AX8 DI's?

cheap

Hey everyone,

I have an AX8 and no DI box. Would it be appropriate to see the Fractal as a DI and send the dry guitar/bass tracks through main out 1 and send the wet tracks through out 2? I'd really like to not put the money down on a real DI right now so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, this works. On occasion you may encounter a mixer that doesn't like the hotter signal from the AX8 but so far that's been rare in my experience.

I'm connecting it to a Steinberg UR44. I'm going to be tracking and I just want guitar and bass DI's for reamping down the road in a much more equipped studio.

Right now I'm just using single coil pickups so hopefully I won't run into a ceiling too quickly.

Thanks guys!

If you swap your config (Out 1 wet, Out 2 dry) then you can use the built-in option for this.

Under Setup -> I/O -> Audio, set Out 2 (FX Send) Echo to "Input 1". That way, Out 2 will send a copy of the direct signal that hits Input 1.

I'm connecting it to a Steinberg UR44. I'm going to be tracking and I just want guitar and bass DI's for reamping down the road in a much more equipped studio.

Right now I'm just using single coil pickups so hopefully I won't run into a ceiling too quickly.

Thanks guys!

You should be fine, just connect it up in the configuration you want :)

^^ So with that I'd leave my connections to the interface the way they are and get the dry signal from Out 2? I'm confused by the 'set Out 2 (FX Send) Echo to "Input 1" part of that

Setup -> I/O -> Audio

You will see a setting that says "Out 2 (FX Send) Echo". It doesn't mean echo as in "delay fx".

The possible options for that setting are:
  • "none" which means Out 2 will only send whatever is sent to the FX Loop block on the grid in a preset (useful as an FX loop). This is what you'd have to do in your current plan.
  • "Out 1" which means Out 2 will send an exact copy of Out 1 (useful for stage monitor)
  • "Input 1" which means Out 2 will send an exact copy of Input 1 (useful for tracking dry DI tone for later reamping)

oh man that makes total sense haha i guess i was having a pretty slow morning.. thanks for clarification!

lastly, any tips for Db's to shoot for or not go past on the guitar DI's? I'm recording in 44.1, 24 bit and don't really plan on changing that but I also don't really have any preferences if there is a benefit to upping the quality for DI's sake

oh man that makes total sense haha i guess i was having a pretty slow morning.. thanks for clarification!

lastly, any tips for Db's to shoot for or not go past on the guitar DI's? I'm recording in 44.1, 24 bit and don't really plan on changing that but I also don't really have any preferences if there is a benefit to upping the quality for DI's sake
if the DI's are going back into the AX8, then you don't want to change anything regarding dB levels. you want it exactly the same as the original performance.

if the DI's are going back into the AX8, then you don't want to change anything regarding dB levels. you want it exactly the same as the original performance.
OOOOO that's a good point! I think the plan is to still be using the AX8 for a few front end effects so that is definitely something to keep in mind

Back
Top Bottom