the model? Swapping a guitar cable from the AX8 input to the amp input?

If you're using a real tube poweramp, you need to make sure you've disabled Poweramp Modeling. You also want to set your Output 2 Nominal Level (-10 dBv or +4 dBU) to match your amp's FX return.

Can you describe the rest of the setup? How are you A/B testing between the real amp and the model? Swapping a guitar cable from the AX8 input to the amp input?

I think he said his preset has the cab too so turning off the power amp probably won't sound right for the cab part if he's running direct? I've been dealing with this too so I can send main out to FOH and out 2 to my 5153/cab for on stage as I don't get along with my CLR at the moment.

I think he said his preset has the cab too so turning off the power amp probably won't sound right for the cab part if he's running direct? I've been dealing with this too so I can send main out to FOH and out 2 to my 5153/cab for on stage as I don't get along with my CLR at the moment.
I understood he's not going direct, but right from the amp block into the return of his 5153 50 watt. As philipacamaniac said, power amp modelling should be of that way.

I understood he's not going direct, but right from the amp block into the return of his 5153 50 watt. As philipacamaniac said, power amp modelling should be of that way.

I took it that he made a preset with a cab and went out 2 to his amp...I must have read it wrong. I do have the same issue though but when trying to send full preset to FOH and out 2 to real amp/cab. Still working it out. Hoping they rectify this as most other units in this range can already do this.

Ok, I shut off power amp modeling, leveled the masters properly and compensated with the levels, and shut off the reverb block. They're much closer now. They're not the same which I'm not yet sure exactly what to make of, and I'm unsure of how to put the difference into words. I'll probably four-cable it later so I can switch back and forth instantly. Might be a simple matter of variation between 5150 units and tubes.

Might take some tweaks, but Cliff generally has stated most amp models are accurate enough that he finds it hard to tell which is which when going from A/B. I think you should be able to get it to the point where you'd have a hard time telling which was which in a blind test, though sometimes getting that last degree of tone can be tricky as not all settings match up with real world equivalents and such

what version and year is your EVH 5150?
No idea. Sounds great though, pity about the stupid volume jump issue which turned out to be a deal breaker. I wonder if it still has stock tubes in it. Seems to be a touch darker than the Axe, and I can't tell if it's a bit thicker sounding or if I'm imagining it. Need to 4-cable it and play with the EQ. Of course the EVH has one and a half useful channels while the AX8 has several hundred ;)

I'm running without power amp sims now. The loss of real depth and presence controls is irritating, so I need to get my hands on a halfway decent flat response power amp and see if it makes more sense that way.

Interesting thread. I recently got an AX8 and am using it in 4 cable. I left the power amp modelling on as it just sounded better to me that way. I am using a Lone Star Special combo btw.

In that video it states that you can use the external footswitch jacks to change channels on your amp; is that correct? Maybe I misinterpreted what was said as I didn't think the AX8 could do that.

I think his amp has midi so it can be switched that way. That's how it works on my 5153.

I'm running mine into a quilter tone block and feels and sounds like my Vht. I run the ax8 output knob at 100% and set the quilter to line level it destroys. When I ran the ax8 output knob low it was thin harsh and uminpessive

Oh also the transformer match knob in the amp block under the speakers option. Turn it left to open it up very little goes a long way

Back
Top Bottom