Ax-APE: Orange Tiny Terror

Feedback -

I've got it working and it does work but when you adjust the controls in the APE, but they do not reflect in EDIT. Even though the APE controls change volume, tone and gain, the controls in EDIT do not change. However if the controls in EDIT are changed, they do change in APE. If that makes sense.
Also if I am making changes to another block in EDIT, then which ever control I used last in APE also changes, but without changing the amp block. If I simply hover over the control in APE, it reverts back to the amp block setting.

I've got it running on windows 7 and have just updated to the very latest version of Quantum and Axe-Edit.

Bloody great though if you can nail it!
Is the 15/7 watts mapable?

Thanks for the useful feedback @malenko

Also if I am making changes to another block in EDIT, then which ever control I used last in APE also changes, but without changing the amp block. If I simply hover over the control in APE, it reverts back to the amp block setting.

I think I know why this is, thanks for identifying this bug! Interestingly, this only happens when editing other blocks from Axe-Edit, not from the Axe-FX front panel.

I've got it working and it does work but when you adjust the controls in the APE, but they do not reflect in EDIT. Even though the APE controls change volume, tone and gain, the controls in EDIT do not change. However if the controls in EDIT are changed, they do change in APE. If that makes sense.

In order to send those edits from APE to Axe-Edit we would need a way to route MIDI commands from the Axe-FX MIDI In back into the Axe-FX MIDI In. When you make a front-panel edit on the Axe-FX II it sends a MIDI notification to Axe-Edit that you're making changes and it should wait for you to manually click "Communications paused. Click to resume". I haven't yet tried anything weird like looping a MIDI cable between the Axe-FX MIDI ports, which anyway I think would result in MIDI message infinite loops. The refresh commands that Axe-Edit sends to the Axe-FX are also what result in the audio signal drops and pops that you get with Axe-Edit, an issue that the APE approach manages to avoid. I'd imagine there's a MIDI sysex command that could be send to the Axe-FX to get the Axe-FX to send it's "hold on" command to Axe-Edit, but the sysex documentation is sparse at best. Suffice it to say that, at least for now, APE works as a replacement for the Amp block controls in Axe-Edit, not in conjunction with it. You can use APE to control your Amp block while Axe-Edit handles all the other blocks, grid routing, etc.

Is the 15/7 watts mapable?

Unfortunately only the 15 watt mode was modeled by Cliff. Perhaps somebody knows what Power Amp parameters to change to get the 7 watt mode? Along those lines, Cliff had posted the parameters to adjust to get a Mesa to operate in Class A mode even though the model is of the Simul-Class mode. These are the kinds of things I would like to replicate within APE where possible. Similarly I'd like to implement high-low input switching realistically even though all Axe-FX models are of the high inputs of their respective amps.

Very nice! most of the sysex on AX8 is the same as Axe FX, few things work a bit differently, the id for the AX8 is 8

wow... hopefully this will be the start of a journey for you.

Possibly. A few days I found myself thinking I've always wanted to interact with the Axe-FX (and before that, the Eleven Rack) a certain way and it was becoming increasingly clear to me that if that's what I wanted, I'd have to program it myself. I've never programmed anything before (studied arts and humanities in school, and now I'm a marketing business consultant), so the past few days have been interesting to say the least...

There are some behind-the-scenes features that won't for with the AX8, but I don't think it'll be a problem. For example: the Master Volume is dual-linked and scaled down to Speaker Drive, calculated by the amp model's wattage and "typical" cabinet. On AX8 I assume it'll just ignore that parameter.

AX8 has Speaker Drive as well as nearly all parameters in the Amp Block, with the notable exception of the bias tremolo section.

I'm not sure I would dig Master Volume knob adjusting other parameters - especially Speaker Drive in this case. Those parameters already interact, so I think you'd want it at a fixed amount, and let the MV do its thing. With Speaker Drive at 1.00, you'll get more of the effect with a cranked MV and less of the effect as you turn down MV - that's already built in. Not sure why you'd want to also increase Speaker Drive to get even more of the effect as MV is turned up - seems like the increase could get out of hand. The extra interaction could also be viewed as a less accurate representation of the model.

I probably just don't have a good understanding of what it is you're trying to accomplish there. The visual interface looks wonderful - I look forward to a Mac version that works with the AX8.

AX8 has Speaker Drive as well as nearly all parameters in the Amp Block, with the notable exception of the bias tremolo section.

I'm not sure I would dig Master Volume knob adjusting other parameters - especially Speaker Drive in this case. Those parameters already interact, so I think you'd want it at a fixed amount, and let the MV do its thing. With Speaker Drive at 1.00, you'll get more of the effect with a cranked MV and less of the effect as you turn down MV - that's already built in. Not sure why you'd want to also increase Speaker Drive to get even more of the effect as MV is turned up - seems like the increase could get out of hand. The extra interaction could also be viewed as a less accurate representation of the model.

I probably just don't have a good understanding of what it is you're trying to accomplish there. The visual interface looks wonderful - I look forward to a Mac version that works with the AX8.

Good to hear that Speaker Drive is on AX8, guess I was mixing it up with the bias trem. The latest build in the first post on this thread should already have AX8 detection, let me know if it works!

If Speaker Drive is already related to Master Volume then that certainly makes my code simpler... I had posted about Speaker Drive settings earlier and gotten a lot of responses, would be curious how you weigh in here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/speaker-drive-setting-and-interactions.124340/

Good to hear that Speaker Drive is on AX8, guess I was mixing it up with the bias trem. The latest build in the first post on this thread should already have AX8 detection, let me know if it works!

If Speaker Drive is already related to Master Volume then that certainly makes my code simpler... I had posted about Speaker Drive settings earlier and gotten a lot of responses, would be curious how you weigh in here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/speaker-drive-setting-and-interactions.124340/

I'll add some comments to the other thread.

Edit: downloaded and got the app working and talking to the AX8. The knobs were a bit jumpy at first but I had AX8-Edit open (although it was paused). As soon as I quit AX8 the jumpiness seemed to go away. I'll test more later.

I like the idea a lot, but the knobs on the amp panel are pretty glitchy and don't always turn when you want them to. I'm using an ax8 into a windows 10 laptop if that helps.

I hope you make a ton more.
Or at least 200 more. Cool idea for those who like "seeing" each Fractal amp as a separate entity. Might be cool to generate a virtual amp-modding workshop that also lets users get under the hood in a less-rabbit-hole manner than the Axe-Fx. Nice front-end concept.

Brilliant idea

This really is a best of both worlds solution. For full in-depth editing we've got Axe-Edit, and for those that want the actual one-to-one knob layout of the actual amp could use this GUI and it would be quite like seeing/using the actual amp.

Not having to design a "skin" or something that works within AxeEdit certainly would make it easier to design each amps panel from the ground up for style/ease of use.

Again, simply brilliant idea

Super idea this @sumitagarwal! Can't wait to try your work out tonight!

Are you going to make the interface intelligent so that it automatically detects the correct amp panel to display? (i.e. this of course is if you do the other 200+ amps).

Back
Top Bottom