Austin Buddys Live Gold - Pack - Opinions, please ;-)

How well do these presets translate to home use? I run my FM3 straight through 2 Yamaha HS8's. No expression pedal. I would assume changing the output to -10db instead of +4db would work, but anything else?

Thanks! :)
If you have no expression pedal attached make sure you change the Initial Ext. controller 1 value to 100% else the wah stays on.

So, Hi, I'm stupid... Where/what do I click in FM3-Edit to do this?? Thanks! ;)
Only can do this through the hardware. See above threads I outline what menus to scroll through to get there...

EDIT: Just an apology FYI, I respond on smart phone while I am doing my day job working on breaks to be responsive, and the typos and auto correct in some of my replies are horrendous. "can" because "cab" for example. And I just typed "becomes" in prior sentence but it wrote "because" just now - arrgh. I do try to clean it them up when I catch them on review later.

Last edited:
These presets are fantastic in that they get the most out of the FM3 and capture the natural sound of tubes .

They save so much time allowing me to focus on adding effects to an already pro levelled sound - I use them for live band through pa . I have the Ax8 , AXfx3 and now the FM3 Austin buddy packs . Even with my veteran ears I cannot self create any patches to this standard and with a few exceptions the FM3 factory patches are surpassed by Austin Buddy ( and uniform in level )

A sound investment !

Austin - just a quick question please - with my analog output knob set to just 10 o clock I am going into the red with the Live Gold patches regularly both on my FM3 ( output clipping) and on my allen and heath desk .I am using a duesenberg gtr which is beefy single coil . I am sure it's my bad but any pointers please? or quick adjustment

thanks

Nick

These presets are fantastic in that they get the most out of the FM3 and capture the natural sound of tubes .

They save so much time allowing me to focus on adding effects to an already pro levelled sound - I use them for live band through pa . I have the Ax8 , AXfx3 and now the FM3 Austin buddy packs . Even with my veteran ears I cannot self create any patches to this standard and with a few exceptions the FM3 factory patches are surpassed by Austin Buddy ( and uniform in level )

A sound investment !

Austin - just a quick question please - with my analog output knob set to just 10 o clock I am going into the red with the Live Gold patches regularly both on my FM3 ( output clipping) and on my allen and heath desk .I am using a duesenberg gtr which is beefy single coil . I am sure it's my bad but any pointers please? or quick adjustment

thanks

Nick
Nick - try the -10 setting instead of +4db and then crank the Out1 knob up and see if that does it. As long as you aren’t using the S/PDIF signal that work around is fine. MKe sure there is zero gain (or you can pad) the mixer input.

I am in the middle of a project right now but wouldn't mind trying the AB Tone Pack but have little time to tweak and program the FM3. Besides the workaround for the WAH not being physically connected, are these presets plug and play or does it take a bit of system programming to get them running on the FM3? Thanks for any advice .

I am in the middle of a project right now but wouldn't mind trying the AB Tone Pack but have little time to tweak and program the FM3. Besides the workaround for the WAH not being physically connected, are these presets plug and play or does it take a bit of system programming to get them running on the FM3? Thanks for any advice .
Others will chime in, but "Plug and Play" is the intent for live sound -- and any tweaks you have to make will be for your FRFRs, guitars, and how you play...

Well.....I just took the plunge and ordered the AB Gold pack. Honestly, I can just now (barely) get my FM3 to make sound -- so early I am on the steep learning curve -- that I probably should not expect much out of the AB Gold set until I myself learn the FM3 a little better. But....going back to my (previous) AX8, many users on this forum raved about custom IRs, often stating how wonderful certain purchased IRs sounded over those included with the unit from the factory. This AB Gold purchase is my experiment into this question: does a Preset / IR made by a knowledgeable professional give me a better result than I could eventually achieve on my own if I took the time? I don't yet know the answer, but I feel like this purchase can be a real learning experience for me. Plus, AB is just such a great contributor and offers so much insight that I don't see how I can help but become smarter from this process.

One quick question: What kind of program file is the ".fclayout" file? My computer does not recognize the file, and no application I own seems to open it.

Well.....I just took the plunge and ordered the AB Gold pack. Honestly, I can just now (barely) get my FM3 to make sound -- so early I am on the steep learning curve -- that I probably should not expect much out of the AB Gold set until I myself learn the FM3 a little better. But....going back to my (previous) AX8, many users on this forum raved about custom IRs, often stating how wonderful certain purchased IRs sounded over those included with the unit from the factory. This AB Gold purchase is my experiment into this question: does a Preset / IR made by a knowledgeable professional give me a better result than I could eventually achieve on my own if I took the time? I don't yet know the answer, but I feel like this purchase can be a real learning experience for me. Plus, AB is just such a great contributor and offers so much insight that I don't see how I can help but become smarter from this process.

One quick question: What kind of program file is the ".fclayout" file? My computer does not recognize the file, and no application I own seems to open it.
Fclayout is imported by axedit if you want to use ABs foot controller layout

Okay.....I have had some limited success....I was able to simply drag-and-drop each of the groups of AB Gold Presets into the Tools-->Manage Presets-->Browser window. From there, I was able to audition a number of the AB Gold Presets. I consider that to be a BIG step forward for me, and I am grateful for the continued support. Many of the Presets sound really dark to me, but I think that is because of the "wah pedal issue," which I have read about a couple of times now. I have not yet figured out how to disable it, but I will.

I do have a couple of other questions, if anyone has an insight to spare:

1. In the Preset title, AB sometimes adds a suggestion to try:

a). "Try CS2" which I believe to stand for Control Switch 2. I confess I am having trouble finding this CS2. Where is this switch? What it is operating?

b). "Try Saturation" -- okay, I ran into this on a Trainwreck Rocket Preset....and I found the Saturation switch in the amp block. Weird thing is, I cannot hear a single lick of a difference between having that Saturation turned ON or OFF....maybe it is one of those subtle differences like NOS tubes which only some people can hear......or maybe I am doing something wrong?

2. I had read that the AB Gold pack had very balanced output levels between the Presets.....I am not finding that to be the case, as some are quite loud while others are very quiet. This makes me think I may have something configured incorrectly somewhere.....or that there is a global noise gate or volume pedal somewhere I am supposed to turn off?

Otherwise, I actually think I am making some good progress. This is my first time downloading Presets over the internet and auditioning them, so I am very happy that the process overall seems to be working. To my ears, some of the new Presets sound very nice, but it is too early for me to really render an option as to whether I like the AB Gold better than the factory ones. Still learning....and thanks to all for the continued support.

@Paultergeist have you read the readme? The LiveGold presets come with 3 PDFs, and I think most of your questions will be answered if you take a timeout from tweaking to read the literature.

If you're still not sure what 'CS2' means, you probably want to start with some rudimentary YouTube videos that show you the basics of Fractal products. Leon Todd's videos are a good start, as are Austin Buddy's videos.

Many of the Presets sound really dark to me, but I think that is because of the "wah pedal issue," which I have read about a couple of times now. I have not yet figured out how to disable it, but I will.
This is a prime example. Austin Buddy documented this. Why rely on word-of-mouth in the forum when you can get it from the horse's mouth?

JRFarmer, I have read the three included "Read Me" files, but I confess that much of the content goes a bit over my head....hence my questions. More specifically, of the three "Read Me"files, only one document seems to be an instructional mini-manual of sorts. The other two are (a) a list of the Banks / Presets and (b) a single-page layout switch screen-shot. This brings me down to only the "README_LiveGold..." (July 2020) PDF file to search for answers. I am doing the best I can, but I believe the target audience of that guide is perhaps for more experienced users, not relative newcomers such as myself.

Back
Top Bottom