Austin Buddys Live Gold - Pack - Opinions, please ;-)

"I prefer your presets a lot as it feels more like"the real thing"

I totally agree! There are alot of great Presets out there. But sooo many of them feel too "studio smooth" if you catch my drift. This is what caught me with AustinBuddys Live Gold. There is a certain smoothness as well, but also a tangible raw feeling to it that feels less studio to me, and more actual Amp. Hard to explain. But you FEEL it and HEAR it.

I totally agree! There are alot of great Presets out there. But sooo many of them feel too "studio smooth" if you catch my drift. This is what caught me with AustinBuddys Live Gold. There is a certain smoothness as well, but also a tangible raw feeling to it that feels less studio to me, and more actual Amp. Hard to explain. But you FEEL it and HEAR it.
Oh, wow you just convinced me not to buy AustinBuddy Live Gold. I want MORE studio smooth and ZERO raw (just my needs)

Even though they are designed for live or loud performance, I took his word they would still sound good through headphones. They didn't. I replaced them all with the new Fractal Cygnus factory presets and am very happy with those. I mostly blame myself for wasting the 99 bucks. Hey, it's only money.

Yes. I am always striving to make each preset realistically sound like the real amps I have played and/or heard (with a mic on them of course). The addition of the speaker compression algorithm to the amp block a few firmwares back (feel like years ago now!), to my ears, always pulled away from that goal for me, even though I'm sure it's technically accurate by Cliff. Apparently lots of people agree me, because they like my presets which don't use it (or use it very sparingly, like 0.25, in some cases).

The Factory amps default to 1.0 speaker compression. I just set it to zero. But anyone can add it any time, the more you add though, the more you have to raise the Level to compensate for the gain reduction at the speaker as it compresses. And different amps compress differently at speaker, so I don't think a one size fits all setting works.

Compression is the sound of rock, but there are a few kinds/types of compression and not everyone gets this stuff. I want the amp (model ) to naturally compress as it gets louder. That's what makes a lot of amps so glorious as they get louder, they naturally compress and focus the tone in a pleasant way This is not the same as speaker compression, but that can be a part of it.

Then there is the heavy compression (pedal) in front of an amp, like many country Telecaster players like. Many of them (like Andy Woods) are using that not just as a "smoothing out the low to high E stings" control but also as an overall guitar signal boost going into the amp/hitting it. Works great.

Or squishy, sustainy Strat compression stuff like the 80's, where it's almost a limiter and ratios of 12:1 or higher. It's cool thing for some kinds of cleans. One of Fractal Audio's Matt Picone's personal favorite sounds.

But for rock music, many producer/engineers add compression at lower ratios right after the mic preamp to act more as a "limiter" to cut the peaks when recording the amp (so the way the low E doesn't poke out while the high 12th fret isn't wimpy sounding in comparison, level wise). After applying that, they then raise the gain which makes the guitar louder and punchier.

This is using lower compression ratios like 2:1 (not really above 4:1) and only putting -1db to -3db compression on peaks. The compressor is not "always working", it just compresses slightly when the loudest notes play really.

That's how Andy Johns did it on Zeppelin records for example, with a Universal Audio 1176 (4:1, fixed fast attack at 0.283 milliseconds, fast release at 75 ms, and light limiting/gain reduction of no more than -3db at the loudest guitar notes). That's a secret sauce of a lot of classic rock guitar tones on albums that make them sound big and fat coming ot of your speakers.

I was in a pro mixing/producer forum recently and the question was asked "if you could have only one plug-in between EQ, reverb, and compression, what would it be?" Without hesitation, my vote was for compression. Because, technically you can create EQ with mics and mic placement, and reverbs with rooms and spaces, but you can't naturally create compression (I guess if you are a master fader rider and can mind read your guitar player before he hits the louder or soft notes, you can...).

Last edited:
Even though they are designed for live or loud performance, I took his word they would still sound good through headphones. They didn't. I replaced them all with the new Fractal Cygnus factory presets and am very happy with those. I mostly blame myself for wasting the 99 bucks. Hey, it's only money.
Maybe I'm the tonedeaf one here, but I think they sound great live and through headphones.

Oh, wow you just convinced me not to buy AustinBuddy Live Gold. I want MORE studio smooth and ZERO raw (just my needs)
You are not only getting the presets but a whole sorted library of different presets sorted by amp manufacturer with perfectly leveled and tweaked sounds as a starting point. Austin did a lot of work for any user and that is another important fact. It is very easy to tweak those presets to your liking and add compression to them 😎

You are not only getting the presets but a whole sorted library of different presets sorted by amp manufacturer with perfectly leveled and tweaked sounds as a starting point. Austin did a lot of work for any user and that is another important fact. It is very easy to tweak those presets to your liking and add compression to them 😎

Exactly. I was initially a little bit dissapointed on a fist listening (pe-Cygnus, since I still haven't got time to check the latest update), but it is very easy to tweak them to your personal taste.

They are perfect for creating your own presets: instead of starting from scratch, search the amplifier that you want and, amongst other details, you'll find that you already have nicely matched CABs, and interesting variations at the scenes. That can really save you a lot of time, research, and effort.

Last edited:
AB has a knack for capturing the character of the amps. His presets tend toward somewhat lower gain (except when gain is the amp's raison d'etre) and tend toward being unadorned. Since they were set up at volume they consistently sound good loud, and spare me the Fletcher-Munson two-step.

My go to patches are Frankensteined from various sources (including Leon Todd, Fremen, and a few others)...but I usually take the amp and cab from AB's Live Gold for the above reasons.

AB has a knack for capturing the character of the amps. His presets tend toward somewhat lower gain (except when gain is the amp's raison d'etre) and tend toward being unadorned. Since they were set up at volume they consistently sound good loud, and spare me the Fletcher-Munson two-step.

My go to patches are Frankensteined from various sources (including Leon Todd, Fremen, and a few others)...but I usually take the amp and cab from AB's Live Gold for the above reasons.
Ya Agree,

I had the AB Live Gold before 4.0 and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and will load his new Presets soon, but really enjoying the new stock Presets that just got released, so so good.
Can't wait to hear his 3rd bank update, especially coming from a more modern rock standpoint

I just feel the need to show a bit of random Live Gold love again. I've been auditioning the upated 4.00 presets through my Matrix FR12 at rehearsal recently, and they are just superb. Austin has such a talent for dialing these in, and it just makes me realise I've never been that good at dialing stuff in for high volume, which has led to me being dissatisfied with tone no matter what rig I've had (valve amp or modeller). Or perhaps being more generous to myself, haven't had the space to really dial stuff in loud.

I tried a bunch again last night and settled on the Brit Pre preset. Very versatile and just sounded great. Many compliments from other band members, and the simplicity of just going straing into the FR12 is nice, instead of using power amp and cab on stage which required different routing for Out1 and Out2.

Hi everyone,

did anyone find out if there is an easter egg
Andy Summers style preset anywhere in Austin Buddys Goldpack?
I like the Andy Summers chorus sound and would like to know
if Austin has made a preset with that kind of chorus sound :)

No doubt check out all of the free presets, and Leon Todd's are great! I look at them differently though.

Leon knows what he wants out of amps and effects and very generously shares with the community- he also shares companion videos so you can see how he builds tones and tailors them to his own tastes. LT's 5-minute tones videos are a fantastic place to start to build your own tones, and then if you want to sound like him, use his presets :)

AB, on the other hand, is like having your own virtual guitar tech, so you can have very consistent, comparable and stripped down amp tones (at least with the Naked Amp packs)- across all of the amp choices offered by Fractal. With multiple scenes all useful for guitarists, using a very well thought out method.

Hi everyone,

did anyone find out if there is an easter egg
Andy Summers style preset anywhere in Austin Buddys Goldpack?
I like the Andy Summers chorus sound and would like to know
if Austin has made a preset with that kind of chorus sound :)
Not exactly but try some of the Roland JC 120 sounds.
The new Factory presets have a great Police one - I think the word “Moon” is in then preset title. Or “Message.” @Admin M@ did a great job with those. You can always copy the effects blocks into your own favorite clean.

The new Factory presets have a great Police one - I think the word “Moon” is in then preset title. Or “Message.” @Admin M@ did a great job with those. You can always copy the effects blocks into your own favorite clean.
Thanks a lot, Austin. I appreciate your work and service as always 🙂
Thanks to @Admin M@ too and greetings from rainy Germany 😀

Simply - yes!
Thanks
Pauly

Good evening everybody,

in two or three days I will finally get my FM 3 (without HP out, but I don`t care anymore ;-)
and I saw the new Live Gold-Pack from Austin Buddy:

I heard of the Naked Amps pack, too and I wonder if these packs are worth the money or not.
It would be good to hear opinions of people who purchased one or more packs from him :)

Greetings from Germany and have a nice evening :)

I bought the Gold pack when it was on sale awhile ago. I found some amps I liked. I learned some things by looking over what he did. I have a few in use but mostly play my own presets. I’m running a Headrush 112. Probably the reason the ABs don’t kill it for me. I know they sound great I have heard demos. Not just from AB but others as well. My rig won’t get the same sound as what I hear on YouTube. Besides the Headrush my problem is volume. It’s rare I can crank it at the house. Occasionally I terrorize the neighbors but mostly my volume is down below what I would like. Life is hard. Lol

Ya know, I really cannot use the default settings/presets on the FM3. Absolutely none of them. No offence, but I just hate effects ladened anything. If I ever use a reverb or delay, it`s to just thicken/wetten slightly. AustinBuddys Live Gold for the FM3 is why I kept the FM3 tbh. The Marshall stuff so far is where I live. The Boogie presets I`ll need to tweak a tad to get em closer sounding to my old Mark III/ 50. Cal/ Mrk V.

AustinBuddys Live Gold Cygnus does all the grunt work, and leveling etc. So the Live Gold is a God Send for me. Very much looking forward to the Live Gold Cygnus on the FM9. ;p

Back
Top Bottom