Ax-APE: Orange Tiny Terror

sumitagarwal

Inspired
yBLkfhY.png

@yek's work on the Axe-FX amp model guides really inspired me to use the info he had gathered to create a more visual and interactive "documentation" of the amps inside our Fractal boxes. And, especially for novice Axe-FX users, this creates a quick way to get to know an amp model.

I'm calling these "Ax Amplifier Panel Emulators". The very first one, which we have here, is the Orange Tiny Terror. It gives a pretty awesome range of tones for just three knobs, and three knobs made for easier programming.

Setup
The only configuration that an Ax-APE requires is the selection of your MIDI devices.
Typically, if your Axe-FX II is connected via USB, you’ll select Axe-FX II for all.
There is no need to change the MIDI Channel settings.

After selecting your MIDI devices, you may need to close and reopen the Ax-APE for the app to connect to MIDI. It will automatically detect Axe-FX II, Axe-FX II XL, and Axe-FX II XL+ and will send the correct messages for each.

yZe1RhD.png

Using the Ax-APE
Once the MIDI ports are working, the Ax-APE is extremely easy to use. On opening it will check if Amp1 is set to Citrus Terrier and if so it will load the knob states from the Axe-FX. If Amp1 is not set to Citrus Terrier, it will select that amp model and initialize the default amp settings.

Then just grab the knobs and tweak 'em.

Feedback much needed and appreciated!!!

Mac application download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0dpara37o3fa4v/Ax-APE - Orange Tiny Terror.zip?dl=0

Windows executable download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwj1zsc5x7fuqhq/Ax-APE - Orange Tiny Terror.exe?dl=0

Last edited:
Interesting - Do you think, it will work on AX8 as well (I will try later)
I actually would like it to (which is why I went with "Ax-APE" instead of "Axe-APE"). There is no MIDI sysex documentation for the AX8, which is disappointing. Most critically I need the MIDI model ID bytes for the AX8.

There are some behind-the-scenes features that won't for with the AX8, but I don't think it'll be a problem. For example: the Master Volume is dual-linked and scaled down to Speaker Drive, calculated by the amp model's wattage and "typical" cabinet. On AX8 I assume it'll just ignore that parameter.

In future models I anticipate leveraging both amp blocks, which wont work on AX8.

Oh wow, this is very clever! I'm sure many users will find this useful!

This might be a very ambitious idea, but it would be very cool to have an Ax-APE Suite where you open just the one application, select an amp from the AMP block in Axe Edit/front panel, and the Ax-APE amplifier panel changes based on what amp you select.

This is a very cool project. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it! Best of luck!

Oh wow, this is very clever! I'm sure many users will find this useful!

This might be a very ambitious idea, but it would be very cool to have an Ax-APE Suite where you open just the one application, select an amp from the AMP block in Axe Edit/front panel, and the Ax-APE amplifier panel changes based on what amp you select.

This is a very cool project. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it! Best of luck!

Thanks! I am actually considering that, but balancing scope creep against my requirement that it stays as dead-simple as possible. I've learned a lot from my jam sessions with a close friend of mine. We started playing guitar together almost 25 years ago. Today he's got ivy-league PhD and an MD degrees... and yet when it comes to guitar gear he's so dumb he can't even figure out my old Eleven Rack that I gave him!! And for those of you who have never used them, the interface is wonderfully straight-forward.

Most guitar players aren't like us here on this forum. I think of Ax-APE as a way to showcase the raw tone of the Axe-FX without diving into many panels and knobs, which most guitarists I know associate with some form of "post production" rather than the true tone of the model itself.

Another reason why I currently like the idea of separate apps for each amp is because of the unexpected discoveries you make when you take an amp, commit to it, and get to know it inside out instead of choosing the "right" amp for each job (for me an example would be the bright lively cleans of a JCM800 when you pull down the gain, and roll off amp volume on the neck pickup).

I like this idea. I hope to some of the old fender tweeds soon!

I'm especially interested in tackling some tweeds that have bias-based tremolo on-board. However, in order to do that I'll need somebody to weigh in on what depth and rate of the bias trem in the Axe-FX corresponds with the Fender circuit.

Very cool but I expect you will run into copyright issues shortly. There is a reason the models in the Axe are named like they are.

1. Purpose and character of the use
The first factor is "the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes." To justify the use as fair, one must demonstrate how it either advances knowledge or the progress of the arts through the addition of something new.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#1._Purpose_and_character_of_the_use

This is completely non-commercial and I do not plan on ever charging for Ax-APE. As described earlier, I consider it a form of documentation of the amp model parameters in relation to the real-world amps, and the use of any images/names/logos are used for the same purposes as the images that Yek includes in his amp guides.

Wow this is what I have been thinking of for a LONG time. It's exactly how I wish to get to know all the amps.
I actually suggested something like this in the wish list but got shot down by the purists.
Perhaps you should change the name labels in the graphic so as not to infringe copyright and hopefully carry it through.
Can't wait to try this later
Thanks

Bravo!

My recent thread about "Reality Mode" was misinterpreted by many, generated a wide range of opinions, and was eventually moved to the "wish list" sub-forum. All I was really tossing about was the good/bad implications of having such ready access to the inner workings of the wonderful FAS models.

I didn't realize that this topic was a rehash of earlier posts but I would NEVER suggest taking anything way. Your approach here is fun and waaaaay more than anybody could ask for! If I was making a wish list request (which I wasn't), I would have been more than satisfied with some subtle UI tweaks to "optionally" see the real controls on a particular amps more prominent and associated with the model counterparts.

What you've done here is all that and then some! Thanx for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom